TPAC/2021/SessionIdeas

From W3C Wiki
< TPAC‎ | 2021
Jump to: navigation, search

You are invited to propose TPAC 2021 TPAC Breakout week (October 18-22) sessions in advance of the meeting, and before October 8 EOB if you want to benefit from optimal scheduling. See the TPAC 2021 FAQ for more information. Please contact dom@w3.org for any question regarding the organization of TPAC breakouts.

Contents

How to use this page

Please use this page to:

  • Propose sessions you wish to lead
  • Please place new proposals at the bottom of this document

Any TPAC participant (participant in a Working Group, Interest Group, Business Group, or participant in a Community Group meeting at TPAC) may propose a session. We encourage you to bring new presenters to the community, particularly to help us improve the inclusiveness and diversity of W3C, listing yourself as the proposer. Please limit yourself to one or at most two proposals per proposer.

The W3C planning team will review all proposed breakouts and may suggest refining, combining, or deferring some proposals.

Scheduling breakouts for broad community participation

Breakouts are scheduled the week of October 18-22. The exact time and date of each breakout will be determined by the staff to reduce overlap of sessions with similar expected participants. We expect that scheduling to happen on October 8 - proposals submitted after October 8 will have much less flexibility in how they get scheduled.

With the W3C community spread across the globe, we are suggesting two approaches to breakout facilitators:

  • run their sessions twice to make it possible for people from as many timezones as possible to attend sessions they care about. We suggest picking 2 among the following of times:
    • 12am UTC: 5pm US PT / 8pm US ET / 8am Beijing / 9am Tokyo / 11am Sydney
    • 7am UTC: 8am UK / 9am CET / 11am Dubai / 3pm Beijing / 4pm Tokyo / 6pm Sydney
    • 3pm UTC: 8am US PT / 11am US ET / 4pm UK / 5pm CET / 7pm Dubai
  • run it a single time at 2pm UTC (7am US PT / 10am US ET / 3pm UK / 4pm CET / 6pm Dubai / 10pm Beijing / 11pm Tokyo / 1am Sydney). Single instance TPAC breakout sessions proposed outside of the 2pm UTC slot are subject to validation.

How to propose a session

Please provide:

    • session name (as a === subhead === )
    • session facilitators and speakers
    • one sentence session summary
    • type of session: (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, tutorial, demo, etc.)
    • goals of session - what outcomes can session participants expect?
    • additional speakers/panelists (to help reduce conflicts when one person is needed in more than one place)
    • is this breakout only for TPAC participants or should it be open to anyone?
    • a shortname that can be used to associate an IRC channel to your breakout
    • time preference: (2 slots among the ones listed above, 1 slot 2pm UTC, or request an exception)
    • days: if your breakout can only be scheduled on a subset of the 5 days of the week, please also indicate it

Breakout facilitator training

To help make the experience of TPAC breakouts as inclusive and welcoming as possible, W3C is offering a program to support facilitators in preparing and running their sessions.

We will be running two training sessions the week of October 4th

  • a 90 minutes workshop on Inclusive Facilitation Training, run by Kay Martinez, scheduled on October 5, 2021 at 2pm UTC
  • a workshop on conflict management, run by Jory Burson (exact time and date to be confirmed)

These training sessions are open to anyone planning to run a breakout session, and more generally to anyone wanting to build their skills in W3C meeting facilitation, with the first workshop limited to 30 participants - please indicate your interest in attending it with dom@w3.org.

In addition to these training sessions open to anyone, we are inviting breakout facilitators to volunteer for a more in-depth program, which will add the opportunity to get paired with a buddy and participate in a debriefing session after TPAC to keep better track of what did and did not work as well in terms of applying the training in practice. For scalability reasons, we only expect to accept about 10 people in this program, and ask that the said volunteers commit to participate to all of the sessions scheduled as part of this training program - please get in touch with dom@w3.org if you are interested.

Proposed sessions

EXAMPLE session with session name

  • Proposer: ~~~~ (Instruction: remove <nowiki> and </nowiki> around the tildes (~). Explanation: The 4 tildes will sign YOUR name and include a timestamp of your proposal.)
  • Email address of proposer:
  • Summary (one-sentence or so):
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.):
  • Goals:
  • shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout)
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists:
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public?
  • [optional] Timeslot: two slots among 12am UTC, 7am UTC, 3pm UTC, one slot at 2pm UTC, or exception request
  • [optional] constraints on days in which the breakout can run: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday

State of CSS 2021

  • Proposer: Philip Jägenstedt (talk) 14:57, 7 September 2021 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: foolip@google.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): State of CSS 2021: an early look at the results
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): discussion
  • Goals: State of CSS 2021 is running the whole month of October. We will look for insights from some of the ~44000 responses so far, identifying pain points and areas to possible areas to prioritize. (Note that only a few of the free-form questions will be analyzed, and no statistics, to avoid the risk of influencing the ongoing survey.)
  • shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout): stateofcss
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists:
  • Open to the public
  • [optional] Timeslot: one slot at 7am UTC, 2pm UTC, or 3pm UTC any day except Wednesday

