This wiki section is used for the development and discussion of a general logo for the Semantic Web and associated (sub-)technologies. The SWEO IG was asked by the W3C Communications Team to extend its work on a group logo and to create a design which can be used for the whole Semantic Web initiative instead.
Several approaches to this task were discussed at the IG's 2nd F2F meeting. After a brainstorming session and initial tests, the group decided to aim at a design that could be used as a stand-alone Semantic Web logo, but also in combination with "sub-logos" such as the RDF graph triangle.
Requirements and Nice-to-Haves
- should work stand-alone,
- should work in combination with other icons,
- should be scalable to small sizes,
- should work in low resolutions and when printed in black and white,
- should (at least indirectly) represent some values associated with the Semantic Web (see below).
The Semantic Web
- enables integration,
- builds on and enhances the current Web,
- is the initial vision of the Web,
- brings self-describing data,
- adds structure and finer granularity.
The current design proposals are based on basic shapes that are arranged to form an (abstract) "S" and a "W" as an abbreviation of "Semantic Web" and at the same time communicate semantic web values. This is still work in progress (see the SemWeb logo playground page for current drafts). Once we have an agreed-on raw design, we plan to create a set of logos and buttons that combine the logo with other elements.
Templates/Examples for Buttons and Logo Combinations
The "semweb logo goes here" box will be replaced with the final logo. Colours and sub-logos are still just experimental.
The GRDDL sub-logo was designed by Simone Onofri.
Please see the Technology Logos playground page for sub logo drafts and discussions.
Below you find a selection of logos that could work with regard to the notes above. These are still drafts, but hopefully at least one (ideally, it'll be exactly one) could be the basis for a next step. Please feel free to add comments directly below the individual images.
4) "It's a Series Of Tubes!"
7) "the semweb builds on and extends the Web. Finer granularity, another dimension, etc"
9) "a graph-y one"
- SemWeb Technology Logo Ideas
- SemWeb Logo Ideas
- SWEO Logo Ideas
- SemWebLogoBrainstorming (2nd F2F, Stavanger, Norway, 2007-04-23)