Cognitive and Learning Disabilities Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

29 September 2022


aaronchu, Becca_Monteleone, Jennie, julierawe, kirkwood, Lisa, Rachael, rashmi, Roy, ShawnT
Becca, Becca_Monteleone

Meeting minutes

<Lisa> zakim next item

Updates with task requests and actions <https://docs.google.com/document/d/15HtPkkYx1CIl6bAwP2nsSZKhqTVbqcuMDRz5RmtmvXg/edit#>

<kirkwood> sorry can’t scribe today

<Lisa> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/Scribe_list

Thank you!

<Jennie> * Thanks Rachael! Never knew that.

<Lisa> https://docs.google.com/document/d/15HtPkkYx1CIl6bAwP2nsSZKhqTVbqcuMDRz5RmtmvXg/edit#

rashmi: mental health subgroup has revieweed 59 papers. Moving to anaylsis phase next month.

<Lisa> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/Subgroups

Lisa: Structure subgroup moving ahead with anaylsis. Completed survey. Interpreting results now.

julierawe: Clear language subgroup is waiting on feedback from TPAC.

Jennie: Test Plan and Strategy subgroup reviewed TPAC information and made plan to start doing a micro-level look to build up test plans. Implementing TPAC conversations.

<Jennie> * November 24 is American Thanksgiving so Test Plan meeting needs to be rescheduled.

Lisa: Research Plan subgroup has draft of survey and research plan. Hoping to recruit new people to assist with research updates.

Jennie: Images subgroup. Meeting rescheduled from 9/30 to 10/7

<Lisa> https://docs.google.com/document/d/15HtPkkYx1CIl6bAwP2nsSZKhqTVbqcuMDRz5RmtmvXg/edit#heading=h.rei1woruiqke

<kirkwood> Got it, Jennie, thanks

Lisa: request from APA on collaboration tool accessibility

Jennie: created a document with feedback to discuss today

Lisa: request from APA on verifiable credentials - Lisa will follow up.

<julierawe> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1m1piIXXGPtQeRNjYpch3MMgFP1uy3GBA0XbgLUqw8tw/edit#

Lisa: EO made a list of scripts and requested feedback. Julie sent initial feedback. Received feedback from EO. Julie shared document with COGA for comments

julierawe: COGA comment only on document. Use suggestion mode only. Six questions from EO that require responses from COGA. Respond by October 6 at the latest

julierawe: EO will be sending additional survey about Abilities and Barriers section of series. COGA needs to respond to section on cognitive and learning disabilities. Survey should go out from EO by October 6.

krisanne_: EO will try to share cognitive and learning disabilities script with COGA in advance of survey.

krisanne_: aim to have all scripts done by end of October for production company.

krisanne_: scripts more urgent than text-only pages on the WAI sites due to end of the year deadline

<kirkwood> do we still have a child as one of the scripts?

Lisa and Julie will meet Monday to discuss script feedback

<kirkwood> I can do Monday, would be interested.

<Lisa> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1m1piIXXGPtQeRNjYpch3MMgFP1uy3GBA0XbgLUqw8tw/edit#heading=h.28ogb5r862l3

Comments can be made directly on link if you can not join on Monday

<kirkwood> yes

krisanne_: next round of scripts are not about individual personas, but about abilities, barriers, and tools

Lisa: Rain working on APA request on remote meeting.

<Rachael> https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/subgroups-2022-06/?login

<Rachael> https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/subgroups-2022-06

Rachael: AG starting next round of subgroups. Will have subgroup writing out testing methods. Another subgroup on issue severity. If interested in joining, fill out survey linked above.

Rachael: AG discussing conformance. Silver discussing outcomes.

Lisa: COGA should have representative in each subgroup.