The state of browser storage partitioning

  • Proposer: Michael Taylor (talk) 20:27, 7 September 2021 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: miketaylr@google.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): What is the current state of storage partitioning efforts in browsers today?
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): discussion
  • Goals: Understand the progress of partitioning efforts and discover opportunities to align approaches.
  • shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout): partitioning
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists: Any browser reps or contributors are welcome to join the discussion
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public? Open to public
  • [optional] Timeslot: one slot at 3pm UTC
  • [optional] Preferably Thursday or Friday

Project Fugu 🐡: Almost Three Years In…

  • Proposer: Thomas Steiner (talk) 12:09, 8 September 2021 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: tomac@google.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): It's been almost three years that the Project Fugu effort was started. This is a good occasion to look back at what we have achieved and where we fell short of our objectives, but then also to look forward to what's still ahead of us.
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): Open discussion.
  • Goals: Reflect back and look forward.
  • shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout): project-fugu
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists: Edit this Wiki and add you!
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public? Open to the public.
  • [optional] Timeslot: One slot at 3pm UTC.
  • [optional] constraints on days in which the breakout can run: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday.

Voice Agent Interoperability

  • Proposer: Deborah Dahl Deborah Dahl (talk) 21:16, 8 September 2021 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: dahl@conversational-technologies.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): We now have silos of thousands of voice agents that only work with one platform. Enterprises have to develop multiple versions of their customer service applications and users may need multiple platforms to access all the voice agents they want to use. It would be much better if voice agents could interoperate with each other, perhaps using some standards analogous to HTML. In addition, discovery of voice agents with specific capabilities is currently haphazard and difficult. How can discovery be made easier? Is there an analogy to search engines and domain names? With these capabilities, the voice agent world would be much more like the web. This session will discuss issues related to interoperability of voice agents.
  • Type of session: open discussion
  • Goals: Raise issues of voice agent interoperability, including potential standards and barriers.
  • shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout):voiceagents
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists:
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public?: open to the public
  • [optional] Timeslot: two slots among 12am UTC, 3pm UTC or one slot at 2pm UTC
  • [optional] constraints on days in which the breakout can run: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday

Federated Credential Management

  • Proposer: Christian Biesinger (talk) 17:48, 9 September 2021 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: cbiesinger@google.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): Discuss the state of the Federated Credential Management spec
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): open discussion
  • Goals: Discuss the current state of ongoing Federated Credential Management initiatives, which will help to have more privacy-preserving federated sign-in experiences.
  • shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout): fcm
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists: Kaan Icer
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public? open
  • [optional] Timeslot: one slot at 2pm UTC
  • [optional] constraints on days in which the breakout can run: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday

Framework for the Accessible Specification of Technologies

  • Proposer: Joshue O'Connor (talk) 12:14, 13 September 2021 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: joconnor@w3.org
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): Overview of progress to date and work on FAST user needs and gap analysis methodology.
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): Presentationa and open discussion.
  • Goals: Presentation and discussion of FAST work, how it relates to horizontal accessibility spec review as well as the development of our methodology for technique gap analysis in Silver.
  • shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout): fast
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists: Michael Cooper, Jake Abma, Jeanne Spellman.
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public?: TPAC participants
  • [optional] Timeslot: one slot at 2pm UTC
  • [optional] constraints on days in which the breakout can run: Monday, Tuesday, Weds, Thurs


Auto Accessibility breakout

  • Proposer: Ted Guild (talk) 12:14, 13 September 2021 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: tedguild@geotab.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): Determine scope of work for Accessibility in W3C Automotive either for technical specifications or in best practices document.
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): talk
  • Goals: The W3C Automotive activity is producing standards around telematics data and services for connected vehicles. While not directly defining user interfaces, there are opportunities to influence this industry at a formative stage for better accessibility inclusion in its technical architecture. Together with WAI Accessibility Platform Architecture (APA) Research Questions Task Force, we want to explain current work, as well as explore and prioritize potential work.
  • shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout): autoa11y
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists:
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public?: tpac
  • [optional] Timeslot: one slot at 2pm UTC
  • [optional] constraints on days in which the breakout can run: Monday, Tuesday, Weds, Thurs

