Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

02 Jul 2015


See also: IRC log


Addison, Steve, Dennis, Richard, David
Leandro, JcK
Addison Phillips
Addison Phillips



Action Items


<trackbot> action-364 -- Richard Ishida to Document how "sticky" language negotiation is done in our pages as an article -- due 2014-11-07 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/364

richard: put out first draft for review

<r12a> http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-site-conneg

close action-364

<trackbot> Closed action-364.


<trackbot> action-399 -- Dennis Tan Tanaka to Update article "an introduction to multilingual web addresses" -- due 2015-02-12 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/399

dennis: sent richard my edits

richard: what more will we do?
... some sections may need up updating
... some about domain names and some about path names

<r12a> will you work on path sections as well as domain name sections

<r12a> Dennis, will you work on path sections as well as domain name sections?

<DennisTan> Not an expert on path but I came find sources to update path sections


<trackbot> action-404 -- Dennis Tan Tanaka to Check on zwj and friends in idna so that we can document in charmod-norm -- due 2015-02-19 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/404


<trackbot> action-444 -- Addison Phillips to Write to w3 parties requesting that the publication tool be updated to support note track documents after richard identifiers who to ping -- due 2015-06-04 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/444

richard: had lots of discussions with folks but not a lot of headway
... have to change way documents are referred to with IDs
... have to change before this can be addressed
... no commitment
... worth you writing this, bearing in mind that you'll probably be told no

addison: just the echidna team?

richard: if you write to plh, he'll tell you he already explained it
... echidna-issues as chair?
... listed the documents that we need it for in my request, demonstrates genuine need


<trackbot> action-447 -- Richard Ishida to Publish updated version of klreq -- due 2015-07-02 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/447

close action-447

<trackbot> Closed action-447.


<trackbot> action-448 -- Addison Phillips to Write a proposal to the working group for options in handling language and direction metadata in cases such as mediastream labels -- due 2015-07-02 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/448

addison: done at https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/ContentMetadataJavaScriptDiscussion

close action-448

<trackbot> Closed action-448.

close action-449

<trackbot> Closed action-449.


<trackbot> action-450 -- Richard Ishida to Ask dom to change settings to notify of all traffic on our issues via email -- due 2015-07-02 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/450

close action-450

<trackbot> Closed action-450.

richard: he's already done it

Info Share

<r12a> http://w3c.github.io/tlreq/

richard: have the beginnings of a requirements document
... tibetan
... only a beginning... don't get too excited
... go ahead from plh on both arabic and ethiopic
... coming week or so
... get them set up
... mongolian stuff
... got some people on the list
... greg eck sent a note
... working on standardized use of mongolian variation selectors

RADAR and Active Work Review



richard: reviewing tab related metadata
... tabular data on the web
... as well as metadata vocab
... layout requirements
... chinese is moving along
... angel is out this week
... need to develop a plan
... further changes to vertical text article

<r12a> http://www.w3.org/International/articles/vertical-text/

addison: javascript, had coffee with norbert
... the es-402 effort is kind of stalled other than being made consistenti with es-2015

CSV Comments

<r12a> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2015Jul/0000.html


human readable formats for numeric percentages

richard: they say in numbers section
... to be recognized as a number, pass these criteria
... have to have a percent sign after
... have a decimal and thousands separator
... didn't specify one before
... there are other patterns you might not account for
... implementers should allow patterns described in CLDR
... won't have to reissue csv spec
... they specify plus and minus signs

addison: will create trac issues, because the assumptions are wrong

richard: should csv folks ...
... they changed to allow percent before/after, some spaces, etc.


addison: only ascii digits
... what about html5?

richard: did suggest early on?


addison: agree we should push back, they should use cldr patters and tokens to accomplish this
... use same data values

steve: need to support cldr
... that's how we're presenting data---based on these formats

<scribe> ACTION: addison: respond on csvw issue 617 officially explaining that the WG believes that CLDR's values and data structures are needed [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/07/02-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-451 - Respond on csvw issue 617 officially explaining that the wg believes that cldr's values and data structures are needed [on Addison Phillips - due 2015-07-09].

richard: ivan proposed a compromise, haven't reviewed yet


determining cell text direction

richard: things are messy for text direction
... explaining what's going on
... mati's response not yet included

<r12a> https://github.com/w3c/csvw/pull/638

richard: here is Jeni's request for review of changes

<r12a> https://github.com/w3c/csvw/commit/371df96619086f6c62ce7e1781fcf5fb94055415

richard: mati raised additional issues
... this is complicated to discuss

steve: mati looking for inheritance hierarchy of direction

richard: if you set a default direction and then look for first strong
... explained you only want one
... mati has some good comments on hierarchy
... they say somewhere in here is a default
... and the default is inherit
... bring in ivan now?

addison: okay


addison: can't have a default of inherit
... most places default is ltr

richard: should it be auto
... timing for comments

ivan: under extreme time pressure
... charter ends in september or so
... so want to publish a CR
... transition call in a week
... if deadline cannot hold, it's difficult
... we'd have to extend charter, CR needed to help ensure that


<ivan> https://github.com/w3c/csvw/issues/617#issuecomment-118039661


<r12a> http://www.unicode.org/cldr/charts/latest/by_type/numbers.number_formatting_patterns.html

ivan: can you put this alternative in?

richard: yes, will do it tomorrow?
... will do tonight

addison: will read and comment; waiting on richard to comment on numbers

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: addison: respond on csvw issue 617 officially explaining that the WG believes that CLDR's values and data structures are needed [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/07/02-i18n-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.140 (CVS log)
$Date: 2015/07/17 16:32:17 $