Web Content Accessibility Guidelines Working Group Teleconference

30 Jun 2015

See also: IRC log


Joshue, Marc, Johlic, EricE, MichaelC, Bruce_Bailey, MoeKraft, Makoto, Laura, Kenny, Katie-Haritos-Shea
David_MacD, Jon_Avila


<trackbot> Date: 30 June 2015

<Kenny> survey: https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/publication_july2015/

<Joshue> trackbot, start meeting

<trackbot> Meeting: Web Content Accessibility Guidelines Working Group Teleconference

<trackbot> Date: 30 June 2015

<Joshue> Scribenick: bruce_bailey

<MichaelC> scribe: bruce_bailey

<laura> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Scribing_Commands_and_Related_Info

Greetings and signin

Scribe instructions very helpful

Review of Editor's drafts for Techniques and Understanding documents https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/publication_july2015/


Request for working group to approve techniques and understading document

Laura spotted a broken link to Jon Gunderson's site

Marc and Micheal had some issues with diff mark displaying, but refreshing resolved

Number of edits is actually a little minimal. But we want to keep on schedule.

Leads discussed off-line some strategies to try and keep updates more steady since we have been working

We want to keep precident on publishing on schedule.

Josh and Micheal agree that we want to set pace and momentum.

Discus minor edits per survey.

RESOLUTION: Editors draft for Techniques and Understanding approved

Michael notes that this is public review version, so link will be correct for public final version.

QRG Updates from Eric


Eric: Recap from last week.

<yatil> https://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/UF_June_2015

Out ill, so not much changes.

<yatil> https://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/UF_June_2015/Results

Education and Outreach wiki page summarizes nine instances of user feedback

Strong possitive feed back on main theme.

Will incorporate some changes from recommendations and ask WG for more feedback

Hope to get out soonish, summer vaction shedule impacts things.

Laura thanks Eric for Git Hub training

Eric recorded, and is available on web ex archive, but results are not that great

Web ex does not make captioning easy.

Will be looking to upload to YouTube once we have captions

Decision still active where to host. URI to be circulated

Discussion of Low Vision Task Force - and review of draft task force work statement http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/low-vision-a11y-tf/work-statement

We asked group to review TF work statement


Laura asked if need coordination between WGs.

Josh assures that yes, this needs to happen and we are mindful of need

TF are all members of same WG

Josh agrees that there could be possibillity for conflicts with TF extensions, but we will have to figure that out as we go along.

There will mangement and oversight since we know going in this is a conflict.

No really practical to prevent ahead of time, but that is why we are doing the work, work out conflicts as we go along.

It is not realistic to anticipate any pontential conflicts but expect members to work through any dissonance.

If anyone has any further concerns or imput, please ping the list.

Katie asking if different paradigm this WG and Cognitive and Mobile TF?

Josh, different focus..

Josh: COGA is joint TF between APA (formally PF) and WCAG

Mobile is joint with UAAG

Similar brief and structure, different reports to WG

Micheal: closer to WCAG because our working group publishing results

Mike reporting some problems with IP blocking. Micheal offers some help for trouble shooting.

Katie reporting similar error message, but extra quote mark at end of URL resolved issue

Members share some experience with work arounds...

Meeting paused while Josh dropped...

Michael provides some more clarification on recent errors.

Discussion of breakdown of WG/TF tasks.

Something that has been coming up a few times relating to time use of working working group, what the working group is doing, and resources.

Chairs have been bouncing some ideas around, want to brainstorm a bit on the call.

Want to break down a bit on WG tasks.

Main function of WG, what does the WG do?

One is responses to onging comments

Second is approval of drafts

Approval of TF exentsions

Chairs would like to figure out how to do more work via mailing lists

<Joshue> Development of parameters for extension work

<Joshue> Final approval of extensions

<Joshue> Most business to be conducted via email list

<Joshue> Use new decision policy

<Joshue> Chairs maintain meeting for planning

<Joshue> BB: We used to try to get a lot of work done on the list.

<Joshue> BB: It got difficult to thread the conversations.

<Joshue> BB: We can do that, and try to solve problems as they come up.

<Joshue> BB: The bug tracking DB is useful.

Micheal suggest that there is more we can to manage email, using subject lines, etc,

We still have access to DB

Main idea is more asynchronous work

Meetings will continue

Katie points out that we can adjust as we go along

Josh confirm that these changes are not in stone

Main focus at momement is cognitive and low vision

Also mobile, and we have approval.

<Joshue> Definition of user needs and best practices

<Joshue> Development of techniques, sufficient/advisory

<Joshue> Gap analysis with WCAG 2.0

<Joshue> Extension development

<Joshue> Understanding document for extensions

<Joshue> WG chairs and TF facilitators coordinate more frequently.

GAP analysis can be from perspective of each TF

<Joshue> All WG members are in a TF.

Call for Qs

TF work is consensus by chairs that focus for the work

Please think about what TF you want to active with

Laura, how will new TF be formed?

Josh, good question, since we do not know what new technologies will be faced

Automobile and wearable on the horizon for example

Need defined need and volunteers since new TF will need hours

Laura reminds us that we had survey for new TF and it was in "post wcag" list

Josh confirms that list is common sense way to list

Laura suggest useabilty and digital instructional materials as ripe for TF

Josh asks Laura to develop a little more and forward to group or chairs

Open to other TF work

Chairs are aware that this may be awkward season for working out new work flow and habbits

<Joshue> trackbot, end meeting

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.140 (CVS log)
$Date: 2015/06/30 15:51:54 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.140  of Date: 2014-11-06 18:16:30  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/Bruce Bailey/Bruce_Bailey/
Succeeded: s/aviable/available/
Succeeded: s/Cogo/COGA/
Succeeded: s/becaus/because/
Succeeded: s/asychronis/asynchronous/
Found ScribeNick: bruce_bailey
Found Scribe: bruce_bailey
Inferring ScribeNick: bruce_bailey
Present: Joshue Marc Johlic EricE MichaelC Bruce_Bailey MoeKraft Makoto Laura Kenny Katie-Haritos-Shea
Regrets: David_MacD Jon_Avila
Found Date: 30 Jun 2015
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2015/06/30-wai-wcag-minutes.html
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]