COGA Content Usable: user needs to specifications

  • Proposer: Rain Breaw Michaels (talk) 13:37, 13 September 2021 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: rainb@google.com
  • Summary: Content Usable gives advice on how to make content and interfaces usable for people with cognitive and learning disabilities. This breakout session will look at how this advice can translate into specifications.
  • Type of session: Panel followed by discussion
  • Goals: Enable working groups and task forces across W3C to make sure that the user needs of individuals with cognitive differences and disabilities (examples: autism, dementia, learning disabilities, and much more) are included in your user needs for your specifications so that you include the widest possible potential.
  • shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout): cogapanel
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists: Lisa Seeman, David Fazio, John Kirkwood, Rain Michaels
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public? tpac
  • [optional] Timeslot: one slot, preferred 2pm or 3pm UTC, 12am UTC will work, as well
  • [optional] constraints on days in which the breakout can run: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday

How to work with COGA

  • Proposer: Rain Breaw Michaels (talk) 22:04, 13 September 2021 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: rainb@google.com
  • Summary: Cover the types of cognitive and learning disabilities and differences that members of COGA (the Cognitive Accessibility Task Force) (and truthfully other members of W3C groups) may have, and how our collaboration processes across the W3C can better include the valuable perspectives of these individuals.
  • Type of session: Guided open discussion
  • Goals: Enable the various groups across the W3C to engage effectively with the COGA Task Force. Identify the tooling, communication styles, and processes that can support more inclusive and successful collaboration.
  • shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout): cogainclusion
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists: Jennie Delisi
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public? tpac
  • [optional] Timeslot: two slot, prefer 3pm UTC, but 12am UTC will work, as well
  • [optional] constraints on days in which the breakout can run: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday

Service Worker CSRF Discussion

  • Withdrawn due to scheduling conflicts this week.

Introduction to Synchronization Accessibility User Requirements (SAUR)

  • Proposer: Becky Gibson (talk) 12:40, 15 September 2021 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: gibson.becky@gmail.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): Introduce Synchronization Accessibility User Requirements (SAUR) and implications on media related W3C specifications.
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): Panel and Q&A
  • Goals: Understand the issues surrounding synchronization in online media.
  • shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout): SAUR
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists: Janina Sajka, Steve Noble, Jason White, Joshue O'Connor, Scott Hollier
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public? Open to public
  • [optional] Timeslot: We have already confirmed availability of panelists and interested parties across the -8 to +8 UTC time zones for Wednesday, Oct 20 at 14:00 UTC so respectfully request that time slot if possible
  • [optional] Preferable the above already confirmed time slot to reach the wide range of time zones for the participants.

Accessibility & CSS

  • Proposer: Becky Gibson (talk) 13:00, 15 September 2021 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: gibson.becky@gmail.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): Discussion of CSS and potential advances and implications for accessibility
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): open discussion
  • Goals: Discuss and review upcoming CSS features for where they may help and possibly hinder accessibility.
  • shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout): CSSA11y
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists:
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public? open to the public
  • [optional] Timeslot: We have already confirmed availability of CSS and APA working group participants on Wednesday, Oct 20 at 16:00 UTS so respectfully request that time slot if possible
  • [optional] constraints on days in which the breakout can run: Cannot run on Wed. Oct 20 at 14:00 UTC (if SAUR gets scheduled at that time) or against COGA breakouts

Anti-Fraud for the Web

  • Proposer: Steven Valdez (talk) 21:00, 15 September 2021 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: svaldez@google.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): Discussion of current use of cross-site identification (third-party cookies, browser/device fingerprinting, etc) in various types of anti-fraud solutions on the web.
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): Short talks followed with guided open discussion
  • Goals: Discuss the use cases and requirements, along with potential next steps for work in the space.
  • shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout): antifraud
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists:
  • [optional] Timeslot: one slot at 4pm UTC
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public? open to the public
  • Agenda (more items/materials speakers welcome)

From MathML to AT

  • Proposer: Neil Soiffer (talk) 19:54, 17 September 2021 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: neil.soiffer@gmail.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): The MathML WG is collecting ideas to allow authors to clarify the meaning of mathematical expressions so that the content can be clearly conveyed to assistive technology. The WG is interested in outside ideas such as how ARIA, CSS, and/or microddata could be used for this purpose. The WG is also soliciting feedback on potential ideas the WG has discussed. This is about making math accessible within the web platform; no mathematical expertise is required. Background material can be found here.
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): Open discussion
  • Goals: To solicit ideas from various stakeholders and WGs as to what they feel is appropriate
  • shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout) a11y-math
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists:
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public? open to the public
  • [optional] Timeslot: 3pm UTC or 4pm UTC
  • [optional] any day (avoid conflicts with sessions that have a11y relevance)

The State of Web Monetization

  • Proposer: Uchi Uchibeke (talk) 11:15, 22 September 2021 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: uchi@coil.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): Introduction to Web Monetization and ongoing changes to the Web Monetization spec to make it easier for wider adoption
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): Open Discussion
  • Goals: To get feedback from stakeholders and discuss the potential path for supporting Web Monetization natively
  • shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout)
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists:
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public? open to the public
  • [optional] Timeslot: 2pm UTC or 3pm UTC
  • [optional] constraints on days in which the breakout can run: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday


