ISSUE-81: Offline Web Applications section should use the term "representation" instead of "resource"

representation-vs-resource

Offline Web Applications section should use the term "representation" instead of "resource"

State:
CLOSED
Product:
HTML 5 spec
Raised by:
Michael[tm] Smith
Opened on:
2009-09-24
Description:
quoting http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=7687 (Nikunj Mehta)

Application cache uses the term resource where it really talks about the bits
fetched from the network for a resource, which are called representations in
RFC 2616. The spec should be consistent with HTTP because of its dependency on
HTTP.
Related Actions Items:
No related actions
Related emails:
  1. Re: CfC: Request transition of HTML5 to Candidate Recommendation (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-11-26)
  2. Re: CfC: Request transition of HTML5 to Candidate Recommendation (from fielding@gbiv.com on 2012-11-25)
  3. Re: CfC: Request transition of HTML5 to Candidate Recommendation (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-11-25)
  4. Re: CfC: Request transition of HTML5 to Candidate Recommendation (from fielding@gbiv.com on 2012-11-25)
  5. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-05-06: Action items, issues, decision policy, calls, surveys, publishing - minutes (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2010-05-06)
  6. Re: Gloss standard terminology for resource/representation (ISSUE-81 Change Proposal) (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2010-05-06)
  7. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-05-06: Action items, issues, decision policy, calls, surveys, publishing (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-05-05)
  8. Re: Gloss standard terminology for resource/representation (ISSUE-81 Change Proposal) (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-05-05)
  9. Re: Gloss standard terminology for resource/representation (ISSUE-81 Change Proposal) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-04-30)
  10. Re: Gloss standard terminology for resource/representation (ISSUE-81 Change Proposal) (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2010-04-30)
  11. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-04-29: Action items, new issues, Task Force reports - minutes of the meeting (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2010-04-29)
  12. Re: Gloss standard terminology for resource/representation (ISSUE-81 Change Proposal) (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2010-04-29)
  13. Re: Gloss standard terminology for resource/representation (ISSUE-81 Change Proposal) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-04-29)
  14. Re: Gloss standard terminology for resource/representation (ISSUE-81 Change Proposal) (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2010-04-29)
  15. Re: Gloss standard terminology for resource/representation (ISSUE-81 Change Proposal) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-04-29)
  16. Re: Gloss standard terminology for resource/representation (ISSUE-81 Change Proposal) (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2010-04-29)
  17. Re: CfC: Close ISSUE-81 representation-vs-resource without prejudice (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-04-28)
  18. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-04-29: Action items, new issues, Task Force reports (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-04-28)
  19. CfC: Close ISSUE-81 representation-vs-resource without prejudice (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-04-21)
  20. Re: Gloss standard terminology for resource/representation (ISSUE-81 Change Proposal) (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2010-04-13)
  21. Re: Gloss standard terminology for resource/representation (ISSUE-81 Change Proposal) (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-04-13)
  22. Re: Gloss standard terminology for resource/representation (ISSUE-81 Change Proposal) (from fielding@gbiv.com on 2010-04-12)
  23. Re: Gloss standard terminology for resource/representation (ISSUE-81 Change Proposal) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-04-12)
  24. Re: Gloss standard terminology for resource/representation (ISSUE-81 Change Proposal) (from connolly@w3.org on 2010-04-12)
  25. Minutes of HTML WG meeting, Apr 8 2010 (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-04-08)
  26. Re: Gloss standard terminology for resource/representation (ISSUE-81 Change Proposal) (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-04-08)
  27. Re: Gloss standard terminology for resource/representation (ISSUE-81 Change Proposal) (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2010-04-08)
  28. Re: Gloss standard terminology for resource/representation (ISSUE-81 Change Proposal) (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-04-08)
  29. Re: Gloss standard terminology for resource/representation (ISSUE-81 Change Proposal) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-04-08)
  30. Re: Gloss standard terminology for resource/representation (ISSUE-81 Change Proposal) (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-04-08)
  31. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-04-08: calls for proposals, issue status (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-04-07)
  32. Re: Gloss standard terminology for resource/representation (ISSUE-81 Change Proposal) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-04-06)
  33. Re: Gloss standard terminology for resource/representation (ISSUE-81 Change Proposal) (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-04-06)
  34. Re: Gloss standard terminology for resource/representation (ISSUE-81 Change Proposal) (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2010-04-06)
  35. Re: Gloss standard terminology for resource/representation (ISSUE-81 Change Proposal) (from connolly@w3.org on 2010-04-06)
  36. Re: Gloss standard terminology for resource/representation (ISSUE-81 Change Proposal) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-04-06)
  37. Re: Gloss standard terminology for resource/representation (ISSUE-81 Change Proposal) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-04-06)
  38. Re: Gloss standard terminology for resource/representation (ISSUE-81 Change Proposal) (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-04-06)
  39. Re: Gloss standard terminology for resource/representation (ISSUE-81 Change Proposal) (from connolly@w3.org on 2010-04-06)
  40. Re: Gloss standard terminology for resource/representation (ISSUE-81 Change Proposal) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-04-06)
  41. Re: Gloss standard terminology for resource/representation (ISSUE-81 Change Proposal) (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-04-06)
  42. Re: Gloss standard terminology for resource/representation (ISSUE-81 Change Proposal) (from connolly@w3.org on 2010-04-06)
  43. Re: Gloss standard terminology for resource/representation (ISSUE-81 Change Proposal) (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-04-06)
  44. Gloss standard terminology for resource/representation (ISSUE-81 Change Proposal) (from connolly@w3.org on 2010-04-06)
  45. [minutes] 2010-04-01 HTML Teleconference (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-04-01)
  46. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-04-01: action items, decision policy update, issue status (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-03-30)
  47. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-04-01: action items, decision policy update, issue status (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-03-30)
  48. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-04-01: action items, decision policy update, issue status (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-03-30)
  49. [minutes] 20100325 HTML teleconference (from plh@w3.org on 2010-03-30)
  50. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-03-25: decision policy, issue status, updates from meetings, task force reports (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-24)
  51. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-03-25: decision policy, issue status, updates from meetings, task force reports (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-03-24)
  52. Re: Breakdown of issues (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-03-12)
  53. Breakdown of issues (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-12)
  54. Re: TAG Resolution on 'resource/representation' terminology in HTML 5 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2010-02-03)
  55. Re: TAG Resolution on 'resource/representation' terminology in HTML 5 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-02-02)
  56. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-01-28: (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-27)
  57. [VER 2] {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-01-21: AIs, CfC/CfPs, and heartbeat docs (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-01-21)
  58. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-01-21: AIs, CfC/CfPs, and heartbeat docs (from singer@apple.com on 2010-01-21)
  59. Re: ISSUE-81: representation-vs-resource - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-20)
  60. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-01-21: AIs, CfC/CfPs, and heartbeat docs (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-01-20)
