Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

02 June 2022


Addison, Atsushi, Bert, JcK, xfq_
Felix, Richard
Addison Phillips

Meeting minutes

Agenda Review

Action Items

<addison> https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open


<trackbot> action-1152: Addison Phillips to Set up tpac calls for tue/thurs at usual times and corresponding wiki pages -- due 2022-05-26 -- OPEN

addison: Working on wiki pages.


<trackbot> action-1153: John Klensin to Review wot-discovery and our comment #1522 for service name restrictions in iana -- due 2022-05-26 -- OPEN

JcK: Goose chase led to RFC 6635 about service names, "ldh", letters, case-insens, hyphen, digits.
… So will reject. Serious arguments about protocol arguments, but will probably lead to nothing.

addison: We should probably go to WoT and say that the state of the world is LDH tokens.

JcK: Might also mention that there is a 15-char restriction.

addison: So action-1153 is done.

ACTION: addison: update wot-discovery our #1522

<trackbot> Created ACTION-1156 - Update wot-discovery our #1522 [on Addison Phillips - due 2022-06-09].

JcK: I can find the exact RFC references.


<trackbot> action-1154: Fuqiao Xue to Look into unicode support in ecma-262 as referenced by wot-description -- due 2022-06-02 -- OPEN

xfq_: Did some research. About regular expressions.
… Can set a U-flag on regex to allow Unicode support. Affects negated character classes, e.g.
… Also affects character class escapes, such as what is whitespace.
… A few things I don't know if they are a problem:
… The I-flag is for case-insensitive.
… With I + U, all chars are case-folded according to simple Unicode case folding.
… Regex cannot match a grapheme cluster, only a code point. E.g., a single "." matches a code point, such as a combining mark.

<xfq_> https://w3c.github.io/wot-thing-description/#stringschema

addison: We can look at it more deeply in terms of recommendations to spec writers.

addison: let's close action-1154. I don't expect we will make more comments.


<trackbot> action-1155: Addison Phillips to Make review of manifest document (add link) homework -- due 2022-06-02 -- OPEN

Info Share

addison: My email address will change next week.

RADAR Review

<addison> https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

addison: CSS Color 5, who wants an easy review?

atsushi: I think I can do that one.

addison: WebXR AR module 1?

atsushi: I raised the issue and I can do it.

addison: WoT arch?

xfq_: Done

request to make 'jlreq-d' repository for so-called JDLreq note

<addison> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2022May/0012.html

atsushi: I reported about next edition from jlreq task force. The TF decided to have a new document.
… Still discussiong the title.
… But would already like to have a new repository.
… The -d refers to "digital".

addison: So developed in parallel to jlreq?

atsushi: Yes.

addison: Wondering about the name...

atsushi: The d was originally digital age, but some members thought there could be more meaning to it.
… Still wondering about the longer, full title.

addison: Maybe choose a better shortname that is more helpful than just "d".

ACTION: atsushi: create jlreq-d repo

<trackbot> Created ACTION-1157 - Create jlreq-d repo [on Atsushi Shimono - due 2022-06-09].

Manifest translations (review)

<addison> https://github.com/WICG/manifest-incubations/blob/gh-pages/translations-explainer.md

<addison> https://www.w3.org/TR/localizable-manifests/#common-approaches

addison: About translating manifests in webapps. It has a number of flaws.

<xfq_> W3C

<xfq_> Developing Localizable Manifests

addison: They are adding a block to add translations for specific items, but I think it can't work. It means the translations have to match the order and count of items, because there is no link between them.
… And JSON libraries can reorder the JSON and break the translations.

<xfq_> https://github.com/w3c/manifest/issues/968#issuecomment-1138004703

xfq_: I looked at it and my original issue was about language and direction metadata.

addison: This document ignores that issue.

ACTION: addison: create issues against WICG/manifest-incubations in our repo for review

<trackbot> Created ACTION-1158 - Create issues against wicg/manifest-incubations in our repo for review [on Addison Phillips - due 2022-06-09].

addison: I'll make some issues for us to discuss next week.
… And send them an email.

<addison> https://github.com/w3c/editing/issues/278

xfq_: I added the i18n-tracker label. I don't know which spec this belongs to.
… But it seems i18n-related.

addison: Word boundaries.
… Reasonable that we track it. Not sure if we take any action.



xfq_: About WebGPU

<xfq_> https://github.com/gpuweb/gpuweb/issues/2780#issuecomment-1141227619

xfq_: Issue about direction metadata for messages.
… They decided to add lang & dir to all returned strings.
… If there is no translation, it will return English.
… And it could mention that the translation is missing.
… It is not in spec yet.

addison: Is it written that the default language is English?
… Could be "an appropriate default".

atsushi: Some specific implementations could use only one language.

<xfq_> https://w3c.github.io/bp-i18n-specdev/#l10n_api_lang_defaulting

atsushi: A Russian browser might only have russian, e.g.

xfq_: ^^ is our current guidance.

xfq_: I will reply to them.

Bert: regrets from me for next 2 weeks.

Summary of action items

  1. addison: update wot-discovery our #1522
  2. atsushi: create jlreq-d repo
  3. addison: create issues against WICG/manifest-incubations in our repo for review
Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 185 (Thu Dec 2 18:51:55 2021 UTC).


Succeeded: s/direction metadata/language and direction metadata/

Succeeded: s/do/we/

Succeeded: s/out/our/

Succeeded: s/also/only/

No scribenick or scribe found. Guessed: Bert