Accessibility of Remote Meetings

  • Proposer:Scott Hollier (talk) 13:51, 22 September 2021 (UTC) Scott Hollier
  • Email address of proposer: scott@hollier.info
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): Discussion of the Accessibility of Remote meetings draft work being developed in the APA RQTF
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): Open Discussion
  • Goals: Discuss what's needed to ensure that remote meetings are accessible to people with disabilities, especially during this time when we have all become so reliant on remote communications. Also, discuss the applicability to other W3C work.
  • shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout): remotemeet
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists: Judy Brewer
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public? open to the public
  • [optional] Timeslot: 1pm UTC or 2pm UTC on any day. Times are based on presenter being based in +8 UTC time zone.

Converting Tools for MiniApp

  • Proposer: Zitao Wang 9:00, 27 September 2021 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: wangzitao@huawei.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): Tools for converting standard MiniApp to vendor-specific implementations.
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): discussion
  • Goals: Demonstrate potential solutions for converting standards to vendor implementations. Discuss the tool design and improvement solution.
  • shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout): MiniAppTools
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists:Open to the public
  • [optional] Timeslot: 7am UTC
  • [optional] constraints on days in which the breakout can run: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday

focusgroup, toggle, and tabs

  • Proposer: Travis Leithead, travil@microsoft.com
  • Summary: HTML focusgroup, CSS Toggle and tabs.
  • Type: talk & slides; discussion
  • Goal: provide an overview and discuss opportunities for alignment among these proposals
  • Access: open to everyone
  • Shortname: #focusgroup
  • Time: 12am UTC, 3pm UTC (1 hour)
  • days: Any day except Wed, 20th

Privacy-Preserving Advertising Measurement

  • Proposer: John Wilander (talk) 20:33, 28 September 2021 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: wilander@apple.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): A discussion on where we are with the various ad tech proposals in Privacy CG, WICG, and IWABG.
  • Type of session: Summary talks from browser vendors first, then open discussion
  • Goals: Look for alignment, get reports on trials or early shipping features, get feedback on direction from others than browser vendors.
  • PrivateAdMeasurement (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout)
  • Additional speakers/panelists: I would like to invite the various spec editors actively working on related proposals in Privacy CG, WICG, and IWABG.
  • Limited to TPAC participants or open to the public? I'm leaning TPAC participants but will want to hear what others say.
  • Timeslot: two slots among 12am UTC, 7am UTC, 3pm UTC

Cross-Device Security (caBLE)

  • Proposer: Kristina Yasda (talk) 21:06, 29 September 2021 (UTC)Kristina Yasuda
  • Email address of proposer: kristina.yasuda@microsoft.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): Discuss methods to make cross-device flows more secure, such as user sharing data from the mobile device to the browser, with particular interest in leveraging caBLE
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): discussion
  • Goals: Agree on the problem statement, share available mitigations, agree on the next steps (if any) to make these mitigations more usable/standard
  • shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout): #crossdevicesec
  • Additional speakers/panelists: Tim Cappalli, tim.cappalli@microsoft.com
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public? open to everyone
  • Timeslot: one slot among 12am UTC, 3pm UTC, 2pm UTC
  • constraints on days in which the breakout can run: any day

WCAG Maturity Model

  • Proposers: Sheri Byrne-Haber, David Fazio

Email address of proposers: sbyrnehaber@vmware.com dfazio@helixopp.com

  • session facilitators and speakers: Jeanne Spellman, Sheri Byrne-Haber, David Fazio
  • one sentence session summary: Overview of progress to date and work on WCAG Maturity Model: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Y5EO6zkOMrbyePw5-Crq8ojmhn9OCTRQ6TlgB0cE6YE
  • type of session: open discussion
  • goals of session - Present and discuss the WCAG Maturity Model work, and how it drives sustainable, continuously improving, WCAG compliance
  • additional speakers/panelists: Jake Abma
  • Open to anyone
  • IRC shortname #silver-maturity
  • time preference: 2 PM UTC
  • days: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Friday

Navigating W3C Process Tracks: Living Specifications, Registries, Notes and Statements

  • Proposer: Philippe Le Hégaret (talk) 12:36, 1 October 2021 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: plh@w3.org
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): W3C will approve a new Process in November, which now includes 3 tracks: Recommendation, Registry, Note. This session will present them and help Groups to navigate them.
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): talk
  • Goals: Understand the W3C Tracks
  • shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout): process
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists:
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public? public
  • Timeslot: one slot at 2pm UTC

