W3C

Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

05 Jun 2014

Agenda

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Addison, Richard, leandro, Mati, David_(via_IRC)
Regrets
Felix
Chair
Addison Phillips
Scribe
Addison Phillips

Contents


Agenda

Action Items

http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

action-251?

<trackbot> action-251 -- Addison Phillips to Contact the epub folks and see if they will write to html asking about ruby -- due 2013-09-05 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/251

action-252?

<trackbot> action-252 -- Felix Sasaki to Ping dita folks about contacting html5 about ruby progress -- due 2013-09-05 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/252

close action-302

<trackbot> Closed action-302.

richard: need to announce these

close action-307

<trackbot> Closed action-307.

<scribe> ACTION: addison: talk to susan about tpac arrangements [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/06/05-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-311 - Talk to susan about tpac arrangements [on Addison Phillips - due 2014-06-12].

close action-309

<trackbot> Closed action-309.

close action-310

<trackbot> Closed action-310.

Info Share

<scribe> chair: welcoming Leandro from Adobe

leandro: been on globalization team of Adobe since 1996
... involved with I18N of our products
... have an internal website about internationalization
... the "globalization report card"
... currently the globalization architect for digital marketing product
... working on bidi in one of our products
... thanks for having me here

richard: published last call for Encoding
... just been working on tests for @dir
... in HTML to check that it does isolation
... talked to Aharon
... he won't have time to develop tests
... looked at encoding tests

JcK: precis document
... which seems to encourage every protocol to have its own character rules
... being hotly debated

<r12a> http://rishida.net/blog/?p=1083

richard: universal access discussion in oman
... the above link is the blog post trip report about it

RADAR

https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar

SCXML

State Chart XML (SCXML): State Machine Notation for Control Abstraction

Review of CSS-Variables and Tracking-DNT

http://www.w3.org/International/track/products/56

issue-346?

<trackbot> issue-346 -- Section 5.2 use of %31 and %30 for characters 1 and 0 -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/346

issue-347?

<trackbot> issue-347 -- Section 5.2: DNT-extension excludes should spell out control, space, double quote. -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/347

issue-348?

<trackbot> issue-348 -- Non-ASCII not permitted in extensions -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/348

issue-349?

<trackbot> issue-349 -- Section title for 6.2.7 doesn't match earlier description -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/349

issue-350?

<trackbot> issue-350 -- IRI/non-ASCII not permitted in -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/350

Section 6.3.2: The grammar doesn't allow %, so the path to the DNT value cannot include non-ASCII characters that are percent encoded (neither can it be an IRI). A tracking resource might be named for some actual resource that uses non-ASCII characters in its name. Not permitting non-ASCII directly or via URI percent escapes limits what can be represented.

richard: add document links too, please

issue-351?

<trackbot> issue-351 -- Section 6.4.2: restriction to "URI-safe characters" -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/351

Section 6.4.2: Use of "URI-safe characters" (non-ASCII support). Since a site may wish to associate the tracking status with specific resources and since these resources might be named using non-ASCII characters, this appears to limit usage in a non-helpful way?

http://www.w3.org/TR/tracking-dnt/

http://www.w3.org/TR/tracking-dnt/#request-specific-status-resource

<matial> +1

addison: any objections to making these WG comments?

jck: no objection

<David> no objection

jck: be a little cautious about adopting non-ASCII everywhere

http://www.w3.org/International/track/products/57

issue-352?

<trackbot> issue-352 -- normalization of custom property names -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/352

Section 2 says in part: <quote> Unlike other CSS properties, custom property names are case-sensitive. EXAMPLE. While both --foo and --FOO are valid, they are distinct properties - using var(--foo) will refer to the first one, while using var(--FOO) will refer to the second. </quote> Case sensitivity is not the only variation that can apply to text. While citing the case sensitivity is useful, should mention be made of other variations, such as Unicode[CUT]

addison: anne had a good comment on this, but suggest a health warning

issue-353?

<trackbot> issue-353 -- Section 2.1 case sensitivity and normalization -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/353

addison: any objection to making these WG comments?

<matial> +1

http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/WD-css-variables-1-20140506/#defining-variables

Encoding

addison: we did publish and announce to chairs@

richard: if anyone feels like wrigting some tests
... this is your big chance
... looked at some tests we have already
... focus on recognizing encoding correctly
... and the characters in each encoding
... need to tests the api parts
... some tests not completely accurate
... think about format of tests
... single byte all in a single test
... some pass, some fail
... need to separate
... put into standard format for html test suite
... and generate results too!
... need to talk to people about this
... robin berjon would be happy to help us start
... he'll be back in a week or so
... in the meantime... please to read and comment
... need to respond to all comments, including dispostion

http://www.w3.org/International/track/products/25

<scribe> ACTION: richard: talk to Dom about adding status tracking stuff to tracker for encoding last call purposes [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/06/05-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-312 - Talk to dom about adding status tracking stuff to tracker for encoding last call purposes [on Richard Ishida - due 2014-06-12].

http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/WD-encoding-20140603/

http://www.w3.org/TR/encoding/

Review Rules

richard: process for raising issues in reviews
... was more complicated than it needed to be
... so addison and I simplified some things

<r12a> http://www.w3.org/International/track/

richard: and we simplied the product lists

<r12a> http://www.w3.org/International/track/products

richard: if you look at this, you can see we've gotten rid of .prep, .adhoc, etc.
... moved any issues into named products
... makes it easier to find anything
... rewrote process
... at the link to follow

<r12a> http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/review-instructions

richard: much shorter and simpler
... so now we need people to go review some documents and try it out
... we have tended previously
... the initial posts went to public-i18n-core list
... but please look out for those emails
... and raise objections
... and commenters should send addison an agenda+
... give some time so people have time to read them
... and we'll discuss in the teleconference

CharMod

http://www.w3.org/International/docs/charmod-norm/

addison: would like to go "first public working draft"

richard: pubrules, link checker, etc.

AOB?

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: addison: talk to susan about tpac arrangements [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/06/05-i18n-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: richard: talk to Dom about adding status tracking stuff to tracker for encoding last call purposes [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/06/05-i18n-minutes.html#action02]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2014-06-05 15:51:12 $