Cognitive and Learning Disabilities Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

27 February 2023


EA, Jan, Jennie, julierawe, JustineP, kirkwood
becca, ShawnT
Jennie, lisa

Meeting minutes

Lisa: Where is a good place to store the zakim commands?

Jennie: Maybe we ask Michael to add it to the main IRC page?

Lisa: I think some will need the specifics for COGA meetings

Jennie +1

Lisa: We have an orientation session after this call.

<julierawe> preent+

Lisa: If anyone else wants to join you are welcome to join
… I will probably do another one

<Lisa> close item 8

time of call. Can we move it by half and hour

Lisa: I sent the question to the list, and everyone seemed fine.
… Are you comfortable with moving this call a half hour earlier?

Jennie: +1

<JustineP> I will be able to attend the last 30 minutes if we shift the time

<kirkwood> fine

<kirkwood> +1

Lisa: If you have difficulty, please put it in the IRC or speak out

<EA> It is going to make it 2.30 pm when we Spring forward in UK March 26th

Justine: That's correct, if shifted, I can only attend the last 30 minutes.
… But I am ok with moving if it works for the rest on the call

Lisa: Anyone else?

<EA> May sometimes have a problem if other calls run over

Lisa: OK, EA may also have some difficulties occasionally
… It sounds like it is not completely fine for Justine and EA
… I will ask if there is another solution
… I am assuming we want to keep it at the same time every week - is that correct?

calender - can subgroups use it? https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-cognitive-a11y-tf/2023Jan/0005.html

Lisa: If anyone else has a challenge with the time, please let me know

Lisa: The calendar
… And we were going to have the subgroup chairs update the subgroup meeting on a weekly basis
… I can see that Clear Language has done this
… This is a general reminder

*Jennie: thanks for the reminder! I will make a note to do so going forward

Lisa: Does anyone want help using the calendar or integrating the calendar onto their own?

<Lisa> https://calendar.google.com/calendar/u/0/r?cid=N2U1NThiYjg3ZjAwOWU0YWZiNWUwN2RhZTY2NmQzNWIzNWFhZjQ1ZDk3YmI4Zjk0NmUxYWNkYWNmZjEzYmQ3NEBncm91cC5jYWxlbmRhci5nb29nbGUuY29t

<Lisa> - google.com/calendar/ <https://calendar.google.com/calendar/u/0?cid=N2U1NThiYjg3ZjAwOWU0YWZiNWUwN2RhZTY2NmQzNWIzNWFhZjQ1ZDk3YmI4Zjk0NmUxYWNkYWNmZjEzYmQ3NEBncm91cC5jYWxlbmRhci5nb29nbGUuY29t> - iCal <https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/7e558bb87f009e4afb5e07dae666d35b35aaf45d97bb8f946e1acdacff13bd74%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics>

Julie: I like having the calendar entries - it is really helpful.
… For subgroup meeting, it would be helpful to specify which subgroup is meeting
… This will help determine which you may want to attend.

Lisa: I can edit it. Can others?
… I can change the owner to someone else.
… It might be easier if each subgroup owner changes it for themselves

Julie: What I have done is set a separate invitation that happens at the same time
… This way I can add an agenda, and tailor it
… Maybe that is the best way to do this?
… If I don't get a separate invite, then I could still look

<Jan_> The schedule of the subgroups is linked in the calendar

Jennie: can all subgroup leaders be co-owners of the meeting?

Lisa: I think I can only pick one

Lisa: I can also get rid of the reoccuring event, but I think it is better to have the duplicate

Jan: The link to the subgroup schedule is in the invite to the calendar, and that tells the information

<Lisa> https://calendar.google.com/calendar/u/0/r?cid=N2U1NThiYjg3ZjAwOWU0YWZiNWUwN2RhZTY2NmQzNWIzNWFhZjQ1ZDk3YmI4Zjk0NmUxYWNkYWNmZjEzYmQ3NEBncm91cC5jYWxlbmRhci5nb29nbGUuY29t

Jan: Maybe we need that more noticeable instead of trying to change the invite each week?

