Web of Things IG weekly meeting

11 May 2016

See also: IRC log


Toru_Kawaguchi, Johannes_Hund, Joerg_Heuer, Victor_Charpenay, Daniel_Peintner, Kaz_Ashimura, Dave_Raggett, Michael_Koster, Darko_Anicic, Frank_Reusch, Katsuyoshi_Naka, Kazuaki_Nimura, Markus_Jung, Masato_Ohura, Nan_Wang, Sebastian_Kaebisch, Takuki_Kamiya, Yingying_Chen, Yun_Li, Kazuo_Kajimoto
dsr, taki


<dsr> scribenick: dsr

Johannes runs through the agenda for today’s meeting.

Any additions to the agenda?


Plugfest Requirements

<kaz> Beijing f2f wiki

Daniel: we would like to do some pretesting before travelling to Beijing.

<michael> Daniel: please review and add any additional requirements

We added a section to the wiki page for people to provide network requirements for the plugfest.

Kaz: this includes whether people need access to the external Internet

<jhund> Plugfest Requirements section of the meeting wiki

Daniel confirms that the link Kaz posted is the right one.

The idea is to provide a checking tool for the Beijing team to verify that the network at the meeting venue meets our requirements.

Johannes: shows us the W3C action tracker (as linked from the IG webpage.

<kaz> Action Tracker

Johannes: please add a bullet point to the wiki page on recent changes

See https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/Main_Page#Latest_Updates

This is a high level summary of recent updates

This should make it easier to track e.g. when documents are moved from the wiki to github or vice versa

<kaz> Beijing f2f wiki

Johannes summarises the plan for the Beijing meetings

There is a members only page for the suggestions for presentations for the open days

<jhund> https://www.w3.org/Member/wiki/WoT/WoT_F2F_201607

Dave reminds everyone to submit their request for a visa invitation letter, see:


Johannes adds everyone should also register for logistical purposes: see https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/1/WoTF2FJulyBeijing/

Yingying: everyone who expecting to give a presentation should email me with a photo and a brief introduction for themselves

<kaz> scribenick: taki

IG Charter

DR: Matthias has been helping on GitHub.
... I sent it to the mailing list.
... Please comment on scope section.
... Also on deliverables.
... We can go through the proposed content.

DP: I want to tell you that Matthias wrote about making pull request.
... I can show it once during the call.

DR: Is everyone comfortable using GitHub?

KA: We should think about basic policy of updating charter.

DR: We already have list of deliverables.

KA: We need brief discussion about basic deliverables using 5 minutes.
... People maybe not very good at...
... It may be better to have chat, and reach consensus, instead of starting at GitHub.
... People may not be very good at directly using GitHub.

Sebastian: Dave wrote good introduction.
... What is this group, and what do we want to achieve, we need those information.

JH: I am not sure if we can discuss all the details.

Sebastian: Four people made comments on Introduction section so far.

JH: As Kaz said, we need to reach high level consensus on the call.

<kaz> Pull Requests

<kaz> draft IG Charter

DR: we need to have stable charter in 2 or 3 weeks.

JH: We want to avoid that some people don't comment because of tooling difficulty.

DR: Please feel free to use email as well.

JH: It is totally valid way.
... You can always see the latest charter from this link...

<jhund> http://w3c.github.io/wot/charters/wot-ig-2016.html

DR: We need to give a timeline.
... We need estimates as to when they will be published.

JH: Regarding rechartering, when we will have individual documents.

DR: We need to describe what we have done in the current charter period as SK mentioned.
... The editors of those documents should provide estimates.

JH: We already have first versions.

DR: We have editors draft.
... we need to publish formally.

JH: I will contact induvidual editors as to the release date estimation.

KA: We can publish the current version as is as the first version of Notes.

DR: The group needs to go through review in the group before publication.

KA: One week or two.

<kaz> web&tv ig charter

<jhund> ACTION on me to contact editors to provide a release date incl. a 1-week CFC

<trackbot> Created ACTION-50 - jhund to contact editors to provide a release date incl. a 1-week cfc [on Johannes Hund - due 2016-05-18].

KA: WebTV charter example is here...
... It didn't provide explicit schedule.
... Detailed information would be nicer.
... BTW, I wanted to make sure our procedure that during IG calls those who made pull request can introduce it during call.

JH: We should have executive summary during call and decide what to do.

