W3C

- DRAFT -

Social Interest Group Teleconference

04 Mar 2015

Agenda

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
elf-pavlik, Ann, +1.541.410.aaaa, dahacouk, Arnaud, Lloyd_Fassett, +1.978.238.aabb, lehawes, AdamB
Regrets
Chair
AnnB
Scribe
lehawes

Contents


<trackbot> Date: 04 March 2015

<elf-pavlik> AnnB, we can dial in in 3 min

<AnnB> thanks elf

<elf-pavlik> dahacouk, can you connect?

<AnnB> for the record, +1.541.410.aaaa is Lloyd Fassett (who's walking)

<elf-pavlik> agenda: https://www.w3.org/wiki/Socialig/2015-03-04

<AnnB> AdamB, you calling in?

<elf-pavlik> scribenick: lehawes

<dahacouk> +1 to meeting every week even though I've not been on every call recently

Ann asked if we are meeting every week or every other? She thought that we had decided to meet every week.

<elf-pavlik> lehawes++

<Loqi> lehawes has 1 karma

dahacouk would like to meet every week

elf-pavlik thought we were meeting every other week

Lloyd_Fassett is very busy and would like to meet every other week

elf-pavlik would like for the Vocabulary TF to meet next Wed. and Lloyd_Fassett agreed

<Arnaud> sounds good to me

Ann said she will dial-in for a call every week. Whoever else shows up. Some may attend every week; others bi-weekly

<Arnaud> (listen only for now)

Decision made to meet every week

<AnnB> but with understanding that some can't attend every week

<elf-pavlik> AnnB++

<Loqi> AnnB has 4 karma

Arnaud encouraged task forces to meet on regular basis also

Approval of Minutes of 18 and 25 February 2015 Telecons

<elf-pavlik> PROPOSED: Approval of Minutes of 18 and 25 February 2015 Telecons

<elf-pavlik> +1

<elf-pavlik> RESOLVED: Approval of Minutes of 18 and 25 February 2015 Telecons

Review of 2/18 and 2/25 meeting minutes. Both approved by lack of dissent.

Tracking of Actions and Issues

<elf-pavlik> also: pending review

<elf-pavlik> https://www.w3.org/Social/InterestGroup/track/actions/pendingreview

<elf-pavlik> action-2

<trackbot> action-2 -- Pavlik elf to Discuss Social Profile Use Cases and Requirements with Credentials CG -- due 2015-02-11 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/Social/InterestGroup/track/actions/2

Three open actions on Action Tracker. elf-pavlik presented them to group.

elf-pavlik said Action 2 is to discuss our work with Credential Community Group and create awareness of each others' work

Ann asked why IG was doing this, not WG

<AnnB> Liaison Task Force

elf-pavlick said that the Liaison TF is in the IG, that's why

<AnnB> Manu Sporny is chair of that group

<elf-pavlik> close action-2

<trackbot> Closed action-2.

<elf-pavlik> https://www.w3.org/Social/InterestGroup/track/actions/open

<elf-pavlik> actoion-1

<elf-pavlik> action-1

<trackbot> action-1 -- Pavlik elf to Gather api requirements (user stories) from diaspora and friendica developers -- due 2015-03-17 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/Social/InterestGroup/track/actions/1

elf-pavlik said that there was general discussion about overlap of the IG and the Credentials CG, but no major impact identified, so we can close this action

<AnnB> I think he's closing that action because he made the contact

elf-pavlik wants to check with WG next week to see which user stories they have decided to implement

<elf-pavlik> issue-2

<trackbot> issue-2 -- Overlap with Credentials CG on Profile Use Cases / Vocabulary / API / ACL -- raised

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/Social/InterestGroup/track/issues/2

<AnnB> but we still have work to do together ... recorded as issue 2

<elf-pavlik> atcion-1

<elf-pavlik> action-1

<trackbot> action-1 -- Pavlik elf to Gather api requirements (user stories) from diaspora and friendica developers -- due 2015-03-17 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/Social/InterestGroup/track/actions/1

elf-pavlik is leaving Action 1 open at this time

<AnnB> elf sees "actions" as relatively short-term; and "Issues" as longer-term things to be worked

<elf-pavlik> https://www.w3.org/wiki/Socialwg/Social_API/User_stories/Implementations

<elf-pavlik> action-4

<trackbot> action-4 -- Pavlik elf to Extract Vocabulary requirements from API User Stories -- due 2015-03-11 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/Social/InterestGroup/track/actions/4

Action 4 - Extract Vocabulary Requirements: elf-pavlik had discussions with xAPI WG by email. Has scheduled a call for next week to follow up. So this action remains open for now.