<julierawe> +1 to Jan's suggestion :)

Lisa: Maybe I will put the schedule in, as well as the link.
… OK, that is a compromise

Can subgroup chairs send me times for april for 3 months

Lisa: Another announcement for subgroup chairs
… Or those involved and don't want to miss a specific group's meeting
… Please send a list of dates you are not available for April, May, and June
… It makes it easier for people when it is scheduled well ahead of the date
… I will send this to the list as well

Subgroups <https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/Subgroups> and timeline <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JXa94s2lbzJ0v9FHasxxws3CsOcljHHBdlQ2VOxYqAQ/edit#> including what the different groups need to move forward.

Lisa: Quite a lot is happening with the subgroups
… Rashmi is not on the call today - it is difficult for her to join this call
… I think it would be helpful to have someone co-lead with her
… If anyone is interested in mental health and a leadership position there, it would be good to know about
… Rain's subgroup with Kiki - structure review for content
… Rain is not here today and will not be attending for the next month or 2
… Kiki will co-chair I think, not sure
… Clear language

Julie: We are underway with starting to draft the clear language section using WCAG 3's new template
… Jeanne Spellman is guiding us through this process
… We are meeting again this Thursday during the regular Thursday subgroup meeting time

Lisa: Is Jeanne joining you again?
… Those interested in related issues may be interested in joining

Julie: She is joining as a guide for the next 4 meetings
… I have been including on the invites: Jennie, Shawn, and anyone I think might be involved in other COGA section
… of WCAG 3 will be
… Access to help
… Jeanne is providing some interesting insights into the writing process in general
… I sent a summary after last week's meeting
… This may help those that want more information about the approach for writing for WCAG 3

Lisa: Can you CC the list in general?
… I think it is something that is almost general

Julie: One challenge I have is that I tried to share a document with the full list and got a message back
… because no google account was not associated with this

Lisa: Were you sending it from the account that you have registered at the W3C?

<kirkwood> you can generally share it. to all actually (w/o edit access)

Lisa: I have a second account, and I have to send it from the right account

<kirkwood> i can help

<julierawe> Can someone share the google drive link?

<kirkwood> exactly what Jennie said.

Jennie: Coga taskforce shared drive https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1i7L_7aPkmzsZjdLo-9adKbpGpiqaxod3

<Lisa> thanks

Lisa: I am going to remind about the time table - for the test strategy group

jennie: big conversation about kpis, will meet with shawn and will post a summary and direction

Lisa: Research plan and strategy group
… We divided it up
… I had brief emails back and forth with David
… Hopefully he can give a first draft soon to the list
… Aaron - you were going to do a mini literature review
… How is that coming?

Aaron: That is going
… I started a private document, and focused my research on the internet of things and the web of things
… Lisa and I had agreed on 3 categories (those previously stated), and interdevice interfaces like QR codes
… I have started looking into these and can upload it soon into the drive

Lisa: Do you want time on the schedule?

Aaron: I think I need about 2 weeks. Preferably with Lisa first, then with the full group
… and with anyone interested
… My concern is that it can be quite broad
… I want to be sure about the scope before taking the group's time

Lisa: The other question is: in the issue papers, what needs updating?

<Jan_> I can meet with Aaron prior to meeting with the larger group, if that would help.

Lisa: Which ones are up to date?

Aaron: I think the issues are up to date, but the content needs to be updated
… There seems to be a lot of questions around where things are cited from

Lisa: I think having an overview - they all need an update
… Citations and references need to be improved

Aaron: I don't know if that ties into structure review that Rain is working on with Kiki
… I wonder if that is a discussion to tie into their work
… This is about the way we present information
… In addition to citations - this is discussed in some circles, that our content is quite anecdotal
… Thinking about the perspective we are writing from: medical model or social

Lisa: I am writing those down as future agenda items
… Keep an eye on the agenda for the next couple of weeks

Aaron: I will. Thank you

Lisa: Jennie and John - image subgroup

image subgroup:

jennie: spirted and ontrack, but we needed more time. SO we will meet again this friday hopefuly

Lisa: Moving onto requests from other groups, such as about the FAST
… The collaboration tool accessibility

Updates with task requests and actions <https://docs.google.com/document/d/15HtPkkYx1CIl6bAwP2nsSZKhqTVbqcuMDRz5RmtmvXg/edit#> including: research and functional needs


Lisa: I think I need to ask Janina
… for feedback, next steps

Jennie: I think I need to set up a call with Janina

Lisa: and they closed the issue, so they won't see it!