  61. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-01-21: AIs, CfC/CfPs, and heartbeat docs (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-01-20)
  62. RE: ISSUE-81: representation-vs-resource - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-01-19)
  63. Re: ISSUE-81: representation-vs-resource - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from fielding@gbiv.com on 2010-01-18)
  64. Re: ISSUE-81: representation-vs-resource - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-18)
  65. Re: ISSUE-81: representation-vs-resource - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-01-18)
  66. Re: ISSUE-81: representation-vs-resource - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-18)
  67. RE: ISSUE-81: representation-vs-resource - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from masinter@adobe.com on 2010-01-18)
  68. Re: ISSUE-81: representation-vs-resource - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-17)
  69. Re: ISSUE-81: representation-vs-resource - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from fielding@gbiv.com on 2010-01-17)
  70. Re: ISSUE-81: representation-vs-resource - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2010-01-17)
  71. Re: ISSUE-81: representation-vs-resource - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-01-17)
  72. Re: ISSUE-81: representation-vs-resource - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from fielding@gbiv.com on 2010-01-16)
  73. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-01-07 (from masinter@adobe.com on 2010-01-13)
  74. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-01-14: AIs, CfC/CfPs, TFs, plus: heartbeat docs (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-01-13)
  75. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-01-14: AIs, CfC/CfPs, TFs, plus: heartbeat docs (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-01-13)
  76. Re: ISSUE-81: representation-vs-resource - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-12)
  77. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-01-07 (from ishida@w3.org on 2010-01-11)
  78. Re: ISSUE-81: representation-vs-resource - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from fielding@gbiv.com on 2010-01-06)
  79. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-01-07 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-06)
  80. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-12-17: action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task forces (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2009-12-15)
  81. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-12-17: action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task forces (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2009-12-15)
  82. Minutes HTML WG 10 December 2009 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2009-12-15)
  83. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-10-29: action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task forces (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2009-12-10)
  84. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-10-29: action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task forces (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2009-12-10)
  85. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-10-29: action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task forces (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2009-12-09)
  86. ISSUE-74: canvas-accessibility - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-12-08)
  87. ISSUE-81: representation-vs-resource - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-12-08)
  88. ISSUE-84: legacy-doctypes - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-12-08)
  89. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from ian@hixie.ch on 2009-10-12)
  90. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2009-10-12)
  91. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from ian@hixie.ch on 2009-10-12)
  92. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2009-10-12)
  93. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from ian@hixie.ch on 2009-10-12)
  94. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2009-10-07)
  95. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com on 2009-10-07)
  96. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2009-10-07)
  97. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com on 2009-10-07)
  98. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2009-10-07)
  99. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com on 2009-10-06)
  100. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from nikunj.mehta@oracle.com on 2009-10-06)
  101. RE: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) CORRECTION (from masinter@adobe.com on 2009-10-06)
  102. RE: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from masinter@adobe.com on 2009-10-06)
  103. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from ian@hixie.ch on 2009-10-06)
  104. minutes of 2009-10-01 telcon (from mike@w3.org on 2009-10-02)
  105. Agenda for HTML WG telcon 2009-09-24 - CfCs, Accessibility TF, Testing TF, etc. (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-09-30)
  106. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from nikunj.mehta@oracle.com on 2009-09-29)
  107. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2009-09-29)
  108. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2009-09-29)
  109. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-09-28)
  110. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from nikunj.mehta@oracle.com on 2009-09-28)
  111. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-09-28)
  112. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from nikunj.mehta@oracle.com on 2009-09-28)
  113. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-09-28)
  114. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from nikunj.mehta@oracle.com on 2009-09-28)
  115. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-09-28)
  116. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from fielding@gbiv.com on 2009-09-28)
  117. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from nikunj.mehta@oracle.com on 2009-09-28)
  118. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from nikunj.mehta@oracle.com on 2009-09-28)
  119. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from ian@hixie.ch on 2009-09-28)
  120. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from ian@hixie.ch on 2009-09-28)
  121. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from nikunj.mehta@oracle.com on 2009-09-28)
  122. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from nikunj.mehta@oracle.com on 2009-09-28)
  123. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from nikunj.mehta@oracle.com on 2009-09-28)
  124. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from nikunj.mehta@oracle.com on 2009-09-28)
  125. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from fielding@gbiv.com on 2009-09-28)
  126. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from jackalmage@gmail.com on 2009-09-28)
  127. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from fielding@gbiv.com on 2009-09-28)
  128. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from jackalmage@gmail.com on 2009-09-28)
  129. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from karl+w3c@la-grange.net on 2009-09-28)
  130. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2009-09-28)
  131. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2009-09-28)
  132. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from ian@hixie.ch on 2009-09-28)
  133. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from ian@hixie.ch on 2009-09-28)
  134. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2009-09-28)
  135. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from ian@hixie.ch on 2009-09-28)
  136. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from ian@hixie.ch on 2009-09-28)
  137. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from fielding@gbiv.com on 2009-09-27)
  138. RE: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from masinter@adobe.com on 2009-09-27)
  139. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from fielding@gbiv.com on 2009-09-27)
  140. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-09-27)
  141. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2009-09-27)
  142. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from ian@hixie.ch on 2009-09-27)
  143. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2009-09-27)
  144. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from hsivonen@iki.fi on 2009-09-27)
  145. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-09-27)
  146. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2009-09-27)
  147. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from ian@hixie.ch on 2009-09-27)
  148. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2009-09-27)
  149. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-09-27)
  150. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2009-09-27)
  151. Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-09-27)
  152. ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation) (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2009-09-27)
  153. [Bug 7687] Use 'representation' instead of 'resource'=?UTF-8?Q?=20in=20=EF=BF=BD6?=.9 (from bugzilla@wiggum.w3.org on 2009-09-24)

