Cognitive and Learning Disabilities Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

30 November 2023


EA, JohnRochford, julierawe, KatyB, kirkwood, Lisa

Meeting minutes

mental health

<Lisa> https://docs.google.com/document/d/15HtPkkYx1CIl6bAwP2nsSZKhqTVbqcuMDRz5RmtmvXg/edit#heading=h.qdo5wby617fu

<kirkwood> https://www.w3.org/community/solid/wiki/Main_Page

<Lisa> next item

<Lisa> close item 1

<Lisa> next item

<Lisa> proposals: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1K4tI9SV4lsDXzCdaEAXExeL3f061__Sy06lfGV9mLvY/edit#heading=h.21xt52prd86k


Meeting yesterday internationalisation group agreed proposal but need to share drafts of documents. But sceptic of 5 languages - may bring up other languages

Julie felt they may do some work for us re: other languages or other items... CSS etc

Lisa mentioned diacritics and line spacing meaning different things

International group take in different things that may not be what we actually need for our coga individuals.

They will check the things that we miss and we will make robust tests.. use common words etc

The other part of our work will be to ask for wide review and the is that we will have considered other languages

Julie mentioned that they wondered about the scope of the clear language / coga international subgroup

We may be missing a language that has a lot of accents/diacritics that affect line spacing/height. Check it will be on Jeanne's radar.

Many languages have these issues including the one we are looking at.

We really cannot look at all the topographical issues with every language - not possible in the time scale - have a wider review as may miss things

Julie agreed with Lisa and mentioned the importance of going to wider groups - allow outcomes to be checked with users of different languages - gather input as we go along.

Katy agreed to start reaching out to her network - researchers in Mandarin and Italian as a start and also Arabic - focussing on the five languages to begin with

Julie asking if there are any other questions about yesterday's meeting.

John - going forward with the internationalisation group - if we share a document we need to add a reminder about what we are doing and what we agreed.

<KatyB> Sounds like you all did really well

Julie corroborated the thought - need to ensure we do what is feasible...

Julie asked what is our next sprint...

<KatyB> Yes I think that would work really well.

Julie talked about the new phase with the internationalisation team. Suggested we pick a small number of items from Clear Language. Conditional tests in English and start outreach to see what the outcome would be in other languages. What might not work for a language other than English.

Start by focussing on a small group of outcomes. Get them ready to send to the internationlisation team to see what they think

Reach out to input in particular from the 4 other languages other than English.

Julie also added sending out a quick survey before getting back to the internationalisation team

Lisa - some outcomes do not make sense in other languages so this needs to be dealt with before going ahead with trialing the other languages

Lisa highlighted that there is a lot of content that needs to be clarified before going into other languages.

Lisa suggested that possibly highlight things that the language people find difficult.

John R. suggested whether people want a digest or single items to review

Julie - is concerned that giving people choices could make it a bit complex

John suggested that the list serve can do this automatically - need to reduce barriers for engagement.

John mentioned the service could be set up with different timescales for the posting of outcomes

Katy's network has a simple mailing list that is run in Finland.

Julie was concerned that she does not know how to do this administratively

John said he could look into it .

Julie felt it would be good to offer choices

Julie felt that Lisa's point about offering a larger chunk would be important but Julie wants to ask can we realistically get through in the next 10 weeks

Lisa suggested may need to recruit more people - go outreach - do they want to join the task force as an invited expert

Lisa wants to make sure we have people in the five languages on the task so can share the plain language

John is concerned about what we can use for the list serve choices and whether W3C has different groups that can help

Lisa suggested reaching out via email to gather paricipants to develop the tests for the different languages.

John agreed that having a community group would be a good way to go with anyone signing up - that is outside W3C

error- W3C community group - anyone can sign up as they do not have voting capacity

Julie said that coga has a community group - they can have meetings

Lisa said they are more relaxed groups and could be a good place to go for working sessions - do not have to be a W3C member

<KatyB> This is the organisation that currently administers Easy Language International Network: http://www.risa.si/ It's Slovenia, not Finland, apologies.

Julie also agreed with Lisa that it would be good to reach out to people to just have people on the groups for smaller parcels of work in particular for particular languages

<kirkwood> https://www.w3.org/community/

John mentioned that any expert can join

Katy said that people cannot commit long term due to time constraints but happy to act as experts and help when and where they can

John then said that as a member of the community group people can then see if they could become invited experts

Julie suggested that as a action creating a community group would be good and this would not need a separate plan

<KatyB> Yes, happy to share through the mailing list I'm on. But also advertise on the ELIN facebook page, although it's quite new: https://www.facebook.com/ELINnetwork/

Julie is going to ask how to do it and then send it out to the various W3C groups.

Lisa said two people need to be set as the chair, otherwise anyone can be a chair.

Lisa suggested that you can have someone as a chair that is already on the task force and as the group developed others can become the chair

Lisa mentioned that the community group is owned by the community and they may want to change some of the decisions made by the Clear Language group regarding internationalisation.

There is a need to define the group clearly

John suggested an action item - Create a document that explains what we are doing, initial ideas for help needed and time commitments

Julie felt that setting expectations was a good idea. Also mentioned different W3C language enablement groups.


Julie will start drafting the document that explains what is needed and will also set up the community group listserve with two chairs

Julie asked the group to think who should join the community group.

Lisa said to keep the document short

John suggested that Julie and he become chairs and then recruit others.

<JohnRochford> +1

Lisa mentioned the need to say who are we recruiting and why

Lisa mentioned that we have notes about recruiting

<Lisa> a-STEP-action/a-STEP

<Lisa> https://github.com/a-STEP-action/a-STEP/wiki/Channels

<Lisa> https://live-it.azurewebsites.net/Toolkit/SearchToolkit

Here is a copy of the coga community page https://www.w3.org/community/coga-community/

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 221 (Fri Jul 21 14:01:30 2023 UTC).


No scribenick or scribe found. Guessed: EA

Active on IRC: EA, JohnRochford, julierawe, KatyB, kirkwood, Lisa