Requirements and Changelog for "Combining Expertise to Evaluate Web Accessibility"
Purpose, Goals, Objectives
- Describe the recommended expertise required to evaluate Web sites
- Introduce the potential benefit of combining skills and perspectives from different people to achieve a more effective evaluation result
- Introduce considerations for effective collaboration among multiple evaluators
- Provide contextualized references to other parts of the updated evaluation resource suite
- Managers, decision makers, and Web developers (designers,
authors, etc.) in need of effective, high-quality evaluation resources
- Organizations, including entrepreneurs and disability organizations, that are interested in establishing in-house Web accessibility evaluation services
- Existing version
- 9 February 2006 revision
- 16 February 2006 revision
- wai-eo-editorslist may include replies to relevant e-mail comments
- Old change log (general change log for eval suite) -- no relevant change items there
- Recheck text and outbound links if other documents in resource suite are updated.
Note: See "References" section above for meeting minutes and e-mail comments.
- DONE [Intro] Remind readers that this is about trying to make sure that the Web will work well for people with disabilities.
- DONE [Opportunities] Look for a way to tweak wording on networks if possible
- DONE [Opportunities] Change “opportunities” to “approaches”
- CHANGED TO CAN -- FIT BETTER W/ SENTENCE [Involving users] Change may to will
- DONE [Considerations] Change the first H3 to “centralized vs
distributed” or some such, and clarify that distributed can work
- UNDER 2nd H3 INSTEAD [Considerations] Under first H3, add a nodd to small organizations
- DONE [Considerations] Under second H3, make reference to tapping into online communities, including user groups, as a potential source of external expertise to complement existing in-house expertise
- DONE [editor's note] Copyedit
- [Wrap] After changes above, only bring it back via survey form.
- DONE [In Purpose] Edit two of the objectives. Say usually need multiple people.
- DONE [Title] Change to: Using Combined Expertise to Evaluate Web Accessibility
- DONE [Intro] Try to make the intro punchier... break it into bullets.
- DONE [Expertise] Break out links for expertise & put in appendix at the bottom. Anchor down to that.
- [DONE] Change name of document to: Combining Expertise to Evaluate Web Accessibility. NOTE: Editor feeling slightly pulled towards something such as"Collaborating on Effective Web Accessibility Reviews," but not strongly
- [DONE] Change focus of document to combining expertise rather than forming teams
- [DONE] Reflect current practice such as "virtual teams" that combine an internal group w/ some involvement in accessibility, plus an external expert w/ the gap expertise, such as more specific knowledge of disability needs
- [DONE] Reflect current practice such as integrating accessibility evaluation capabilities throughout the organization, rather than having a specialized, isolated evaluation team
- [DOES THIS NEED MORE?] Emphasize that effective evaluation is an on-going activity, from the earliest stages of the planning and design process, not a one-time after-the-fact activity
- [DONE] Promote the relevance of evaluation work as an opportunity for the disability community, and also the benefit that involvement of people with disabilities can bring to an effective evaluation process, and the necessary expertise that they bring
- [DONE?] Try describing fluid ways in which people can balance their expertise within virtual teams
- [DONE] Try renaming the last section to: Considerations in combining expertise for Web accessibility evaluation
- [DONE] Completely revise intro again [see hand edits] to reflect new emphasis, and drop last paragraph of intro
- [DONE] Try renaming second section to: Creating Opportunities for Collaborative Evaluation and then describe the types of collaborative settings one can find, or create
- [IMPROVED INTRO INSTEAD] In "Recommended Expertise," consider providing more justification for the recommended skill spread
- [DONE] Toss most of the current content of the last section
- [DONE] Copyedit the whole document more
- [MOSTLY DONE BUT DOUBLECHECK] Check all outbound links
- [DONE. ONLY FITS IN SOME SUBSECTIONS] Ensure contextualized reference to "Involving Users..." in each subsection
- [DONE] Reorganize intro by starting with a brief paragraph of the potential role & benefit of review teams; then a brief paragraph describing what the document covers; then a brief paragraph describing what the document does not cover, and where else in the evaluation resource suite or other WAI documents one can find those related resources
- [DON'T NEED HERE] Clarify that the review teams are for conformance evals not preliminary review
- [DON'T NEED HERE] Insert placeholder link to retrofitting document
- [DONE] Copyedit
of Review Teams
- [DONE] Re-title this subsection to "Types of Review Teams" or "Role of Review Teams"
- [DONE] Trim hyperbole in first sentence of first paragraph
- [DONE] Structure section more clearly around types & roles of review teams
- [DON'T NEED HERE] Link to list of evaluation tools (and update once new list is available)
- [DONE] Add more detail to the section if possible
- [DONE] Copyedit...
of Review Teams
- [DONE] Re-title this section to "Recommended Expertise"...?
- [DONE] Change tone to "recommended expertise" rather than current tone which makes this sound like a requirement
- [DONE] Copyedit first paragraph: first a description, then "Recommended expertise includes:"
- [WHAT DO PEOPLE THINK?] Consider adding explanation of why these skills are recommended
- [DONE] Refer to "Involving Users with Disabilities..."
- [DONE] Update link to conformance testing
- [DONE] Update link to PWD Use Web
of Review Teams
- [DONE] Re-title this section to "Effective Practices of Review Teams" (or best practices?)
- [NOT READY FOR] Copyedit...
- [KEPT BUT NEEDS JUSTIFICATION] Remove "feedback" subsection and add into a general intro paragraph for this subsection
- [DONE] Remove subsection on nominating Web sites for WAI Gallery
- [DONE] Update document information at bottom of page
- [SKIMMED, BUT NEEDS PRECISE DOCUMENTATION & FOLLOW-UP] Check links to this document from rest of eval suite, and particularly from "Involving Users"