Making WebViews work for the Web

  • Proposer: Dominique Hazaël-Massieux (talk) 14:06, 1 October 2021 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: dom@w3.org
  • Summary: A significant share of Web pages get rendered via WebView components rather than through fullblown browser engines; WebViews come with limitations that are not always well understood by developers, nor standards makers. This session offers to discuss what if anything W3C should do to help
  • Type of session: talk followed by open discussion
  • Goals: Identify what role W3C should play in making WebViews work better for the Web
  • shortname: webviews
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists: TBC
  • open to the public
  • Timeslot: 7am UTC, 3pm UTC or one slot at 2pm UTC

Use of Machine Learning to validate WCAG Success Criteria

  • Proposer: Sheri Byrne-Haber
  • Email address of proposer sbyrnehaber@vmware.com
  • session facilitators and speakers: Sheri Byrne-Haber
  • one sentence session summary: Which W3C success criteria can be validated using machine learning
  • type of session: presentation and open discussion
  • goals of session - Brief introduction to machine learning techniques, review of five success criteria that have been sucessfully automated, proposal for 16 more success criteria, and discussion and review of others that can potentially be automated.
  • additional speakers/panelists (to help reduce conflicts when one person is needed in more than one place)
  • open to public
  • a shortname that can be used to associate an IRC channel to your breakout: ml
  • time preference: 2pm UTC
  • days: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Friday (not he same date as the maturity modeling session, if selected)

Personalizing the Web for Better Accessibility

  • Proposer: Lionel Wolberger (talk) 15:25, 4 October 2021 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: lionel@userway.org
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): Personalization Module 1.0 brings accessibility markup beyond screen readers, and enables many users to access services who are currently blocked.
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): talk and open discussion
  • Goals: Participants will be motivated to implement Personalization Module 1 specification to enable many more people to access web content
  • shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout): personalization
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public? Open to the public
  • Timeslot: Prefer 1400 - 1500 UTC start time (1300 possible if necessary)
  • constraints on days in which the breakout can run: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday


Intelligent Collaboration features for WebRTC (NV)

  • Proposer: Rijubrata Bhaumik (talk) 7:40, 6 October 2021 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: rijubrata.bhaumik@intel.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): As WebRTC gains more prominence in a remote friendly world, we need to delight users by enabling intelligent collaboration features for the Web like Face Detection, UserFraming, Eye-contact correction, Background Blur, Noise Suppression, SpeechToText and many more.
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): talk and open discussion
  • Goals: Heads up on the new API extensions and gather feedback.
  • shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout): webrtc-ic
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists: Harald Alvestrand, Chris Needham
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public? Open to the public
  • Timeslot: Prefer 1400 - 1500 UTC start time
  • constraints on days in which the breakout can run: Wednesday

Web Components Community Group: Community driven spec/API prioritization

  • Proposer: Westbrook Johnson (talk) 18:51, 6 October 2021 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: wesjohns@adobe.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): The Web Components Community Group will highlight spec and API priorities needed to deliver web components in production.
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): talk and open discussion
  • Goals: Share specific web component use-cases that are limited or impossible under the current spec, or under current implementations of the spec. Discuss web component community priorities with browser implementors.
  • shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout): webcomponents-cg
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists: Will Riley, Owen Buckley, Justin Fagnani
  • [optional] Timeslot: 12am UTC and 3pm UTC
  • [optional] constraints on days in which the breakout can run: Not available on the 20th for either time slot.
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public? Open to the public

What is the value of and are the values of W3C

  • Proposer: Tantek Çelik (talk) 21:53, 6 October 2021 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: tantek(at)cs.stanford.edu
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): This is a follow-up from last year's TPAC/2020/focus-values session(minutes,event), which itself was a follow-up from the TPAC 2019 What is the Future of W3C session(wiki, minutes). W3C is currently both a community formed around shared values and formal structure of a consortium of four entities, each of which has a representative on the governing Steering Committee (SC) along with a CEO and the Director, with authority delegated to a team employed by those four entities. What happens when community shared values are in conflict with the power structures at W3C? What value do different members get out of W3C?
  • Type of session: open discussion (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.):
  • Goals: open and frank discussion about similarities and differences in values & goals across the broader community, and how do those align with or conflict with or are upheld by the power structures in place.
  • shortname: what-values
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists:
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public? Public
  • [optional] Timeslot: prefer 12am UTC (17:00 PDT); can live with: 3pm UTC (08:00 PDT); not: 7am UTC, 2pm UTC.
  • [optional] constraints on days in which the breakout can run: preferred time slot, one of: TWTh 17:00PDT (TWTh24:00UTC or WThF00:00UTC), alternatively: F 08:00PDT (15:00 UTC). proposal is for a single meeting instance.
  • avoid conflict with: TPAC/2021/SessionIdeas#What_is_the_WebWeWant.fyi (shared co-facilitator)

