Dataset Exchange Working Group Weekly teclo

18 May 2017

Meeting Minutes


kcoyle: Let's get started...

kcoyle: This is the DXWG. Looks like folks are all on IRC and WebEx - you need to be on both

kcoyle: The WG has 3 main deliverables (from charter)

<Jaroslav_Pullmann> present Jaroslav_Pullmann

kcoyle: Timeline is ca. 2 years
… Note that the last 4-6 months is taken up by a lot of process requirements, so we're looking at getting the bulk of the work done by the end of 2018

kcoyle: With 3 separate deliverables... we can break into subgroups, we can work in one group.
… Expect to meet for an hour a week
… We'll discuss timing shortly

kcoyle: Introduces self. From DCMI

Caroline_: Introduces self

<Caroline_> kcoyle and Caroline are the Chairs

phila: Introduces self

<Caroline_> phila is the W3C team contact

achille_z: Introduces self from INSIGHT Centre, Galway.
… Interested in the DCAT part - INSIGHT is what was DERI which is where DCAT came from originally.

alejandra: Introduces self, Uni Oxford, eResearch Centre.
… Interested in all deliverables. Looking at DCAT. We've been looking at NIH funded portal and more

AndreaPerego: Introduces self, from European Commission's JRC
… author of geoDCAT-AP
… aspects of metadata interop across domains interest me
… And use of DCAT for research data. We run the corporate catalogue at JRC

annette_g: Introduces from LBNL. Interested in profile aspects. work for national energy sci community

ByronCinNZ: Introduces self from Internal Affairs in NZ
… Also interestec in conneg by profile

<SimonCox> note it is 02:15 for Byron right now

chile: Is actually Markus Friedberg from Uni Leipzig

colleen: From research data service at uni Illinois

DaveB: Introduces self from Thomson Reuters
… Mostly interested in DCAT and profile handling
… number of initiatives focussing on content ecosystems and how they might work in automated ways.

ericstephan: Introduces self from PNNL. Interested in DCAT, also scientific realm, seeing where APs can go

Jacco: From CWI in Amsterdam
… Interested in research data management

Jaroslav_Pullmann: Jaroslav_Pullmann and Christian Mader from Fraunhofer. Both involved in Industrial Data Space project. Extension of DCAT towards dynamic distribution patterns
… Lots of interests

DaveB: pleased to hear all that

LarsG: From DNB. Interested in all 3. The profile negotiation which is what I'm here to work on.


<annette_g> maybe type something, Makx?

Makx: Independent consultant. Working in metadata throughout career, including DCMI
… Been involved in APs since we coined the term way back
… Was a member of the WG that worked in DCAT and DWBP. Also I'm editor of the EC's DCAT-AP and more

Martin_B: From Eccenca
… Worked with Markus at Uni Leipzig on Data ID. Interetsed in implementing this in our work.

mathieu: From INSIGHT Centre in Galway (with Achille)
… Interetsed in extending DCAT for data consumers, relations between datasets etc.
… Have done work in education and smart cities.

MJ_Han: From Illinois. Interested in 2nd deliverable

<annette_g> presnet+ annette_g

<Makx> I hear people refer to three deliverables, but there are four deliverables at https://‌www.w3.org/‌2017/‌dxwg/‌wiki/‌Main_Page

nandana_: From Uni Pol Madrid. Working Data quality and description

newton: Works with Caroline_ at Nic.br. Worked on DWBP with many folks here. Interestec in conneg

Ixcell: At UCLC. Study what people need to know for dataset assessment
… Newly joined member so it's all new

PWinstanley: From Scottish Gov, based in Glasgow. Interested in the 3 deliverables.
… Made early assessment of DCAT a while back. Have written guides on it. Was a member of DWBP and Share-PSI project

<MJ_Han> For deliverables: https://‌www.w3.org/‌2017/‌dxwg/‌charter#deliverables

<Makx> OK, I see thare are three deliverables at https://‌www.w3.org/‌2017/‌dxwg/‌charter, yes.

RiccardoAlbertoni: Researcher in CNR Italy
… Interested especially in data and linkset quality. Was a member of the DWBP and was a co-editor of the data quality vocab. Interetsed in all 3 deliverables

RubenVerborgh: From Ghent University – imec
… Interest in low level tech - how clients and servers can agree
… So mostly working on the 3rd part with Lars

SimonCox: With CSIRO. It's 00:30 Friday for me
… Works in Land and Water on Environmental data, working for years in data description. Especially interested in scope of DCAT, potential around data lifecycle etc.

<ByronCinNZ> No problem!

KateRoberts: At BOM. Background in metadata, libraries etc.

