APA Weekly Teleconference

05 Jul 2023


Fredrik, janina_, matatk, niklasegger, PaulG

Meeting minutes

<janina_> Meeting APA Weekly Teleconference

<janina_> /join #rqtf

Agenda Review & Announcements

Charter Update https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/33280/apa-wg-recharter/results

janina_: We're working on ensuring that the comment we received was addressed properly.

TPAC 2023 Planning - https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Meetings/TPAC_2023

janina_: Scheduling work continues

matatk: We'd like to encourage everyone (and will support you) in shouting about your work, via breakouts etc. We have a great opportunity to get more mindshare on our work, and maybe new recruits!

New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

Web Editing Working Group Rechartering

- charter: w3c/strategy#417

- issue: w3c/strategy#417

Roy: They have added APA to coordinate WG, and I think you may have more thoughts on this online editing technologies.

janina_: In previous work, we met in Lyon and had a meeting of the minds. We covered issues around how things are exposed in the accessibility tree; need to follow up on that.
… Looks like they're planning additional work, which may need co-ordination with ARIA, RQTF, ...
… CTAUR can provide good input, e.g. for APIs that we'd like to have in future.
… We want to make sure this group is aware of CTAUR.
… Text attributes (e.g. bold, italic, ...) needs to be surfaced too. Captured in RQTF minutes (link pending).
… Want to make sure we can interact with this group, but not sure what the next step is.

PaulG: What's the scope of their work? How does this relate to contenteditable?

janina_: IIRC our issues were more on UA/AT implementation rather than spec in the past. Want to find good ways of doing these things.

janina_: Think we want to ask for liaison, as there's a lot we want to help them co-ordinate.

matatk: I interfaced with some of the stuff mentioned here when working on prototype tools for Adapt TF; interesting to see they may get updates.

matatk: Shall we ask them for info (don't think we have anyone we can send to them regularly).

janina_: Agree, we want to hear from them, what they're working on, and want to co-ordinate. And show them things like CTAUR.

Fredrik: Is there some overlap between what RQTF and Web edits are doing, so they should sit in on RQTF rather than us going to them?

janina_: We should also point them to Adapt, and let them know about CTAUR.
… With recent moves to web-based office, away from native apps, this makes CTAUR more important. Plus RQTF is very active.

matatk: So we point them to CTAUR and maybe something in Adapt (but not sure which) on the GitHub issue, and let them know we'll ask for a meeting at TPC there, too?

janina_: Yes, not sure what we can point to in Adapt, but we need to inform them of the things we're doing generally.

janina_: We need an understanding of their scope and deliverables.

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

CSS Update (Paul) https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues

PaulG: Lots of discussions on low-level APIs last week; animations etc. Nothing specific for us. This week was cancelled due to the holiday.

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/open

Your assigned issues in GitHub: issues/assigned

Allow modal dialogs to trap focus


Comment from Niklas: w3c/a11y-review#138 (comment)

matatk: Think we all agree that whatever we do (with a leaning to allowing access to the URL bar) it should be consistent across <dialog> element and APG.

PaulG: This is important in a kiosk context.

<janina_> +1 to sync APG

niklasegger: There will always be two groups, some prefer accessing it and some not, but the key is communicating what we decide on, and that it's normal and useful behavior.

PaulG: In a kiosk, if you need to escape the modal, the browser is limited, so they don't have standard keyboard shortcuts, maybe not Escape, so you need a natural escape mechanism (i.e. moving to address bar).

matatk: Sounds like we want to comment that <dialog> element is already behaving as we think it should, and we ought to request APG to synch up with it.

janina_: Everyone seems to agree; may need a CfC.

Task Force & Deliverables Updates


janina_: We didn't meet this week, but are eager to show and tell at TPAC. With authoring tool prototypes and maybe hand-outs regarding using different symbol sets. Other things on the drawing board.

Maturity Model

janina_: Close to an updated WD. There will be one before TPAC.


janina_: Looking forward to starting MAUR 2.0. Joining MEIG call next Tuesday.
… Continuing work on CTUAR too.

Other Business

be done

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 210 (Wed Jan 11 19:21:32 2023 UTC).


Maybe present: Roy

All speakers: Fredrik, janina_, matatk, niklasegger, PaulG, Roy

Active on IRC: Fredrik, janina_, matatk, niklasegger, PaulG