Checkboxes in a group are non-exclusive options; more than one checkbox in a group can be checked at any given time.
When focus is on a checkbox, the Spacebar key toggles the selection, checking or unchecking the box.
Clicking on a checkbox with the primary mouse button toggles its selection.
- Checkboxes are typically represented as squares with a check mark inside when checked.
- If the checkbox is in an indetermined state, its appearance will resemble a disabled state.
ARIA Roles and Properties
- A two-state checkbox uses the role checkbox.
- A checkbox that also supports a mixed state uses the role checkboxtristate.
- Checkboxes can have these states:
- They may have the properties aaa:describedby and aaa:labeledby; see ARIA Relationships.
See also the tristate example in the Roles document.
Checkbox with title for accessible name