Use Cases

kcoyle: WGs always start with use cases. We need use cases
… it's advised that these UCs be real, something you're doing or attempting to do
… We have set up a wiki page

<kcoyle> https://‌www.w3.org/‌2017/‌dxwg/‌wiki/‌Use_Case_Working_Space

kcoyle: Need to know who you are, if it pertains to specific deliverables. Links to documents and projects are good. And what requirements arise from these.
… The UCs will be discussed by the WG and accepted or not
… And a Use Case document will be part of our deliverables
… This means that we need one or more editors for the Use Cases and Requirements Document (UCR)
… Make sense of the UCs, do the formatting etc.
… There are people here who have expereince of how this works - help is at hand
… It would be good if we could have a volunteer early
… The UCR doc is one of the easier editing jobs you can havea in a WG. If you don't expect to be an editor in one of the primary docs, this is a good one to do.
… Please let us know, post to the list etc.
… It would be good to have a good body of use cases before the next meeting
… It sounds as if people already have quite a bit to say

Caroline_: Just to add - some people are new, so if you are an editor, it doesn't mean you can't also edit anotehr doc

kcoyle: We won't stop you doing more work

<Caroline_> to get into the queue type q+

<Caroline_> phila: IRC is very important :)

Jaroslav_Pullmann: What is the gathering process. Edit the wiki?

kcoyle: Yes, please just add to the wiki page

kcoyle: That wiki page is a draft area

<alejandra_> question: can we all edit the wiki page?

Caroline_: 2 things - the wiki page is editable by everyone in the WG

Caroline_: Also, Karen and I will always post the agenda for each meeting at least 24 hours ahead of the meeting. You can always send us agenda items

<kcoyle> ?

annette_g: Should we try and focus use cases towards specific tasks

kcoyle: I wish I could answer that definitively. I think most UCs might tend towards one task, but it may pertain to all three.

Regular meeting slot

kcoyle: We have had a discussion about this on e-mail.
… Simon you wanted to make a case for a meeting time?

SimonCox: I think Andrea also supported ... with such a distribution, it's hard to get a time that suits everyone

<AndreaPerego> +1

(California to New Zealand)

SimonCox: If people in Europe are willing to work in the evening (before midnight), Australisia can get up earlier

<Zakim> RubenVerborgh, you wanted to propose a simple Doodle

SimonCox: I suggest 20:00 UTC is probably the only choice

<SimonCox> https://‌www.timeanddate.com/‌worldclock/‌meetingtime.html?iso=20170518&p1=264&p2=152&p3=157&p4=136&p5=263&p6=64&p7=224

RubenVerborgh: Why don't we do a big Doodle

kcoyle: I assume we'll do another Doodle

<alejandra_> can someone send a link to documentation for IRC , please?

<Zakim> annette_g, you wanted to make a suggestion

<SimonCox> Don't like alternating :-(

I wwas going to propose alternate times

<SimonCox> Lose momentum, no predictability

<RubenVerborgh> also, if we split into subgroups, might not be too much of a problem?

<RubenVerborgh> so maybe good to discuss that early on?

<Makx> I just created a use case. Is that the way to do it?

<kcoyle> ?

<Makx> https://‌www.w3.org/‌2017/‌dxwg/‌wiki/‌Use_Case_Working_Space

ericstephan: I was just going to agree with Annette on alternating times

ericstephan: The concern is that it splits the group

<AndreaPerego> Same concern here.

Caroline_: I think Eric said something important and I was going to say something similar. We can meet at 2 different times, 20:00 UTC is one of the times, anotehr s the one we have met today
… Then it's important that we decide the dates already
… Maybe next week we meet at 20:00 UTC and then back to this time
… But we need to have a regular pattern so people can plan.

SimonCox: I will say that alternating times are bad. It always splits the group.

SimonCox: I think it's likely that we'll split into multiple parallel groups anda then the possibility is that the sub groups will find it easier to schedule meetings

phila: +1 to Simon

<AndreaPerego> +1 to SimonCox

<Makx> I don't have a problems with 2000UTC

<Caroline_> +1 to I don't have a problems with 2000UTC

kcoyle: We haven't talked about how we'll organise ourselves but as Simon says, it's likely we'll have sub groups.

kcoyle: Any more questions on the use cases?

Jaroslav_Pullmann: Who is the contact to get the UCs consistent

kcoyle: The WG really does need to agree to the UCs

<SimonCox> Re questions: best if all mail goes to group email reflector - transparency, record-keeping

<SimonCox> +1 to Caroline_

Jaroslav_Pullmann: What I saw with other groups, was the need to cluster the use cases - to make UCs comparable and to be able to elaborate

kcoyle: That's what the editor(s) will do

<Zakim> Caroline_, you wanted to add the importance of always writing to the mailing list

Caroline_: It is important to always communicate via the mailing list
… This might be frightening for some people - it was for me at first - but it's the only way to keep the conversation going and people involved

SimonCox: I presume the assumption is that we'll be using the Issue tracker and Actions?

<RubenVerborgh> Added 2 use cases as well.

SimonCox: But I'll note that we've got tangled up with GH Issues. Some issues are in both places, some only in one.
… I think the WWG needs to establish a plan

kcoyle: Yes, we'll need to decide which to use.

<Zakim> phila, you wanted to talk about ReSpec adn GH

<RubenVerborgh> You can link commit/pull request to issue by including "Closes #37" in the commit message's extended info.

<Zakim> RubenVerborgh, you wanted to ask what the advantage of the actions tracker is

<Caroline_> phila: Github doesn't have an action tracker the same way IRC has

kcoyle: Thanks everyone for joining today. We will resolve the issue of the call timing ASAP. And we'll post a mail about the UCs very soon.

<RiccardoAlbertoni> bye see you next week

<AndreaPerego> Thanks, and bye!

<Makx> bye

<annette_g> bye all!

<ByronCinNZ> bye

<RubenVerborgh> bye bye!

<LarsG> bye

<nandana_> Bye!