<trackbot> Error finding '4'. You can review and register nicknames at <http://www.w3.org/Social/InterestGroup/track/users>.

<elf-pavlik> action-5

<trackbot> action-5 -- Pavlik elf to xAPI Community - gather Use Cases and Requirements from their 2.0 work -- due 2015-03-17 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/Social/InterestGroup/track/actions/5

<elf-pavlik> action-4

<trackbot> action-4 -- Pavlik elf to Extract Vocabulary requirements from API User Stories -- due 2015-03-11 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/Social/InterestGroup/track/actions/4

<elf-pavlik> https://www.w3.org/wiki/Sicialig/Vocabulary_TF/Mapping_API_User_Stories_to_Vocabulary_terms

Last update by elf-pavlik applied to Action 5, not 4

<scribe> ACTION: 4 to elf-pavlik created asset classes and properties. Invited everyone to review and weigh in on these. Will discuss during Vocabulary TF call next week. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/03/04-socialig-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Error finding '4'. You can review and register nicknames at <http://www.w3.org/Social/InterestGroup/track/users>.

Mapping API User Stories to Vocabulary terms

AnnB moved to Vocabularies agenda item. She asked how do we map them from user stories to actual vocabularies ( or vice versa)?

Lloyd-Fassett said two types of vocabularies. Activity Streams 2.0 works well for "liking" things. Should be a core vocabulary that crosses all implementations.

Lloyd-Fassett not sure if the technical side of AS2 has been settled, esp. with regard to hooks to other vocabularies. Need compatible formats.

elf-pavlik said we should map user stories to AS2 using keywords only. Then we should propose existing and new vocabulary terms that will fit those keywords.

AdamB likes looking at work that has been done first, so it makes sense starting with user stories, not vocabularies

<AnnB> randomly selecting: https://www.w3.org/wiki/Socialwg/Social_API/User_stories#User_posts_a_note

<elf-pavlik> shares Note followers

AnnB turned to user story of writing and sharing a note to get clarity as to what is meant by keywords. elf-pavlik said her understanding was correct.

<AnnB> I read the first line in that user story: "Eric writes a short note to be shared with his followers. "

<AnnB> and extract key words "writes" "shares" "note" "follower"

AnnB: Thanks! I need all the help I can get. ;>)

<AnnB> elf suggests we organize the key words into "actions" "actors" ...

<elf-pavlik> Classes, ObjectProperties, DataProperties

<AnnB> THEN we would map our lists to existing vocabularies, eg Activity Streams, Microformats, schema.org, SIOC ..

elf-pavlik says we need to extract and organize keywords from user stories, then propose vocabulary terms

<AnnB> uh oh lost our scribe

<elf-pavlik> i can scribe

Darn Internet! :>)

<elf-pavlik> Amy will help as well :)

<AnnB> we hope

elf-pavlik's approach made sense to Lloyd-Fassett, who thinks that we will find most of what we need in Schema.org and that should be compatible with AS2

<elf-pavlik> we track it in http://www.w3.org/Social/track/issues/15

Lloyd-Fassett said that Google has agreed to issue a "snapshot" of the Schema vocabulary, but he doesn't know if they have done so.

AnnB said someone (Ralph?) from W3C is working with people on Schema side. Arnaud confirmed and said that we do not have a stable reference (snapshot) vocabulary from Schema yet. He said this is an open issue and that we will have to be patient.

<AnnB> Ralph Swick

<AnnB> W3C COO

AnnB asked if we should wait for snapshot or move ahead. Arnaud thought we should move ahead with our work.

AnnB is going to invite Boeing's vocabulary expert, Julie Martin, to join the meeting next week.

<elf-pavlik> https://www.w3.org/wiki/Socialig/Vocabulary_TF/Mapping_API_User_Stories_to_Vocabulary_terms

AnnB ask where (virtually) are we going to do the keyword ID and mapping work that elf-pavlik has proposed? Elf said that there are wiki pages set up to do this.

<AnnB> see link immediately above

elf-pavlik provided the link in the IRC stream

<elf-pavlik> https://www.w3.org/wiki/Socialig/Vocabulary_TF/Mapping_API_User_Stories_to_Vocabulary_terms

<elf-pavlik> thank you AnnB :)

AnnB asked about layout of page. Keywords with link to user story from which it was extracted? elf-pavlik confirmed, yes.

<elf-pavlik> Amy will help also

AnnB said we need everyone to ID additional keywords that are not now on the list. Read through user stories to do so.

<dahacouk> All: I'm afraid I have to leave now but I will be joining you next week. Cheers!