Jennie: OK! Good to know - I will talk to her about that too

Lisa: What was happening with the FAST

Julie: During our Clear Language meeting last week Jeanne shared the current FAST draft
… I shared COGA's feedback on this, which has not yet been incorporated
… Jeanne looked into it, said FAST was dormant, and Michael Cooper said he would get it back on track
… So the feedback we provided has not yet been incorporated yet, but Michael Cooper will start work on it again

Lisa: I don't want them to lose that feedback

Julie: Maybe sending it to Michael so it is top of mind might be a good next step
… With the way WCAG 3 is approaching functional needs they are encouraging groups like us to include the smallest number of functional needs
… I think one question is: if the goal is to limit to the highest level functional needs we may want to think about combining some things
… Example: attention was focus, redirect, maintain
… We may want to make that one functional need for now
… Otherwise if we have a dozen, people may be more likely to skim over long lists

Lisa: I think we did that, Julie
… The WAI is making a list of functional needs, across disability
… The original list was a good first draft attempt
… We worked on getting them improved
… We made a table, and the table was the buckets, like attention
… Then in another column there were all the different things that would fall into the category of attention
… So I think we were doing that.

Lisa: Janina posted a message to the list about the upcoming task force

Julie: Clear language is one of the 1st groups testing out the new templates
… They want us to try to come up with 3 functional needs, or at least the closet number to this as possible
… And that if this doesn't work for this, they want to know
… This is what we are discussing in detail on Thursday
… I looked at what is essential from FAST, and I ended up combining some
… Example: if we combined ability to comprehend language related ones, it makes our list shorter
… The idea is how can we package these things in like a quick summary without overwhelming them with a long list
… Knowing we can give them more details later in the document

<EA> +1 to combining but understanding that the links to more detail needs to be noted clearly.

Lisa: (displayed the COGA doc Functional needs for cognitive)
… (reviewed what we had in column 3)

Julie: This is what we will be getting into on Thursday
… What do we think is the minimum number
… I think this is an important debate
… Looking at the way FAST is currently laid out, and how they are trying to map the needs. It is a big question

Lisa: support for language and communication skills? Or something like that
… There may be primary ones, and secondary ones
… To clarify, that is not the group working on FAST
… Our feedback for FAST is fine, it is just what is asked for WCAG 3
… I have a call with Rachael - I will try to get more feedback

Lisa: The assertions survey - do we need to talk about this?

Julie: No. Jeanne said we need to provide that feedback as part of the overall information

Lisa: OK.
… Do we have an update from AG - anything we need to do for them?
… Rachael is not on the call
… Reminder: we are talking about moving the call a half hour earlier
… Can people - if those that joined late
… Is it a problem if the call moves a half hour earlier?

Katy: That is fine for me

Aaron: It would be a bit hard for me until May, then ok

Lisa: Is there any urgent that anyone needs to bring up?

Jennie: on the IAAP list there was a question about involvement with a cognitive accessibility and architecture workshop
… I gave her Lisa's email address and the COGA main page

Lisa: If anyone is interested in being involved in the mental health subgroup - please let me know

Jan: I am open to it
… Do we need to connect with Rashmi?

Lisa: Yes, just connect with Rashmi
… There meeting is in 2 weeks
… They may need a mid-week call at some point

<JustineP> I was going to say that my bandwidth is limited right now, as much as I'd love to help facilitate.


Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 210 (Wed Jan 11 19:21:32 2023 UTC).


Maybe present: *Jennie, Aaron, Julie, Justine, Katy, Lisa

All speakers: *Jennie, Aaron, Jan, Jennie, Julie, Justine, Katy, Lisa

Active on IRC: EA, Jan_, Jennie, julierawe, JustineP, kirkwood, Lisa, ShawnT