22 November 2023


Dr__Keith, IrfanAli, janina, Lionel, matatk, PaulG, Roy
Fredrik_Fischer, Gottfried_Zimmerman, Niklas_Egger
Irfan Ali, matatk

Meeting minutes

Agenda Review & Announcements

Open CfC Reminder https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa-admin/2023Nov/0000.html

<IrfanAli> matatk: CFC is still open to comment. we thought it was well written spec which promotes accessibility. Janina highlighted something that we do support. we are currently waiting for the comments.

<IrfanAli> matatk: this CFC is open by end of today boston time.

<IrfanAli> janina: we do have shared my feedback with few people and they responded with an idea. perhaps finding another avenue to discuss about my comments.

New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

<IrfanAli> Roy: there is nothing new from this week.

A11y Review Comment Tracker https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

CSS Update (Paul) https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues

<IrfanAli> PaulG: no new updates.

<IrfanAli> matatk: curious to know about some stuff that we discussed at TPAC.


<IrfanAli> matatk: CSS working group shared document with a proposal (as per the link). please read this doc and let us know your opinion. following on this work is very interesting.

<IrfanAli> PaulG: it was discussed a while back. perhaps, they are following up on this.

<IrfanAli> janina: we should look into it on broader perspective and not just from CSS perspective.

<IrfanAli> matatk: we need track this. there are lot of issues with details and summary.

<IrfanAli> various stakeholders are working on this and feedback is important in-order to standardize it.

<IrfanAli> janina: music xml is a use-case

<IrfanAli> Lionel: I dont see any summary and details that you mentioned with the embedded details. we are talking about it at ADAPT

<IrfanAli> matatk: dont think it is a technique that we would use in well known ADAPT spec.

<IrfanAli> matatk: we have explainers for some specs which describes the design decisions methodologies. it is a good process to go through the explainer documents. we would be talking more about it in ADAPT calls.

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/open

<IrfanAli> matatk: after CFC, I did post my comments on WHATWG thread.


<IrfanAli> matatk: per the comment, Nik mentioned that we would reach out to APG, ARIA. may be they update the pattern at ARIA to match.

<IrfanAli> matatk: is there anyone who would like to helpmus with reaching out to APG team and ARIA team, and raising this issue with them.

<IrfanAli> PaulG: may be we can simply file an issue

<IrfanAli> matatk: need to learn how are they focus tracking.


There's also alertdialog (and maybe etc.)

<IrfanAli> PaulG: JS handlers which handles change. 450 lines of code could be simplified.

<PaulG> https://a11ysupport.io/tech/html/inert_attribute


<IrfanAli> matatk: inert attr is a new way of flagging the content cannot be interact with. you can do dialog with inert attribute with more ease. it seems a good idea. even if APG team wants to keep existing approach than they could still allow focus to leave

<IrfanAli> PaulG: inert version would be much better to manage the focus. general version of focus behavior was one version. but inert approach is much better for various use-cases

<IrfanAli> matatk: I can three issues here. pattern needs to be changed, why dont we just use inert, what is the policy when we move to inert?

<IrfanAli> is anyone up for looking into any of those three issues?

<IrfanAli> janina: I will continue looking into CC level discussion because we have something to resolve there.

<IrfanAli> matatk: it is important us to file an issue as a first preference.

<IrfanAli> janina: one of the concept that APT want to Rokus. we will have this discussion

<IrfanAli> PaulG: last update was 4 months ago. if we are talking about policy and decision, they have to update the explainer with more examples. may be they are within the timeframe and working on this.

<IrfanAli> janina: we shall findout

<IrfanAli> PaulG: I am happy to look at the implementation and can do little research about it.

<IrfanAli> Lionel: want to check about my understanding about trap focus. is there any workaround.

<IrfanAli> PaulG: there is a workaround but not always available. not a great experience. very large dialog could lead to cognitive problems

IrfanAli: Escape key is a standard shortcut

PaulG: Escape isn't required for an alertdialog

IrfanAli: There seem to be a lot of gaps here still (e.g. a JavaScript alert).

PaulG: An alert() would allow someone to get back to the browser's UI
… People forget to delegate platform options that appear, e.g. if they implement a custom context menu, they may forget standard things like copy, paste, print, bookmarks, ...
… That's a huge issue for people who may be trying to determine that they're not being scammed.
… Very important to allow people the tools to help themselves out of such situtaions.

IrfanAli: Sometimes there's no way to escape from a dialog, e.g. a browser's save password feature.

<Lionel> +1 to looking at use cases that involve the Chrome and passwords

Task Force & Deliverables Updates

New specs brewing in Adapt: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-adapt/2023Nov/0012.html

<IrfanAli> matatk: without giving much details, if you are interested in some interesting work, here it is. we discussed that during the TPAC at vancouver. we think we have got a good way to split the problem and tackle them.

<IrfanAli> matatk: Adapt is the place where it is happening.

Other Business

<Lionel> +1 to the excitement regarding what we are doing in Adapt

be done

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 221 (Fri Jul 21 14:01:30 2023 UTC).


Succeeded: s/matatk: music xml is a use-case/janina: music xml is a use-case/

Succeeded: s/ADAP is/Adapt is/

All speakers: IrfanAli, PaulG

Active on IRC: Dr__Keith, IrfanAli, janina, Lionel, matatk, PaulG, Roy