Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

11 January 2023


Fredrik, Gottfried, janina, Lionel_Wolberger, matatk, PaulG, Roy
Mike, Nadine, Niklas
janina, janina:

Meeting minutes

Agenda Review & Announcements

janina: Notes that our Zoom coordinates will be changing before June 30, probably March/April

<matatk> Call for implementations Symbols - https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wai-announce/2023JanMar/0000.html

matatk: We need content markup as well as user agent support for that markup--i.e. extensions

matatk: Notes outreach to AAC organizations was most encouraging

janina: Notes we have a Firefox plugin from 2019

CfC Elevating Maturity Model to Task Force https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/task-forces/maturity-model/work-statement

matatk: Looking for any comments on the proposed WS before we CfC

janina: Notes its short and to the point

matatk: Agree, any objections to CfC?

Lionel_Wolberger: Notes its different from many W3C docs, it's policy focussed, not engineering specs

matatk: Q is whether to change the WS or make the clear purpose statement in the work output itself

matatk: Questions I get is how is this different from other MM

matatk: We need some statement of how this is unique and needed

matatk: We can note this concern in the CfC and address appropriately where it is best to address the concern

APA Rechartering Begins https://raw.githack.com/w3c/apa/charter-2023/charter.html

<matatk> Here it is in GitHub: https://github.com/w3c/apa/blob/charter-2023/charter.html

matatk: We need all TFs to show their deliverables there

matatk: We may need to be more explicit on external organizations to say "as needed:" one formerly listed no longer exists!

janina: Notes a desire to CfC by/on 1 February

New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

Web Payment Security Interest Group Charter

<Roy> - charter: https://www.w3.org/securepay/charter

<Roy> - tracking: https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues/365

<Roy> https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues/365

Lionel: Will turn around today

A11y Review Comment Tracker https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

New on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

Web Locks API

<Roy> - tracker: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Web_Locks_API

<Roy> - FPWD: https://www.w3.org/TR/web-locks/

matatk: Agrees low level

Paul: Checking whether user needs to agree to something ...

Paul: So question of permissions

gottfried: just the api to acquire a lock, it'd be up to the ua to communicate with the user on permissions

lionel: agree

matatk: Sec 1.2 very short and should inform our decision

paul: last section draws boundaries; Sec 6.4 -- should check

paul: will do for next

ACTION: matatk: to review https://www.w3.org/TR/web-locks/

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2340 - Review https://www.w3.org/tr/web-locks/ [on Matthew Atkinson - due 2023-01-18].

ACTION: paul to review https://www.w3.org/TR/web-locks/

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2341 - Review https://www.w3.org/tr/web-locks/ [on Paul Grenier - due 2023-01-18].

CSS Update (Paul) https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues

<PaulG> https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/8279

paul: conformant use of text transforms; don't have opinion on change--it's subtle

matatk: Believe CSS has scope to use either term

matatk: Believe the second is clearer for author

<PaulG> https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/6719

paul: pseudo element new feature for ua; elements not created by author to hold references

paul: I've seen this be problematic

Paul: This would help solve; whether it's ready yet -- not sure

matatk: also unsure about active descendent; need to think on it

matatk: concerned some ua libs encourage label element after form control

paul: this should help

<PaulG> https://a11yform.glitch.me (example)

matatk: what about descript or a11yname coming from multiple sources?

matatk: would it match the first? All?

paul: that's the refining that needs to happen

paul: question now is should CSS move forward with work on this

lionel: new elements less clear than what we already know; need to be cleared --

lionel: how did we get pseudo anyway?

paul: probably closest to ::input

<PaulG> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/Pseudo-elements

paul: could bring labl into the forefront and grab more attention

paul: css has been adding mark, marker, etc; so are extending css in this direction

Lionel_Wolberger: expect these to grow

Lionel_Wolberger: pseudo means not defined by author but by browser; e.g. derived

matatk: i like the distinction; i rememger when it didn't exist

matatk: human endeavor seems littered with mislabeled things (though I think pseudo-elements are named quite well)

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/open

Fredrik: wondering whether other devices, i.e. brl keyboards should be covered; also sip/puff

Fredrik: believe this should be raised, though we may not be the ones to define the solution

janina: recalls this different from previous discussions of key-up/key-down, click vs enter

Fredrik: also not able to engineer re sip/puff

Fredrik: and should we go as far as speech input

Fredrik: what's the end of keyboard?

matatk: this defines the kybd api; so the mappings

Fredrik: brl is also mapping

matatk: believe these are generated single char

matatk: suggest looking at parent spec and its A11y Considerations section; also i18n

matatk: hmm, no i18n; so probably too low level here

<PaulG> I need to drop

matatk: understanding no concerns as written; only whether scope should be broader?

matatk: we can follow up on a11y cons

Summary of action items

  1. matatk: to review https://www.w3.org/TR/web-locks/
  2. paul to review https://www.w3.org/TR/web-locks/
Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 197 (Tue Nov 8 15:42:48 2022 UTC).


Succeeded: s/with mislabeled things/with mislabeled things (though I think pseudo-elements are named quite well)/

Maybe present: Lionel, Paul

All speakers: Fredrik, gottfried, janina, Lionel, Lionel_Wolberger, matatk, Paul

Active on IRC: Fredrik, Gottfried, janina, Lionel_Wolberger, matatk, PaulG, Roy