Re: Question from XHTML-L: Content in CSS?

At 10:45 PM 2000-12-24 -0800, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
>This question came up on the XHTML-L mailing list; I've quoted my
>reply below which contains some context and the body of my concern.
>
>Namely, that by eliminating the start/value attributes for ordered
>lists and choosing to rely upon CSS 2, the XHTML working group has
>made the mistake of embedding actual -content- (the "correct"
>number values for an item are content or meta-content) in CSS, which
>is a no-no.

AG::

>Is this something for the WCAG group (to add to our guidelines "don't
>do this even though by spec you can"), for P&F (as it represents an
>error in XHTML/HTML Strict), or even for the XHTML working group
>itself?  I'm not sure if I'm writing to the right place or not.

This is as good a place as any to raise the issue.  The preferred place to
deal
with it would, I think, be in PF, because we would like to use PF to head off
as many "the spec lets you do this, but don't" rules as possible before they
are needed.

[Aside, general note:  Don't worry too much about where you raise issues; just
do it.  Let the chairs worry scopes and charters - that's their job.  Might as
well give them something to do.]

However, what we are trying to accomplish in PF and GL are so intimately
intertwined that it is not easy to send it one place and feel it is being
dealt
with in the most constructive manner without at the outset setting a hook
for a
check-back from time to time.

Al

<http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/generate.html#counters>http://www.w3.org/TR/R