Accessibility for Children

  • Proposer: Maud Stiernet and Suzanne Taylor
  • Email address of proposer: Suzanne.Taylor@ThingsEntertainment.net and Maud.Stiernet@ALittleLiningComes.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): We will introduce a new effort by the Accessibility for Children Community Group to write user needs related to accessibility for children.
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): Talk and Open Discussion.
  • Goals: 1.) Introduce the Accessibility for Children Community Group, its current scope, and its goals. 2.) Introduce the Group’s User Needs Project 3.) Show a few example user needs 4.) Hold an open discussion to get feedback on the work
  • shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout): ChildAccess
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists: Suzanne and Maud will present on behalf of the community group.
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public? Open to the public.
  • [optional] Timeslot: one slot at 2pm UTC
  • [optional] constraints on days in which the breakout can run: One slot at 2pm UTC. We are available to present on Monday, Tuesday, or Thursday.

Web Components Breakout

  • Proposer: Justin Fagnani (talk) 18:51, 6 October 2021 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: justinfagnani(at)google.com
  • Summary: Talk about current open issues in the web components specs.
  • Type of session: Open discussion
  • Goals: High-bandwidth live discussion of open issues. Reach consensus if possible.
  • Shortname: webcomponents
  • Additional speakers/panelists: Ryosuke Niwa, Mason Freed, Anne van Kesteren, Westbrook Johnson,
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public? Open to the public.

Standardizing Origin Private File System and AccessHandle

  • Proposer: Marijn Kruisselbrink (talk) 22:25, 7 October 2021 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: mek@google.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): Discuss the state of the AccessHandle proposal and what to do about standardizing the Origin Private File System.
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): Open discussion
  • Goals: Figure out which parts of the proposal have cross browser interest, and determine next steps to standardize these.
  • Shortname: opfs
  • Additional speakers/panelists:
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public? Open to the public.
  • Timeslot: one slot at 3pm UTC

Privacy Harms from Drive to First Party Data

  • Proposer: James Rosewell (talk) 09:13, 8 October 2021 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: james@51degrees.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): Understand how a drive to first party data as a result of web changes justified by privacy are creating real privacy harms for people.
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): open discussion
  • Goals: Explain the issues observed over the past year to raise awareness and discuss options to address.
  • shortname: privacy-harms
  • Open to the public.

Upgrade Privacy Boundary Solely Defined by Registerable Domains

  • Proposer: James Rosewell (talk) 09:13, 8 October 2021 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: james@51degrees.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): The sole use of registerable domain names to define privacy boundaries on the web is the root cause of many unintended consequences. Can we agree an upgraded architecture is needed and request TAG prioritize this work?
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): open discussion
  • Goals: Identify if we have a root cause that if addressed would resolve many other issues to the benefit of the W3C mission.
  • shortname: boundary-upgrade
  • Open to the public.

Role of Transparency and Audit in Data Sharing

  • Proposer: James Rosewell (talk) 09:13, 8 October 2021 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: james@51degrees.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): Role of transparency and audit in data sharing.
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): open discussion
  • Goals: Make the case to upgrade W3C policy to include audit and transparency to address discrimination caused by logic summarized as “feature X adds entropy which could be abused by bad actors, therefore we must remove or alter feature X, to the detriment of all actors whether good or bad”.
  • shortname: data-transparency
  • Open to the public.

Voice Workshop

  • Proposer: Kazuyuki Ashimura (talk) 09:29, 8 October 2021 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: ashimura@w3.org
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): As you know, voice agents including speech recognition and speech synthesis are getting more and more popular in everyday lives thanks to the advancement of HTML5 and related Web technologies. The technology is very useful for accessibility purposes and richer user experience. However, there are emerging needs for improved voice agents for, flexible speech styles, various voices, conversational interactions, etc. So we'd like to organize a W3C workshop to: (1) summarize the current status of the existing voice agents, (2) see the potential pain points for global deployment, e.g., interoperability of the multiple platforms and then (3) discuss how we could solve the issues, e.g., by providing a forum for joint discussion by related stakeholders.
  • Type of session: open discussion
  • Goals: See the issues pointed out by Léonie, Brian and Markku during the AC Meeting, and discuss the potential Voice Workshop. (Would collaborate with another breakout session on Voice Agent Interoperability
  • shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout):voice-ws
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists:
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public?: open to the public
  • [optional] Timeslot: two slots among 12am UTC, 3pm UTC or one slot at 2pm UTC
  • [optional] constraints on days in which the breakout can run: would avoid conflict with the Voice Agent Interoperability breakout unless merged with that session. also would avoid the conflict with Smart Cities

