Bug 16003 - CSSTransformValue is defined, but there's no way to get one
CSSTransformValue is defined, but there's no way to get one
Status: RESOLVED LATER
Product: CSS
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Transforms
unspecified
All All
: P2 normal
: ---
Assigned To: Simon Fraser
public-css-bugzilla
:
Depends on:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2012-02-16 18:18 UTC by Aryeh Gregor
Modified: 2012-02-23 05:20 UTC (History)
8 users (show)

See Also:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Aryeh Gregor 2012-02-16 18:18:56 UTC
http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-transforms/ defines a CSSTransformValue interface.  However, unless I'm missing something, it provides no way to obtain any object that implements this interface, such as operations on other interfaces that return a CSSTransformValue, or attributes on other interfaces of type CSSTransformValue, or a constructor on the CSSTransformValue interface.  Either some way of obtaining a CSSTransformValue needs to be defined, or the interface should be removed from the spec.

Cf. bug 15443.
Comment 1 Simon Fraser 2012-02-16 18:33:26 UTC
stylesheet.cssRules.item(0).style.getPropertyCSSValue('transform'); would give you a CSSValueList, and each member of that list is a CSSTransformValue..
Comment 2 Simon Fraser 2012-02-16 18:33:57 UTC
However, given the state of the CSS OM standardization, I agree that we might want to just remove all the CSS OM-related stuff from the spec.
Comment 3 Aryeh Gregor 2012-02-16 18:40:21 UTC
getPropertyCSSValue() is not defined by any specification that I was able to find.  When I checked before, it didn't seem to work at all interoperably across browsers.  I think we should keep the CSSOM stuff, but only the stuff that actually has specs written for it (even if they're unstable or inaccurate).
Comment 4 Dirk Schulze 2012-02-16 18:46:32 UTC
(In reply to comment #3)
> across browsers.  I think we should keep the CSSOM stuff, but only the stuff
> that actually has specs written for it (even if they're unstable or
> inaccurate).

Sorry, that makes no sense at all. On the one hand you say we don't need it because we can't access it. On the other hand you say we should leave it in the Spec?

If we leave it in the Spec, why not making it really useful, instead of leaving it broken and not useful at all?
Comment 5 Aryeh Gregor 2012-02-16 20:15:48 UTC
(In reply to comment #4)
> Sorry, that makes no sense at all. On the one hand you say we don't need it
> because we can't access it. On the other hand you say we should leave it in the
> Spec?

No, I'm saying we should leave stuff in the spec only if it's actually defined.  For instance, getComputedStyle() is defined by CSSOM, so we should leave in the stuff that relates to getComputedStyle() and try to make it as accurate as possible.  But if there's no way that's defined to get a CSSTransformValue, we shouldn't spec it.  Either we should define a way to get one, or remove it from the spec.  Either way is fine by me, if non-WebKit implementations have support for it or are interested in adding it.
Comment 6 L. David Baron (Mozilla) 2012-02-16 20:26:08 UTC
Per http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2003Oct/0347.html getPropertyCSSValue has been deprecated and is intended to be replaced; we shouldn't be specifying new features on top of it, so I agree this should be removed.
Comment 7 L. David Baron (Mozilla) 2012-02-17 00:34:27 UTC
To be clear, my proposal is to remove the entirety of section 17 (DOM Interfaces) from css3-transforms.
Comment 8 L. David Baron (Mozilla) 2012-02-17 00:35:55 UTC
And this issue has been raised multiple times before, e.g.:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Sep/0120.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011Nov/0710.html
Comment 9 Aryeh Gregor 2012-02-17 16:21:22 UTC
(In reply to comment #7)
> To be clear, my proposal is to remove the entirety of section 17 (DOM
> Interfaces) from css3-transforms.

I concur.
Comment 10 Glenn Adams 2012-02-17 16:29:22 UTC
(In reply to comment #7)
> To be clear, my proposal is to remove the entirety of section 17 (DOM
> Interfaces) from css3-transforms.

+1
Comment 11 Dirk Schulze 2012-02-23 05:20:42 UTC
This gets delayed to CSS4 Transforms.