<Rachael> Yes, Shawn was in the previous issues severity group and is signed up for the next one as well.

aaronchu: has reviewed all but one of assigned mental health paper.

aaronchu: there is a google doc with research used in Content Usable. Shawn has documented as spreadsheet. Would like to develop interactive document that is searchable and links citations to different areas of Content Usable

Jennie: Want centralized spreadsheet that is sortable and uses one method to make it clear how research is linked to trends in Content Usable

Jennie: Met before TPAC to discuss collaborative tool accessibility. Will plan to reengage with Michael soon for next steps

subgroup schedule at https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/Subgroups

Lisa: Redoing subgroup schedule based on feedback today. Please let Lisa know about any issues with schedule as soon as possible so she can update

<Lisa> close item 2

Any more updates from TPAC?

Jennie: Will there be a COGA representative in community group looking at overlays?

Jennie: the concept of personalization is important to COGA stakeholder group, continuing to advocate for those elements to be built into HTML vs. 3rd party add-on is important. 3rd party may not be best for COGA stakeholders. Should push for integration.

Jennie: Many people with cognitive disabilities don't have access to assistive technology in all the places they use the internet.

Jennie: happy to contribute as advisor rather than as COGA representative

Lisa: this is a new community group addressing the use of overlays for accessibility rather than making the page accessible itself

<kirkwood> a proprietary method of giving access.

kirkwood: overlays bridge the gap before full standards-based accessibility, but it is proprietary. This area is messy with a lot of rapid changes.

<aaronchu> where can I find more info about the overlays?

<Jennie> *Aaron - I can share some with you. Can you email me and I will send some examples and information?

Lisa: COGA should also connect with children's community group. Will speak to Michael to make sure we are not conflicting or contradicting each other.

<kirkwood> could overlay present to us every once in a while?

Send out survey for research papers and sort out sending it out. See research documents survey <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc4ugu4iWRlEQ84-NWJmaiwtVWkXD1mhdCxB6MMy8N_mT56Bg/formResponse

<aaronchu> thank you Jennie

Lisa: Are people happy with research survey?

<Lisa> can we send it out

<Lisa> +1

<Jennie> 0 (apologies, didn't have time to review)

<julierawe> +1

<kirkwood> do we have results of survey?


<Lisa> any objections?

<Lisa> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xXjHPCfWm00iAJqmjdwFq_RQ80vKwwxFAoiEGI3NOlM/edit#gid=1485617472

<kirkwood> +1

Lisa: track dissemination of survey in spreadsheet

Lisa: ask everyone to add at least 1 contact to share survey

<kirkwood> Should we all post on LinkedIN?

krisanne_: will add to education and outreach page this week

Lisa: tentative deadline for end of November?

Jennie: will put in October newsletter. Do not expect much engagement bast mid-november.


julierawe: Add deadline into survey so people know how long they have to respond

<julierawe> Ha, no worries Kris Anne—great minds think alike!

Recruiting see <https://docs.google.com/document/d/15HtPkkYx1CIl6bAwP2nsSZKhqTVbqcuMDRz5RmtmvXg/edit#>

Jennie: will send introduction to collaborative tool to list to discuss next week

I am not able to join the subgroup meeting today - apologies!

<aaronchu> Sorry everyone, I am going to drop. Thanks everyone.

<Lisa> https://docs.google.com/document/d/15HtPkkYx1CIl6bAwP2nsSZKhqTVbqcuMDRz5RmtmvXg/edit#

<Lisa> Initial exploratory draft created, feedback requested from some stakeholders (EG silver, rules WG) Plan to get to working draft (phase 1) ? other group ?/ KPI: At least 10 patterns have edge cases drafted and Discussed in examples and inapplicable examples (ideally for all the pattern

test plan

<Lisa> sure

<ShawnT> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15kHdhq_KaIgbxdNPEA0ceNZ-tMs6aAe4m_vOitEM3HY/edit#gid=0

<Jennie> For testing subgroup: review this document https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NWVnnQOj1nQURNsM8lqn20tB4tHji-7Zqiy2AZNX-6M/edit#

<Jennie> Task 1 is listed in the document. For start listing different tests that could be completed for the use and avoid section.

<ShawnT> https://www.w3.org/TR/coga-usable/#examples-45

<julierawe> I have to leave now—thanks for the interesting discussion!

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 192 (Tue Jun 28 16:55:30 2022 UTC).


Maybe present: krisanne_