<AnnB> bye!

AnnB asked everyone to ID keywords this coming week and have that work done by next week's meeting. Then we can map to existing vocabularies in following week or two.

elf-pavlik said that James Snell has not done this mapping.

AnnB asked that we find any existing mappings and leverage those, rather than reinventing the wheel.

Social API User Stories

<elf-pavlik> https://www.w3.org/wiki/Socialwg/Social_API/User_stories

<AdamB> Arnaud might be good for that

<elf-pavlik> https://www.w3.org/wiki/Socialwg/Social_API/Sorting_user_stories

AnnB said we voted on c. ~90 user stories last week. what's next?

Arnaud said action item taken to sort into 3 main buckets. Non-commericial user stories, those with some objections, and those with nearly unanimous objections.

<AdamB> well done !

Arnaud said that work will be done to see if objections can be overcome so those user stories can be actively worked on.

<elf-pavlik> action-1

<trackbot> action-1 -- Pavlik elf to Gather api requirements (user stories) from diaspora and friendica developers -- due 2015-03-17 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/Social/InterestGroup/track/actions/1

AnnB said seems that user stories work has taken on life of its own, within WG.

<AnnB> trying to figure out if there's any way IG can contribute to user story work at this point

<elf-pavlik> https://www.w3.org/wiki/Socialwg/Social_API/User_stories/Implementations

elf-pavlik will follow up with various people to understand what user story implementation already exist and let us know.

Other business

<elf-pavlik> subtopic: Continue clarification of IG's role, how to add value

AnnB said she is still trying to clarify how IG can add value to what WG is doing. Vocabulary is one clear area.

Arnaud said he's not sure. Pointed out that IG does not exist solely to serve the WG; IG has a broader charter.

Arnaud said that any IG feedback on user stories is welcome, but didn't know how else IG could contribute to WG efforts.

AnnB pointed out that most of the user story work is happening within WG, not IG>

<AnnB> IG charter deliverables: Mandatory: Use-case and Requirements Report Possible: Social Architecture Report Possible: Social Vocabularies

<elf-pavlik> https://www.w3.org/wiki/Socialig/Use_Case_TF

AnnB reminded that IG's mandatory charter item is to deliver a Use-Case and Requirements Report. Questioned if this still had value. She did see value in working on Architecture and Vocabulary reports.

<AdamB> I think that for Use-Case and Requirements Report we can leverage some of the stuff in the previous groups and make updates as the industry has probably shifted some

Arnaud suggested that IG could look at what's left after WG has sorted the user stories, to see if there are ones that the IG could work on, even if they don't directly effect the work of the WG.

AdamB: I agree, but sense that most of the use cases are known and have been documented by W3C and other organizations. Wonder how much value IG can create here.

<elf-pavlik> ack

<Zakim> elf-pavlik, you wanted to discuss http://www.w3.org/TR/ldp-ucr/

AnnB reiterated that IG scope is larger than just supporting the WG.

<AdamB> lehawes: yeah true ... maybe it would / could end up being the 2nd Edition with noted updates etc

elf-pavlik suggested that IG could check WG's work to make sure that all keywords are mapped to user stories. This could be a published document.

<elf-pavlik> e.g. http://www.w3.org/TR/ldp-ucr/

Arnaud suggested creating a Note, not a formal Recommendation.

<elf-pavlik> AnnB++

<Loqi> AnnB has 5 karma

<AdamB> socialig++

<Loqi> socialig has 1 karma

AnnB encouraged everyone to help create agenda for next week's meeting, beyond the keyword identification.

<Arnaud> trackbot, end meeting

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: 4 to elf-pavlik created asset classes and properties. Invited everyone to review and weigh in on these. Will discuss during Vocabulary TF call next week. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/03/04-socialig-minutes.html#action01]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.140 (CVS log)
$Date: 2015-03-04 17:59:34 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.140  of Date: 2014-11-06 18:16:30  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/190/~90/
Succeeded: s/Report/Recommendation/
Found ScribeNick: lehawes
Inferring Scribes: lehawes
Default Present: elf-pavlik, Ann, +1.541.410.aaaa, dahacouk, Arnaud, Lloyd_Fassett, +1.978.238.aabb, lehawes, AdamB
Present: elf-pavlik Ann +1.541.410.aaaa dahacouk Arnaud Lloyd_Fassett +1.978.238.aabb lehawes AdamB
Agenda: https://www.w3.org/wiki/Socialig/2015-03-04
Found Date: 04 Mar 2015
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2015/03/04-socialig-minutes.html
People with action items: 4

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.


[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]