WG Charter

JH: Going over to WG charter now...
... We have rendered document here...


DR: Michael proposed replacing one of those diagrams.

MK: Github issue I filed regarding transfer layer.
... HTTP, COAP, MQTT should be included. If we have more transfer layer, we should use REST, and use them as transport layer.

DR: There are many protocols. What would be the criteria?
... Zigbee, KNX, etc.

MK: We should include those.

DR: Can you rephrase it for generality?

MK: Yes.
... I will plugin a table.

Naka: My issue is thing description.

<kaz> Naka-san's issue

Naka: There is no description about thing description.
... Outside people may not understand. We should add a sentence.
... second point is, 1st, 2nd, 3rd bullet about thing description should be reconstructed according to current practices.

DP: about Micheael comment. I went over all issues, and created pull requests. We might want to merge them.

MK: I will do that.

KA: We should add IDs to all the headings (<h2>, <h3>, etc.).
... in the template.

Toru: Number #131.
... Both are addressing the same issue as Naka-san pointed out.

<kaz> issue-133

JH: Should we merge?

Toru: Matthias's text is richer, and we should use it.

JH: I will merge.
... We could go to other charter points...

DP: Figure, and REST and transfer protocol. I am not sure changing the table would fix those issues.

<kaz> issue-140

<inserted> DP: was https://github.com/w3c/charter-drafts/issues/68 in the old repo

DP: So.. we can close this one.
... Coordination with other groups. Feel free to make a pull request on that.

DR: Diagram illustrates the architecture.
... I don't understand DP's point.

DP: Issue 68 is about how we integrate coordination with other groups.

DR: I will be happy to have one in the charter.
... I can use Takuki prepared.

JH: Adding Github issue regarding adding a picture, as floating right...

<kaz> issue-130

Toru: Green highlighted text is the proposed change. (2.3 of WG charter)

JH merging in the proposed change...

Toru: Proposing to add a point.

<kaz> issue-129

Toru: section 2.2
... A bullet may be needed for "cross platform security..."

DR: We need a bullet.

<dsr> We need Oliver for reviewing the security wording

JH merging in this change...

Naka: We need another pull-request. (#131)

<inserted> https://github.com/w3c/wot/issues/131

JH: #104. Discussion between Dave and Matthias.

<inserted> https://github.com/w3c/wot/pull/104

DR: This is about definitions.
... Time sequence of values, vs stream
... We have some misunderstanding. What to expose to application, and protocol are different.

Toru: #77. This is old.

<inserted> https://github.com/w3c/wot/issues/77

Toru: This was already resolved.
... The intention was about deliverable wordings.

JH: I consider this as resolved.
... Is there anything that was not covered?

DP: I did not cover those raised during face-to-face.
... We need to go through minutes.

Joerg: Can we do that? We can put it in the next telecon agenda.

DP: I can try to check the minutes. and see if there are anything that are not resolved yet.

<jhund> ACTION on dape to go through the minutes of montreal f2f to see if the raised issues are vetted

<trackbot> Created ACTION-51 - Dape to go through the minutes of montreal f2f to see if the raised issues are vetted [on Daniel Peintner - due 2016-05-18].

transfer layer and resource later

JH: we could go on to the next point in agenda.

MK: I sent an email about working documents. I showed scope and what problem I am addressing.
... Transfer layer and resource layer to map to different protocols.

JH: We need a document for developers.

MK: It is the first milestone.
... I will need to make a pull request.
... I will be able to submit it next week.

architecture update

Nimura-san: I updated architecture document.
... It incorporates scenarios section.
... We have eight scenarios.
... based on the last discussion.
... Each section describes how it works
... I put the terminology in second section.
... I defined more words.
... I did another pull request, please accept that.
... it is about missing png.

JH merging the pull request...

next call

JH: For the next call. Discussion of two charters. IG charter, we should add some summary.

JH adjorning the call.

<kaz> [ adjourned ]

Summary of Action Items

<trackbot> Created ACTION-50 - jhund to contact editors to provide a release date incl. a 1-week cfc [on Johannes Hund - due 2016-05-18].

<trackbot> Created ACTION-51 - Dape to go through the minutes of montreal f2f to see if the raised issues are vetted [on Daniel Peintner - due 2016-05-18].

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.144 (CVS log)
$Date: 2016/05/11 14:00:29 $