Smart Cities

  • Proposer: Kazuyuki Ashimura (talk) 09:48, 8 October 2021 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: ashimura@w3.org
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): W3C organized a virtual online workshop on Smart Cities in June, and now we've updated the [https://w3c.github.io/wot/charters/smart-cities/smart-cities-ig-charter.html draft Charter for a potential Smart Cities Interest Group to start concrete discussions on (1) interoperability for Web-based Smart City services and (2) use cases and requirements that W3C specifications need to meet to support Smart City services based on the workshop report. Now we'd like to organize another meeting to discuss the next steps for Smart Cities at W3C based on the updatd draft Charter.
  • Type of session: open discussion
  • Goals: Review the draft Smart Cities IG Charter updated based on the workshop discussion, and discuss the next steps for the expected Smart Citeis IG (who to participate, etc.)
  • shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout): smart-cities
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists:
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public?: open to the public
  • [optional] Timeslot: two slots among 12am UTC, 3pm UTC or one slot at 2pm UTC (asking the expected participants about their availability using a doodle poll; currently, the preferred slots are (1) Oct 18, 15:00 UTC and (2) Oct 21, 14:00ref)
  • [optional] constraints on days in which the breakout can run: would avoid conflict with the Voice Agent Interoperability breakout unless merged with that session. also would avoid the conflict with Voice Wokshop

Intro to the Developer Council

  • Proposer: Lola Odelola (panel) 16:36, 8 October 2021 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: lolaodelola+w3c@gmail.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): An introduction to the W3C developer council and an open discussion on how to get involved with W3C for developers.
  • Type of session: open discussion
  • Goals: Introduce the group, encourage developers to join and inform developers about W3C.
  • shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout): dev-council
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists: TBC
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public?: open to the public
  • [optional] Timeslot:
  • [optional] constraints on days in which the breakout can run:

What is the WebWeWant.fyi

  • Proposer: Stephanie Stimac (talk) 15:48, 8 October 2021 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: ststimac@microsoft.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): This session will go over the cross-browser and standards initiative WebWeWant.fyi that is focused on gathering developer feedback on missing capabilities in the web platform. We currently have 150 submissions that have been vetted as legitimate developer wants and would like to discuss how to make this information more valuable and actionable for the web community.
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): Open Discussion
  • Goals: Get feedback on how to make the WebWeWant.fyi more useful to the community and move items forward in standards groups.
  • shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout): webwewant
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists: Tantek Çelik 
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public? Public
  • [optional] Timeslot: 12am UTC, 3PM UTC
  • [optional] constraints on days in which the breakout can run: Tuesday 12am UTC or 3PM UTC or Friday 12 am or 3PM UTC
  • avoid conflict with: TPAC/2021/SessionIdeas#What_is_the_value_of_and_are_the_values_of_W3C (shared co-facilitator)

Selection APIs that support Shadow DOM

ARIA and IDL

  • Proposer: Cynthia Shelly (talk) 03:58, 9 October 2021 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: cyns@google.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): Discuss issues surrounding ARIA representation in IDL including Nullable Strings (https://github.com/w3c/aria/issues/1598, https://github.com/w3c/aria/issues/1058) and Element References (https://github.com/w3c/aria/issues/1596)
  • Type of session: open discussion
  • Goals: Resolve open issues in order to complete ARIA 1.2
  • ARIA and IDL
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists:
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public? Open
  • [optional] Timeslot: 12am UTC or 3pm UTC
  • [optional] constraints on days in which the breakout can run: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday

Environmental Concerns and Sustainability (s12y) of Web Technologies

  • Proposer: Tantek Çelik (talk) 04:13, 9 October 2021 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: tantek(at)cs.stanford.edu
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): This summer’s IPCC report made it clear that we need systemic changes in order to slow or avert climate crisis. The W3C Ethical Web Principles have Sustainability (s12y) as a principle. What are the systemic environmental & sustainability impacts of existing (e.g. ad-trackers) and proposed (e.g. PoW blockchains) web standards technologies? How often are "what aboutism" examples (e.g. video, CSS) or Nirvana fallacy comparisons used to rationalize additional energy use? How do we both "do no (more) harm", i.e. stop adding to and also work on reducing the web’s energy usage and thus carbon footprint?
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): Talk & Open Discussion
  • Goals: Broaden awareness of the actual & potential negative environmental impacts of existing & proposed web technologies, deepen a shared understanding of the W3C’s Sustainability Principle, brainstorm ideas for how we can both design more sustainable new technologies, and make existing technologies more sustainable.
  • shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout): sustainability
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists: co-facilitator(s) welcome, especially from the TAG!
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public? Public
  • [optional] Timeslot:
  • [optional] constraints on days in which the breakout can run:
  • avoid conflict with: TPAC/2021/SessionIdeas#What_is_the_value_of_and_are_the_values_of_W3C and TPAC/2021/SessionIdeas#What_is_the_WebWeWant.fyi (shared co-facilitator)

