ISSUE-13: Remove 'background-origin'
- CSS3 Backgrounds and Borders
- Raised by:
- Bert Bos
- Opened on:
- There are some problems and sources of confusion associated with 'background-origin':
1) The 'background-origin' influences the 'background-position' so that in a style sheet you would normally specify them together, which in turn suggests that they should be merged. Or that 'background-origin' should be dropped, maybe in favor of a keyword in 'background-position': '10px from-border-edge'.
2) The 'background-origin' also influences the 'background-size', suggesting that *they* be merged.
3) The 'background-origin' and the 'background-clip' are likely to be very often the same (although by default, and in level 2, they are not). Elika suggested a keyword for 'background-clip' that means "same as 'background-origin'" so that you can specify globally that all clips should be the same as the origins.
- Related Actions Items:
- No related actions
- Related emails:
- [css-grid] CR Transition Request Agenda+ (from email@example.com on 2016-07-06)
- Minutes Sapporo F2F 2015-10-26 Part III: Wide Gamut/Deep Color, Scroll Snap [css-color] [css-snappoints] (from firstname.lastname@example.org on 2015-11-18)
- [CSSWG] Minutes Seoul F2F 2014-05-19 Part I: Flexbox (from email@example.com on 2014-06-08)
- Re: [css-flexbox] Better define the computed value of 'flex-basis' (from firstname.lastname@example.org on 2014-05-07)
- Re: [css-masking] editorial changes - spec update (from email@example.com on 2013-12-16)
- Re: [css-masking] editorial changes - spec update (from firstname.lastname@example.org on 2013-12-12)
- Agenda conf call 15-may-2013 (from email@example.com on 2013-05-14)
- Agenda conf call 08-may-2013 (from firstname.lastname@example.org on 2013-05-07)
- [css-text-decor] Open Issues (from email@example.com on 2013-05-06)
- [CSSWG] Minutes Tucson F2F 2013-02-14 Tue AM I: Paged Media 4, Flexbox (from firstname.lastname@example.org on 2013-02-14)
- [CSSWG] Minutes and Resolutions Hamburg F2F 2012-05-11 Part V: Line Layout, Values and Units (from email@example.com on 2012-05-15)
- Re: Comments from PFWG on CSS3 Speech Module (from firstname.lastname@example.org on 2011-10-20)
- [CSSWG] Minutes and Resolutions 2011-10-19 (from email@example.com on 2011-10-19)
- Re: [css3-background] alternatives to background-origin (from firstname.lastname@example.org on 2008-05-21)
- [css3-background] alternatives to background-origin (was: Issues and Proposed Resolutions) (from email@example.com on 2008-05-20)
- Re: HSL and HSLA (from firstname.lastname@example.org on 2008-05-15)
- [css3-background] Issues and Proposed Resolutions (from email@example.com on 2008-05-13)
- Re: HSL and HSLA (from firstname.lastname@example.org on 2008-05-12)
- ISSUE-13 (background-clip): Remove 'background-clip' [CSS3 Backgrounds and Borders] (from email@example.com on 2008-04-04)
Closed no change.Elika Etemad, 11 Aug 2008, 10:06:19
Display change log