Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

23 Aug 2017

See also: IRC log


janina, Gottfried, IanPouncey, MichaelC


<scribe> scribe: Gottfried

preview agenda with items from two minutes

TPAC 2017 https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Meetings/TPAC_2017

Gottfried: Liaison with JTC1 SC35 needs to be followed up. Will send a message to Judy and Shadi.

CSS Task Force -- Ian

Ian: Contacted a few people for the task force.
... Will look at my action items by tomorrow.
... I cannot assign tickets to people not on the tf.

Michael: They should join the tf. Otherwise add them to the repo.

Push API Next Steps

Janina: See my message from the last hour.

<janina> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2017Aug/0017.html

Janina: We should turn this around quickly. Is this sufficient?
... If people agree with this language, we can run a quick CFC this week.

Michael: Will provide enhanced wording.

Janina: No problem with that.

<janina> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2017Aug/0018.html

Janina: PUSH API said that we should provide a fix for the Notification spec.
... This email proposes that some use cases are unaddressed, and we need a new section 2.12 Defer and Queue.
... I suppose someone should write code for the use case "Do Not Disturb".
... Who could do that?
... At least we would have filed an issue on this.

Michael: Shane is typically the guy for this.

Janina: I will ask him.

Michael: Would need to read the Notification spec.

Janina: Fortunately, it is not a long spec.

<MichaelC> Accessibility Considerations

<MichaelC> Push API features introduce a number of needs for a "Do Not Disturb" functionality in various web applications, whether accessed via mobile device or desktop browser. This functionality should be addressed by the Web Notifications specificaton. Web Notifications currently does not provide this feature but an issue has been filed requesting the feature:

<MichaelC> [URI of issue]

<MichaelC> Meanwhile, until the use cases described in this issue are appropriately addressed, implementors of this specification should be aware that accessibility problems might be triggered by implementations of this specification and attempt to minimize their impact.

Michael: Header should go into "Privacy, security and accessibility considerations" (standard section)

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/products/8


<trackbot> action-2124 -- Janina Sajka to Follow up with johannes wilm on input events 1 and 2 wrt our comments on input events non-leveled -- due 2017-05-17 -- CLOSED

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2124

Gottfried: Need another week


<trackbot> action-2139 -- Janina Sajka to File issue with input events about at getting message properly -- due 2017-08-16 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2139

Michael: This action was to file an issue.

Janina: I thought the next step was to have a conversation with him. Let's keep this open.

<MichaelC> action-2139: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2017Aug/0019.html

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2139 File issue with input events about at getting message properly.


<trackbot> action-2135 -- Janina Sajka to Review cloud browser use cases https://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/main_page/cloud_browser_tf/usecases -- due 2017-07-21 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2135


<trackbot> action-2133 -- Janina Sajka to Manage review of payment handler api https://www.w3.org/tr/payment-handler/ -- due 2017-06-28 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2133


<trackbot> action-2131 -- Michael Cooper to Ask webappsec if csp is meant to block bookmarklets, and raise issue of a11y scripts that users explicitly request (not xss) -- due 2017-05-17 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2131

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

<MichaelC> CSS Text Module Level 3

"This CSS3 module defines properties for text manipulation and specifies their processing model. It covers line breaking, justification and alignment, white space handling, and text transformation."

Janina: Ian, does this need review?

Michael: May be related to low vision. Could allow to do stupid things.

Ian: Stupid things you shouldn't do should be covered by parts of WCAG 2.1.

Michael: Some things didn't make it to WCAG 2.1, for some reasons.

Ian: This is probably fine.
... Most of this can be done already.

Proposal re review attributions -- Michael

Michael: No need to review.

Janina: Michael had an idea to credit reviewers of specs.
... Would it be good to have reviewers listed?

Michael: How can we increase the pool of reviewers?
... W3C has an acknowledgment section. We could list reviewers here.
... For APA, either Janina or I send the comments. Then we are seen as the commenters.
... Would it be helpful to provide a clear attribution, and to encourage the receiving wg to list the reviewers in the ack section.

Ian: Yes, makes sense. Credit and trail of people involved.

Gottfried: Good to justify my time as professor in standards committees.

Michael: We should put a footnote in our comments. I will think about this.

Other Business

Ian: I have a question to LĂ©onie. Janina sent an email about input events, back in June.

Janina: Question came from Johannes Wilm.
... We asked him to join a telecon, as a response to the series of questions.

Ian: That answers my question.

Finding APA activity on spec reviews

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Main_Page

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Spec_Review

Michael: The APA Wiki page has a link to "Specification review".

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Category:Spec_Review

Michael: Has instructions on how to do spec review.
... You can search on this page for "input events".

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Input_Events_Level_2

Michael: You should quickly find all the background and comments that we produced in the past to a specific spec.

Janina: I am trying to put relevant links into the APA agenda each time as "APA resources".
... We will meet next week.

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.152 (CVS log)
$Date: 2017/08/23 16:45:22 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.152  of Date: 2017/02/06 11:04:15  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/on the tf/not on the tf/
Succeeded: s/"Defer and Queue"/"Do Not Disturb"/
Default Present: janina, Gottfried, IanPouncey
Present: janina Gottfried IanPouncey MichaelC
Regrets: leonie
Found Scribe: Gottfried
Inferring ScribeNick: Gottfried
Found Date: 23 Aug 2017
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2017/08/23-apa-minutes.html
People with action items: 

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]