Open Web Docs 2021 Impact & Transparency Report

  • Proposer: Jory Burson (talk) 14:12, 11 October 2021 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: jory@openwebdocs.org
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): The Open Web Docs team will share results from their 2021 Impact & Transparency report, featuring meaningful improvements to MDN content repos. We will discuss/exchange ideas for further improvements in 2022, and how the W3C community can get involved with shaping the proposals and work.
  • Type of session: short presentation + open discussion
  • Goals: Highlight & clarify partnership & community work happening on MDN; Gather feedback on proposed new projects; Demonstrate opportunities for community input & participation.
  • shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout): openwebdocs
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists: OWD Team Members (Florian, Jean-Yves, Will, Estelle) and GC reps if available
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public? Public
  • [optional] Timeslot: two slots among 12am UTC, 7am UTC, 3pm UTC, one slot at 2pm UTC, or exception request
  • [optional] constraints on days in which the breakout can run: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday

Next Directions for Voice and the Web

  • Proposer: Deborah Dahl (talk) 21:16, 8 September 2021 (UTC) and Kazuyuki Ashimura (talk) 09:29, 8 October 2021 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: dahl@conversational-technologies.com, ashimura@w3.org
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): Voice agents are getting popular these days and very useful for accessibility purposes as well. However, there are emerging needs for improved voice agents including flexible speech styles, various voices, conversational interactions, and system interoperability. For example, there are silos of thousands of voice agents that only work with one platform. So enterprises have to develop multiple versions of their customer service applications and users may need multiple platforms to access all the voice agents they want to use. However, it would be much better if voice agents could interoperate with each other, perhaps using some standards analogous to HTML. So we'd like to organize a W3C workshop to: (1) summarize the current status of the existing voice agents, (2) see the potential pain points for global deployment, and then (3) discuss how we could solve the issues, e.g., by providing a forum for joint discussion by related stakeholders.
  • Type of session: open discussion
  • Goals: As the background, summarize issues concerning using speech recognition and text-to-speech on the web. After that, discuss the issues of voice agent interoperability and discuss how to improve the situation including the potential Voice Workshop.
  • shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout):voice
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists: (potentially) the speakers from the AC panel on "Web Speech"
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public?: open to the public
  • [optional] Timeslot: two slots among 12am UTC, 3pm UTC or one slot at 2pm UTC
  • [optional] constraints on days in which the breakout can run: would avoid conflict with Smart Cities

Edge Computing for the Web

  • Proposer: Song Xu, Dan Druta, Sudeep Divakaran
  • Email address of proposer: max.ldp@alibaba-inc.com & michael.mccool@intel.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): Edge Computing for the Web - New use-case trends, challenges and ideation of potential solutions.
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): Presentation followed by discussion
  • Goals: Identify opportunities for web APIs needed for Edge computing use-cases, capitalize on latest networking capabilities and look at challenges around security and privacy.
  • shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout): edge-computing
  • Additional speakers/panelists: Dapeng Liu and Michael Cooper
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public? TPAC only
  • Timeslot: 2pm UTC
  • constraints on days in which the breakout can run: Thursday, Friday

Creating the world we want to live in - at the intersection of Web Monetization, the Creative Economy and Diversity

  • Proposer: Karl Carter, Tawanda Brandon (Snake Nation)
  • Email address of proposer: Karl Carter <Karl@snakenation.co>
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): Vanguard Movements -- We are discussing the intersection of Web Monitization, Blockchain, and how these Technologies relate and advance the creative economy by striving for [inclusivity] diversity and equity. In this session members of Snake Nation and guests from the creative and tech space come together to discuss how we utilize our current tools of Web Monetization and Blockchain to tap into the power of the creative economy for the benefit of diverse creators that are traditionally shut out of these conversations or considerations. We will be discussing how to best utilize the cultural superpowers of Black and Brown communities and creators to advance the adoption of these technologies and unlock new business models and economies globally. Our focus will be on the African Diaspora, a community with incredible cultural influence and over $3.2Trillion in buying power globally and the creative economy, a $2.2 trillion globally economy that is in need of major inclusion and diversity. With emerging markets like Africa being major drivers of fintech adoption, mobile money/payments leapfrogging of legacy systems these communities are at the forefront of the movement and proving grounds to create more equitable relationships with the web and new economies.

After the session We expect the participants to be able to: • Better understand the creative economy [ their drivers and needs] • Where is the intersection and how to plan from that point of view • How Webmonitization and Interledger come into place • How blockchain comes into place

  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): Panel discussion in combination with a demo of our product included with a discussion on how other companies/organizations approach the Creative Economy.
  • Goals: To discuss inclusivity in the creative economy, How to create real change through the adoption of technology and inclusivity.
  • shortname: creative-economy
  • Additional speakers/panelists:
  • open to the public - yes
  • Timeslot: 3pm UTC: 8am US PT / 11am US ET / 4pm UK / 5pm CET / 7pm Dubai