Related notes:

[MikeSmith]: escalated from http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=7687

24 Sep 2009, 07:53:23

[MikeSmith]: see also http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=8264

12 Nov 2009, 10:39:34

[rubys]: people who note remaining discrepancies are encouraged to open bugs

6 May 2010, 16:12:42

Changelog:

Created issue 'Offline Web Applications section should use the term "representation" instead of "resource"' nickname owned by on product , description '' non-public

24 Sep 2009, 07:50:22

nickname changed to 'representation-vs-resource'

Michael[tm] Smith, 24 Sep 2009, 07:55:58

Owner changed to 'Michael(tm) Smith'

Michael[tm] Smith, 24 Sep 2009, 07:55:58

Description changed to 'quoting http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=7687 (Nikunj Mehta)

Application cache uses the term resource where it really talks about the bits
fetched from the network for a resource, which are called representations in
RFC 2616. The spec should be consistent with HTTP because of its dependency on
HTTP.'

Michael[tm] Smith, 24 Sep 2009, 07:55:58

Product changed to HTML 5 spec

Michael[tm] Smith, 24 Sep 2009, 07:55:58

Status changed to 'open'

Sam Ruby, 12 Feb 2010, 20:12:49

Status changed to 'closed'

6 May 2010, 16:12:13


Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Chairs, Michael[tm] Smith <mike@w3.org>, Staff Contact
Tracker: documentation, (configuration for this group), originally developed by Dean Jackson, is developed and maintained by the Systems Team <w3t-sys@w3.org>.
$Id: index.php,v 1.323 2013-12-19 14:47:09 dom Exp $