APA Weekly Teleconference

08 Nov 2023


Fredrik, IrfanAli, janina, Lionel_Wolberger, matatk, mike_beganyi, Nichole, niklasegger, PaulG, Roy

Meeting minutes

Agenda Review & Announcements

matatk: I'm glad to be back, looking forward working together again

<Lionel_Wolberger> +1 glad to have Matt here, now from Samsung!

janina: We have now a liason with coga, more details next week

Conference Attendance Checkins

<Fredrik> Matthew! Whoop whoop! With far superior sound quality to boot!

matatk: Who is going to be at CSUN 2024? (Please ask in your taskforces, who is also going)

Nichole: I'm going

matatk: Awesome, and who is going to AccessU next year in Austin, Texas in May?

matatk: Anyone who is in a taskforce please report back, who is going

Nichole: I'm also going to ATIA

Fredrik: I'm going to the Zero Project next year

Lionel_Wolberger: Me too

New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

Browser Tools and Testing WG (WebDriver) rechartering

<Roy> - charter: https://w3c.github.io/charter-drafts/2024/btt-wg.html

<Roy> - issue: w3c/strategy#438

<gb> Issue 438 Browser Tools and Testing WG (WebDriver) rechartering (by sideshowbarker) [Horizontal review requested] [charter]

Roy: They want to have a liason with, work with us. There is a possibility of a11y considerations

matatk: I think we just need to work with them in general, but let me double check. I don't think they ask for a specifiy liason, more like a horizontal review

<janina> TPAC 2024 is a hybrid meeting the week of 23-27 September 2024. In person will be at the Hilton Anaheim, California uSA

matatk: I don't see any concerning parts, I think we can sign it off. Are there any objections?

(... no objections)

A11y Review Comment Tracker https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

matatk: Any new comments/ requests?

[accordion] UA ability for user to over-ride exclusive accordions functionality

<Roy> - issue: openui/open-ui#925

<gb> Issue 925 [accordion] UA ability for user to over-ride exclusive accordions functionality (by gregwhitworth) [a11y-tracker] [accordion]

Clarify details documentation for a11y and usage

<Roy> - issue: whatwg/html#9899

<gb> Issue 9899 Clarify details documentation for a11y and usage (by scottaohara) [accessibility] [a11y-tracker]

janina: Big topic, since a few years. We should keep an eye on it

matatk: I'm going to have a look into these threads. Once I have understood the situation better I will post in the list

Explicit Review Requests https://github.com/w3c/a11y-request/issues

<matatk> w3c/a11y-request#66

<gb> Issue 66 DAPT 2021-07-18 (by nigelmegitt) [REVIEW REQUESTED] [FPWD] [pending]

matatk: I thought we have done the DAPT one?

matatk: They have been waiting since July

matatk: Do you want to take a look at it Fredrik?

Fredrik: Yeah, sure

janina: I'll have a look too and hopefully a response ready by next week

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

CSS Update (Paul) https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues

Paul: There is nothing going on right now. I've spent a lot of time on APIs

matatk: There are two things I want to mention: In the TPAC meeting we were in, friday evening, with CSS. They introduced us to 3 proposals from Google to make summaries more accessible

<matatk> Check under "next steps" for the CSS meeting, via our APA TPAC 2023 page: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Meetings/TPAC_2023#CSS

matatk: Happy to hear opinions on that... just post to the list

matatk: Another interesting discussion about focus indicator and the problem with dark modes. Developers forgetting some aspects resulting in not accessbile focus indicatos

matatk: Please everyone have a look at the linked wiki-page. A lot of interessting discussions

matatk: For example, anchor positions, to create accessible floating widgets, menus for example

Paul: Also important with anchor positions, you focus an element but it leaves the DOM, you would have to tab through the page to get back to the position you were. Anchor positions also want to tackle that problem

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/open

matatk: I'm catching up on mine

Task Force & Deliverables Updates

Other Business

janina: We are thinking about changing the ADAPT call

matatk: we are thinking of changing from Monday at 10am Boston to Tuesday at 10am Boston

janina: Typically we take the two weeks at the end of year off. Just a heads up at this point

be done

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 221 (Fri Jul 21 14:01:30 2023 UTC).


Succeeded: s/ATAI/ATIA/

Succeeded: s/e are/we are/

Maybe present: Paul

All speakers: Fredrik, janina, Lionel_Wolberger, matatk, Nichole, Paul, Roy

Active on IRC: Fredrik, IrfanAli, janina, Lionel_Wolberger, matatk, mike_beganyi, Nichole, niklasegger, Roy