This page is used for logo tests, please see the Task Force description for more organized and up-to-date information and decisions.
SWEO: Semantic Web Logo Ideas
The W3C Comm Team asked the SWEO group to extend the work on a SWEO logo to something that could be used for the whole Semantic Web and its technologies. Several approaches to this more complicated task were discussed at the 2nd F2F meeting. Based on the brainstorming session and initial tests, the group decided to aim at a design that could be used as a stand-alone Semantic Web logo, but also in combination with existing (e.g. RDF) or not-yet existing Semantic Web icons and "sub-logos". This page is used as a playground for drafts and ideas.
1) a combination of mirrored parts of a circle that form an "S" and a "W"
- nice 'n' simple
- works for any size
- can re-use the W3C logo colors (blue "S", black "W")
- can be combined with other semweb logos and icons
- the logo is almost point-symmetric
- the "S" is built on top of elements used to build the "W" (which transports that the semweb is an extension of the current web bla bla)
- the idea of using circle parts to form words is not new, there are hopefully no trademark problems with brands using a similar technique. the closest I can think of are the Software AG, but they use a negative effect to build a single character, and macromedia, which used it for flash, fireworks, and some other tools. Their flash "f" is still everywhere, but the other logos were replaced after the merger with Adobe.