APA Weekly Teleconference

10 Jan 2024


Fredrik, IrfanA, JenStrickland, Leandro, matatk, mike_beganyi, Nichole, niklasegger, PaulG

Meeting minutes

Agenda Review & Announcements

janina: any items to add to agenda?

matatk: we have several new people, welcome all. perhaps a round of introductions?

janina: certainly

introductions occur

janina: welcome to all the new folks. we are happy to have you with us.

New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

Roy: no new charters yet

A11y Review Comment Tracker https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

Explicit Review Requests https://github.com/w3c/a11y-request/issues

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

CSS Update (Paul) https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues

<PaulG> w3c/csswg-drafts#9644

<gb> Issue 9644 [css-viewport] [css-zoom] Should zoom affect iframes? (by chrishtr) [css-viewport-1]

<PaulG> iframes to be affected by zoom

PaulG: zoom property of CSS affecting iframes

PaulG: not browser zoom. when zoom is applied in CSS and changes the size of an element. based on last report I gave, the box model won't report the new size it will report the original size

<PaulG> w3c/csswg-drafts#9746

PaulG: this is an effort to make zoom consistent

<gb> Issue 9746 [css-conditional-4] Need a way in CSS to test for support of HTML features (by jensimmons) [css-conditional-4]

<PaulG> HTML element and attribute support queries in CSS

PaulG: about HTML element and attribute support for media queries in CSS. very interesting. helpful for progressive enhancement and for cross-platform to provide better fallbacks

PaulG: came out of Safari's switch control (basically checkbox). it can be styled and is a native switch control.

PaulG: no issues with what is happening. I think they're on the right path.

PaulG: these two items are applicable to accessibility

matatk: trying to undestand query, if you query for the attribute it will return true if true.

PaulG: this is a browser capability query. does the browser understand switch or is it parsing an attribute

PaulG: goes for elements as well. can have javascript dialog take a dialog's place if necessary. mostly for non-standard kiosk browsers, older devices, and others that can't be updated regularly

matatk: right now, could make CSS selector that has attribute of switch, but that won't behave as expected because the browser doesn't understand that attribute

PaulG: specifically "HTML" is the suggested syntax. example queries there. that would be new syntax and new capability

PaulG: CSS looking at "HTML" if it doesn't understand it, it won't use it

janina: the pattern for handling attributes in Adapt, would this be similar, Mat?

PaulG: my guess is only if it is exposed through the javascript. make it reflect into javascript. if it did, Adapt could make better use of it

matatk: how do you mean reflect in the Javascript?

PaulG: pattern of making things available in Javascript. this is still early but seems to have support.

matatk: question about zoom. no concerns about it. could you explain the bit where you mention that if you're in the iframe and you calculate layout, and the iframe is being zoomed, the calculations return the results before the zoom is applied?

PaulG: right. the concern is that if you're applying zoom from a higher-order iframe into a lower-level iframe, if it's not supported, you might be manipulated and then covering.

PaulG: wanting to make sure nothing is covered. can't guarantee if someone is applying zoom. if not the same origin, can't query the parent frame to understand I'm being zoomed

PaulG: will report the CSS is manipulating the zoom. basically have to constantly query to know zoom

matatk: what situations would it break technically?

PaulG: if using zoom on hover, you would zoom on focus. it should not be zooming something that covers an interactive element. people commonly animate using zoom. none of that has changed, it's just that there's potential for architecture to affect zoom in their iframes

matatk: thanks Paul. this is an interesting conversation.

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/open

janina: any open actions to report on?

matatk: we have a review we're working on for BBS Crypto Suite (Verifiable Credentials WG). we discussed on a call before the holiday.

matatk: had a concern about this not going near humans, mandating a particular format for dates. left a comment in their repository regarding that

matatk: haven't heard back yet. I did notice that they were mandating that we use UTC dates. posted a question about that hoping for a response soon

matatk: might need help reviewing the spec itself. will post on the list if we need additional help

CSS Update (Paul) https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues

Task Force & Deliverables Updates


<matatk> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/


<matatk> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/task-forces/adapt/

janina: activity which started out of COGA's use cases. Adapt TF taking on support for augmentative communication symbol sets. allowing authors to decorate using AAC symbols where possible.

janina: opportunity to do it is there. we are moving forward on this. debates on how to affect that most effectively.

janina: making content more manageable. could be a curb cut for all accessibility. might not have accessibility needs to appreciate a decorated login page

janina: exciting opportunities here.

matatk: some newer work to mention. discussion recently about how trigger warnings themselves can be triggering.

matatk: would be better if content wasn't displayed and without fanfare. would be a better use case for many users. sounds like media queries. could be an avenue to explore

matatk: maybe we can make a case for expanding media queries

janina: this is a very active area

PaulG: obviously I think it's a good idea. how it gets put together will be interesting to see. could be like data attributes in HTML. the trick would be having the user agent expose the topic or name of the content and allow the person to opt-in to show or hide

PaulG: could be rife with misspellings and other concerns but this will remain to be seen.

matatk: as you suggest, data attributes may be the best avenue

Spoken Presentation

<matatk> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/task-forces/pronunciation/

<IrfanA> me/ sorry I was on mute

PaulG: waiting for additional comments on discussion. will need to present our best effort to get break in. that is the part of the spec that is being rubbed against. it's Pause/Break

PaulG: shift load of Pause/Break into reviving CSS speech or something else.

janina: trying to come up with a consistent way for web content authors you can rely on TTS engines that support SSL. we want to control how things are pronounced. that is not possible today and it is a problem for many reaosns


<mike_beganyi> s/ reaosns / reasons /

<matatk> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/task-forces/research-questions/

janina: into collaborative tools. additional collaborative programming environments. looking at accessibility challenges in these interfaces.

janina: how do we manage complexity? what do we name our target activity areas?

janina: whole series of questions about this and all work.

Maturity Model

<matatk> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/task-forces/maturity-model/

janina: building a framework for how to track accessibility in any organization from one-person to large entity. trying to cover all ways that accessibility needs to be tracked so it's easier to track progress


<matatk> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/task-forces/fast/

Other Business

be done

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 221 (Fri Jul 21 14:01:30 2023 UTC).


Succeeded: s/present_//

Failed: s/ reaosns / reasons /

No scribenick or scribe found. Guessed: mike_beganyi

Maybe present: janina, Roy

All speakers: janina, matatk, PaulG, Roy

Active on IRC: Fredrik, IrfanA, janina, JenStrickland, Leandro, matatk, mike_beganyi, Nichole, niklasegger, PaulG