Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

20 Jun 2018


JF, janina, MichaelC, gottfried


<scribe> scribe: gottfried

(Not enough people present to make decision)

Agenda Overview; Announcements

Janina: We don't have a quorum, but we should still touch on status items.

Gottfried: Maybe talk about recruiting new folks?

Janina: Let's do that under AOB

zakum, close this item

Charter Renewal Update

Michael: Judy had some last-minute changes for me. Now done. Sent to management this week.
... Hoping for forwarding to AC soon

Captcha FPWD

Janina: Michael working on a draft document. Hope to do a cfc on fpwd soon.
... s/fpwd/fpwd
... Hope we can finalize this doc before TPAC.

TPAC 2018 https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Meetings/TPAC_2018

Janina: Registration is now open. Register at https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35125/TPAC2018/.
... We might want to have some joint activity with the TPAC. I will register our interest to meet with other groups.
... APA meets on Mon and Tue.
... Also possibility of having a horizontal review discussion during the plenary on Wed.
... With all groups doing horizontal review.
... Everybody should know that they need to check off the accessibility check through us.

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/products/8


<trackbot> action-2111 -- Janina Sajka to Check on the status of our previous comments on payments -- due 2017-02-02 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2111

Janina: Still working on it#.

Michael: Judy will talk with somebody on Friday, together with Janina. Our comments from the past have not been addressed.

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

Web Audio API, https://www.w3.org/TR/2018/WD-webaudio-20180619/

Michael: We last looked at it in 2013 - we did not have comments then. So probably no problem.

Janina: Handling of multiple audio devices may be an issue? Maybe beyond scope though...

Michael: Don't see anything about multiple output devices.

Janina: Give it to me for review.

<MichaelC> ACTION: janina to review Web Audio API

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2172 - Review web audio api [on Janina Sajka - due 2018-06-27].

<MichaelC> action-2172: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Web_Audio_API

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2172 Review web audio api.

<MichaelC> action-2172: https://www.w3.org/TR/webaudio/

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2172 Review web audio api.

Other Business

Gottfried: Should new people be from companies?

Michael: For most parts, we welcome invited experts. But might be a problem if people come from big companies.
... without the company being a W3C member.
... We are in a downward spiral because we have few people doing work. And since we are not doing much work, we don't get attention and new people.
... We have all these projects: verticals, spec reviews, payment process. How can we do this from where we are right now?

Gottfried: I could send something to people i am in contact with. Do we have something like an invitation or advertisement?

Michael: It might make sense to put together an invitation white paper. What APA does...

Janina: I can do this. Something like an about us page.

Gottfried: Does not need to be long. Just requirements, and links to information.

Michael: We have some things up on our web page. Verticals, task forces, spec reviews. We could make that into a resource.

Janina: I will draft a simple "about us" page. Who we are and what we do.

Gottfried: We have some incentives for people to work with us, e.g. author names are on the docs.

Michael: We have task forces that are technically dead. Can we do something for project leadership?
... You can talk about payments with Judy on Fri
... We lost our credibility for CSS because we pushed so much for this tf, but haven't done our work.

Gottfried: Need projects working on Web accessibility. No European projects on this topic anymore, as far as i know.

Michael: Shadi has some European funding, but not set up for individual participation in APA or so. Hard to get funding through W3C - but we could talk about it.

Gottfried: European people could try to get money from the EU.

Michael: Shadi has expertise in working with the European Commission. There are also foundations.
... Judy is promoting APA as one of the really important groups in W3C.
... But our small size makes it difficult to sell it.

Janina: For specific purposes, we could approach special organizations. E.g. for payment, banks and credit card organizations?
... And organizations working on accessibility of these things.
... World Bank

Michael: We would need a development person.

Gottfried: Could we ask Shadi to think about funding?

Michael: He looks through European funding anyway - he might be able to help.

Janina: Worth asking.

Michael: Lack of visible activity, lack of public knowledge on how to participate, lack of leadership in various subtasks, lack of funding to increase participation.
... Other things?

Janina: Active groups: Personalization, Coga, RTQF
... We need people for looking into new publications.

Michael: Maybe that is not interesting enough for people.

Janina: We have both successes and failures in our tf approach.
... Not sure a spec review tf would resolve that.

Michael: Technically, we have a spec review tf - but never operated as separate entity.
... Keep recruiting issue as a monthly topic in our calls?

Gottfried: Good to remind people and keep it on the radar.

Michael: We might struggle with quorum for the next couple of month.

Janina: We can add this to standard checkin at the beginning of the agenda. Replace APA charter...

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: janina to review Web Audio API

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.152 (CVS log)
$Date: 2018/06/20 16:40:38 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.152  of Date: 2017/02/06 11:04:15  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/fpd/fpwd/
Succeeded: s/fpd/fpwd/
Succeeded: s/ti/it#/
Default Present: JF, janina, MichaelC, gottfried
Present: JF janina MichaelC gottfried
Found Scribe: gottfried
Inferring ScribeNick: gottfried
Found Date: 20 Jun 2018
People with action items: janina

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]