Education and Outreach Working Group Teleconference

31 Jan 2014

See also: IRC log


Sharron, Shawn, Jan, PaulSchantz, AnnaBelle, Andrew, Anthony
Vicki, Suzette_(Howard_and_Andrew_maybe), Wayne, Helle


<trackbot> Date: 31 January 2014

<scribe> Scribe: Sharron

wiki update

Shawn: Did anyone notice that W3C systems changed the wiki. In my case, my preferences changed. It dropped me from the watch list. If you have pages on watch, you might want to look at that. Any questions about how that works?
... I would encourage everyone to put pages that interest you on the watch list.
... also, the visual design was a bit different.

<yatil> Blockquote CSS is missing which is very unfortunateā€¦

AnnaBelle: I noticed the change and mostly since it was unexpected, I was a bit disoriented. But now I am thinking it may actually be a bit easier to read.

Shawn: We may tweek the CSS

Paul: The text editor changed

Shawn: Yes, I am going to look at how to make it work a bit better for us.
... let me know if anyone wants to help with that

EasyChecks Illustrations

<shawn> https://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/Easy_Checks_-_Illustrations

<shawn> Illustration inventory https://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/Easy_Checks_-_Illustrations#Illustration_inventory

AnnaBelle: A few things have happened in the last week. I went through all the illustrations, the text holders, and the places where we needed placeholders
... I out all of those into the wiki. Then we had a call on Wed trying to figure out what to do next and who will do them.
... Shawn will do the code, Andrew will do the captions, I will do the images other than the IE WAT images, which Vicki will do.

<AnnaBelle> https://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/Easy_Checks_-_Illustrations#Strategy

AnnaBelle: we did another change to the strategies
... We decided to use null alt text since all of the images are explained in the text and some will have captions if needed. Denis noted that change and agreed with it.

Sharron: Only want to add that AB is awesomefor leading on this

Shawn: I am glad that Vicki has responded so well. She may be able to do more.

AnnaBelle: She is very responsive to feedback and we are working well together. Next check in with more will be MOnday or Tuesday of next week. I think they are in good shape. There is a bit of work, but it seems do-able

Sharron: Does tha mean that we should go ahead and plan for the usability testing at CSUN?

Shawn: Yes we have a place to do that in the wiki

<shawn> Put thoughts on UT at https://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/Easy_Checks#Usability_Testing

Shawn: And we have a couple of comments and suggested wording tweek from Eric. Andrew, you have a related action, can you get to that?
... Paul, I see you added the Mac stuff here. Let's talk about that next week.

Paul: Yes, I was disappointed that there is so much to do

Shawn: Since we just got this and haven't had time to review, we will discuss next week.

CSUN attendence

Jan: Sunday OK, and Tuesday afternoon

Anthony: Monday, Tuesday for sure. Am trying for Sunda but not sure yet

Shawn: We are all very excited to meet you

Paul: I can't be there on Sunday either, but Monday and Tuesday are OK

Shawn: Shadi, Eric and I have discussed and will post a draft agenda soon for EOWG discussion

WCAG-EM Review

<shawn> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-eo/2014JanMar/0022.html

Shawn: WCAG-EM WG have done some changes, we did another round of comments and they ahve changed again. As of now, they are thinking this is the final draft. After the next round of comments, they will publish as a WG Note
... so this may be our last chance to comment
... we do not expect many changes to this. Anthony I thought this is something that you would be good at with your background. Can you review and comment on this?

Anthony: Yes, I would do that

<shawn> comments to go in https://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/WCAG-EM_review

Shawn: Can you do this be Feb 12?

Anthony: Yes that is good, I can do that.

Shawn: Please add to your list of to do items in the wiki

Sharron: I am going to look at it again.

Shawn: ..Helle and Sylvie would be good

<shawn> WCAG-EM Overview: http://www.w3.org/WAI/eval/conformance

Sharron: Are they communicating well enough the fact that it is a methodology, not a how-to. On first reading you often wish for more detail.

Shawn: Will update wiki page and put a place for that

<Andrew> Skype just died - I'll try and call back in asap

Shawn: Let's have a goal for all comments by Feb 12 so we have time to review and submit as EO

Other doc review

Shawn: The WCAG Techniques and Understanding documents...Wayne and Sylvie volunteered, I will look at that too.
... next was Media Requirements, Andrew and Paul?

Paul: Will do today

UAAG Review:

<Andrew> I'll take a fresh look at that

<shawn> https://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/UAAG_review

Shawn: Thanks to Sylvie for her comments and Sharron and Andrew for their response.
... Did anyone else want to comment before we send those in?
... if not, I will submit today.
... That's all on today's agenda, let's chack in with a work plan for next week. There are several documents to review, Paul and Andrew will be doing that. AnnaBelle and Vicki will be working on the illustrations. Next week or the week after we will ahve the tutorials schedule...so I propose that we close early today so people can use this time so the group participants can catch up on actions

and get the slate cleared for next month when we have lots to do with review tutorials

scribe: Eric has been working on the visual design for the overall tutorials. We want also to get the Images Tutorial out (several other groups want that as well)
... anything else for today?

AnnaBelle: Just thanks to all who are helping with the illustrations

Shawn: It's great to have your leadership on this AB!
... we will be looking at what is the next focus for the group as we wrap up EasyChecks. WAI-ACT Project includes an implementation plan, Vicki had started some work on that

Sharron: Timing will be good to look at various projects at CSUN

Shawn: Yes, when we talk as a group about the agenda, it would be useful to know who will be there at what times. Does anyone have concerns about putting who will be there on which day on the agenda?
... generally F2F meetings are open to active participants, we can also use the time as an outreach effort as well. So think about whether we want to encourage participation from new members.
... so please use the time today to work on action items, thanks all.

trackbot, end meeting

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2014-01-31 14:07:08 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.138  of Date: 2013-04-25 13:59:11  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/palce /place/
Succeeded: s/awesoem /awesome/
Succeeded: s/post a draft agenda soon/post a draft agenda soon for EOWG discussion/
Succeeded: s/and I will ask Helle and Sylvie/Helle and Sylvie would be good/
Found Scribe: Sharron
Inferring ScribeNick: Sharron
Default Present: Sharron, Shawn, Jan, PaulSchantz, AnnaBelle, Andrew, Anthony
Present: Sharron Shawn Jan PaulSchantz AnnaBelle Andrew Anthony
Regrets: Vicki Suzette_(Howard_and_Andrew_maybe) Wayne Helle
Found Date: 31 Jan 2014
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2014/01/31-eo-minutes.html
People with action items: 

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]