Important note: This Wiki page is edited by participants of the AGWG. It does not necessarily represent consensus and it may have incorrect information or information that is not supported by other Working Group participants, WAI, or W3C. It may also have some very useful information.
- 1 SC Shortname
- 2 SC Text
- 3 Suggested Priority Level
- 4 Related Glossary additions or changes
- 5 What Principle and Guideline the SC falls within.
- 6 Description
- 7 Benefits
- 8 Testability
- 9 Techniques
- 10 Related Information
No loss of content or functionality on a webpage is caused by overriding:
- font family to Verdana, or
- foreground and background to white on black, or
- line height of all text to 1.5, letter spacing to 0.12 em, and word spacing to 0.16 em.
Suggested Priority Level
Related Glossary additions or changes
What Principle and Guideline the SC falls within.
Principle 1, Guideline 1.4
Simply Put: You can separate lines as much as you need to help you read.
Spacing such as space between lines and space between words impacts readability.
The space between lines in a block of text is also called leading. Some people need more space between lines to be able to read text. Line spacing also helps with tracking.
User Need: Line Spacing: Users can change the line spacing (leading) for blocks of text.
Some people need more space between letters to read text.
User Need: Letter Spacing: Users can change the letter spacing (space between letters/characters) of blocks of text.
Some people need more space between words to read text.
User Need: Word Spacing: Users can change the word spacing (space between words) of blocks of text.
- Use some mechanism to change the spacing of characters, words, lines and paragraphs in content. (e.g. user stylesheet).
- Check that spacing of characters, words, lines and paragraphs in content changed by the amount set in # 1..
- # 2 is true
Existing Relevant Techniques
- $$All existing techniques for x.x.x$$
- $$New technique: Title$$
- ACTION-28: Think about spacing resizing, e.g., ems for spacing on Shawn Henry, January 20, 2016
- ACTION-65: Create 3 scs, justification, spacing (letter, word, line, para), margins on Jim Allan, July 7, 2016
- Sentence spacing studies - Wikipedia
- $$ Add email $$
- WCAG WG 2.1 GitHub Issue 78 - Opened by Jim Allan, 1 December 2016
- Spacing (User Need 3.4.1, 3.4.2, 3.4.3, 3.4.5) LVTF GitHub SC Issue #11
- 12 May 2016 LVTF minutes (Leading Spacing)
- 12 May 2016 LVTF minutes (Letter Spacing)
- 12 May 2016 LVTF minutes (Word spacing Spacing)
- Ready for WCAG - 1 December 2016
- $$ Add surveys $$