socialwg Teleconf 2015-07-28
Tuesdays at 10am US/Pacific, 1pm US/Eastern time for 60 minutes
- Check your timezone
NEW phone number: +1-617-324-0000 There is a meeting number: 642 112 960 For the Webex "app", the password is still 'socl' (lowercase, easier for mobile). [WebEx]
Please get on IRC 15 minutes ahead of time and try to dial into WebEx to see if you have any issues.
No More Zakim
- Chair: Tantek (backup: Arnaud)
- Scribe: aaronpk, ben_thatmustbeme
- Regrets: Ann Bassetti, Christopher Allan Webber
Chair to start the meeting by typing on irc:
trackbot, start meeting
Trackbot should already be on the channel but if for some reason it is not call it with the following command:
Zakim won't know what meeting it is. Just ignore it. Pick a scribe from the list or ask Zakim to pick one up with the following command:
Zakim, pick a victim
Unfortunately Zakim has no idea who's scribed before so you may have to ask several times before getting an acceptable answer...
Also, with WebEx, Zakim doesn't know who is on the call so, as people join they should record their attendance with the command: present+ <nickname>
For additional info, see the Zakim documentation page.
- Participation is limited to members
Approval of Minutes of 14 July 2015
Activity Streams 2
- Status of publication of editor's draft?
- Proposal to replace media type "application/activity+json" by "application/ld+json" plus profile => Reopen https://github.com/jasnell/w3c-socialwg-activitystreams/issues/52 Reasons on separate Wiki page. Andreas Kuckartz (talk)
- Withdrawn per new information on wiki page provided.
-1 Reject. Per previous WG decision (many times upheld), AS2 may be consumed as "just JSON", must not require JSONLD processing, thus we stick with "application/activity+json". No reason given to re-open thus we should summarily reject this from telecon agenda until a reason is written up *in advance*.Tantek Çelik (talk) 22:49, 25 July 2015 (UTC)
- This is FUD. The proposal is *not* to "require JSONLD processing". I had already linked to the issue created by Markus Lanthaler and his very first sentence in that issue was and is "JSON-LD's media type has a profile parameter which would allow to convey the same information as a separate media type." Andreas Kuckartz (talk) 20:06, 26 July 2015 (UTC)
- +1 Reasons on separate Wiki page. Summary: the new media type is not necessary but creates additional work for those who want to process JSON-LD as "just JSON-LD". Andreas Kuckartz (talk) 19:55, 26 July 2015 (UTC)
- +1 in general +1 to creating wiki page explaining why it's importantMelvin Carvalho (talk)
- Withdrawn per new information on wiki page provided.
- Any update?
- Rename Inbox user story to what it actually is: "Read Social Streams" (or "Social Streams Reader") Tantek Çelik (talk) 22:56, 25 July 2015 (UTC)
- "Inbox" name is deceptive and provides misleading "email"-like framing
- 6 references to "social stream" in description and user story steps (so let's call it by what it's described as)
- Only 1 reference to "inbox" in description and user story steps, and even that is in context of "checks his social inbox stream".
- +1 Tantek Çelik (talk), e.g. "Inbox" implies very strongly that the reading application must keep track of read/unread status which is absolutely NOT the case in the user story, nor in typical "social web" scenarios where you read a stream of stuff from those you follow.
- +1 Aaron Parecki "Inbox" also has the implication that every item must be seen/processed by the person reading it, whereas the behavior on most social systems is a "stream" which people can dip in and out of.
- +1 Kevin Marks (talk) Inbox is what activity streams are defined in opposition too. See http://j.mp/twittertheory for background
- -1 This has already been voted on, approved and is being implemented. Already implementing this based on the current user story. I think it's a bit late to rename now, and will only slow us down further. Activity pump also has concept of inbox and outbox. What would be better would be to clarify the terms "inbox", "outbox", "inbox stream", "social stream" etc. I've started a thread on the Mail List about that. I think until feedback is gathered there, it does not make sense to arbitrarily change user stories.Melvin Carvalho (talk)
- to be clear, this suggestion for renaming the story does not in any way affect the functionality of it. Aaron Parecki (talk) 20:42, 26 July 2015 (UTC)
- People voted on the contents/steps of the user stories, not the labels/names of them. Commentary in the votes (especially on this user story) reflects that interpretation. If you're implementing based on the steps in the user story, no problem. If you're implementing based on bringing in external assumptions based on the bad choice of name, then you may have a problem. Tantek Çelik (talk) 21:37, 27 July 2015 (UTC)
- naming is important to my implementation, and inbox is the term used, this user story will be referenced, and would make me have to rework things. this is a very difficult user story to implement, and any changes now would get in the way of that, mainly because it requires dealing with 1000s of followers. I dont think any indieweb can do that, it's relevant to SoLiD and Activity pump. Please dont change unless there's a great reason to. Please reject from agenda. Melvin Carvalho (talk)
- -0 This looks a bit like bikeshedding Andreas Kuckartz (talk) 05:10, 28 July 2015 (UTC)
Charter License Update
Sandro is working on the new charter and will hopefully have an update for us on:
- When will this modified charter will go to the AC for a vote?
- draft expected to go to AC within a week, for 4 week voting period, unless someone comes up with a way to shortcut that.
Tracking of Actions and Issues
- W3C Tracker
- Raised issues http://www.w3.org/Social/track/issues/raised
- Issues Pending Review: http://www.w3.org/Social/track/issues/pendingreview
- Actions Pending Review: http://www.w3.org/Social/track/actions/pendingreview
Additional Agenda Items
DO NOT REMOVE THIS Additional Agenda Items SECTION, add more agenda items here (or in a NEW === section === previous to this section)
- 2015-08-11 with chair: Arnaud
Chair to close the meeting with the following command:
trackbot, end meeting
If you forget, trackbot will close the meeting for you when the activity dies down.
back to socialwg