Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

20 April 2022


becky, david-swallow, Fazio, Fredrik, Gottfried, iali, janina, Jonny_James, Matthew_Atkinson, MichaelC, mike_beganyi, PaulG, Roy

Meeting minutes


Agenda Review & Announcements

New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

MichaelC: no new charters this week

A11y Review Comment Tracker https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

MichaelC: WebXR Device API which Fredrik took on review of

MichaelC: can discuss SVG Native

Matthew_Atkinson: should it be a "should" requirement to expose title in description or a "must"

Gottfried: we want to provide alt text, so "must" is appropriate

Matthew_Atkinson: renderers that don't expose alt are prevalent, so not sure we can dictate it's a "must". doesn't compare to other rendering formats

Matthew_Atkinson: Paul made a comment that we should make it a "should" because we cannot reasonably expect at the operating system level

janina: we can try to have impact and maybe negotiate to "should"

Gottfried: stop the deprecation of title and description from SVG. Agree with Mat that we don't have the say-so at the OS level. we have doors here but we can't push through them

Matthew_Atkinson: should we leave the comment as is and put CFC on it for discussion?

janina: I'm fine with all approaches

<Zakim> Gottfried, you wanted to ask whether it could be a conditional "must"

<Gottfried> ack

Gottfried: if it applies to accessibility API, then it must apply. a conditional must if a prerequisite is met

Matthew_Atkinson: Gottfried, are you happy with comment as is or should we include conditional must?

Gottfried: if we start with low requirement, it will move lower. like the idea of asking for a stronger requirement

Matthew_Atkinson: is conditional must sufficiently high?

Gottfried: yes

Matthew_Atkinson: janina, can I re-draft suggestion then re-send?

janina: yes

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Fonts_for_the_Web:_Rationale,_1996

MichaelC: fonts for the web rationale 1996. a note publication of a document. it's being published. W3C winning an emmy for it. historical note. short and interesting read

MichaelC: three web assembly specs we might dispose of. for the core spec, review exercise but no comments. Javascript interface we decided we didn't need to review it, same with Web API.

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/WebAssembly_Core_Specification_Version_2.0

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/WebAssembly_JavaScript_Interface_Version_2.0

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/WebAssembly_Web_API_Version_2.0

janina: debated whether we needed to worry or not. not sure we can trace any problems to anything in compiled web content. less worried than 1.0

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/WebXR_Hand_Input_Module_-_Level_1

MichaelC: Web XR Hand Input Module: not new to TR but just picked it up. looking through. had comments on other Web XR specs

MichaelC: suspicion that it is not necessary to review

Gottfried: student who wrote thesis on input without hand gestures. can share link

<Gottfried> Fiona Heilemann. (2021). Accessible hands-free input methods for a serious VR game: Development and evaluation. Hochschule der Medien Stuttgart. https://hdms.bsz-bw.de/frontdoor/index/index/start/0/rows/10/sortfield/score/sortorder/desc/searchtype/simple/query/heilemann/docId/6641

Matthew_Atkinson: will take a look at this and review it

<Gottfried> Short video on YouTube: https://youtu.be/P0jU5TW6iXc

janina: can ask anyone at W3C for assistance in reviewing.

janina: this is first public working draft or early on?

MichaelC: FPWD was about 2 years ago but it's reviewed every 6 months

janina: timely to review as CR may be coming up

Matthew_Atkinson: will officially review but ask Kim if possible to review as well

MichaelC: two Web of Things comments to discuss. separate item later

Web of Things - middleware concept update

janina: we came up with term which serves our needs: "middleware"

janina: our use case suggests that it's not enough whether it's indicated that something is controllable via an app, but there's software in-between that needs to be accessible

janina: only after purchasing a lamp and finding it's controlled by an app that is inaccessible is important to expose. started calling that particular software as "middleware"

janina: 2 things. if anyone knows how this software is specified or exposed; and a need to write an e-mail if not

Matthew_Atkinson: not sure if middleware is correct, but it feels right based on description

janina: if they've even thought of naming such software at all. ran into this before with HTML5 with "alternative"

janina: so we invented the term "primary media resource"

MichaelC: if there's a question just go ahead and pose it. they'll probably answer quickly and we can move forward

MichaelC: I'll update them on our status

FAST and Maturity Model Deliverables Update

Matthew_Atkinson: FAST update is that there isn't any update beyond Josh being invited as an expert

janina: Josh is back in APA

Matthew_Atkinson: maturity model. we are running short on time.

janina: maturity model meets in the next hour. subset of RQTF, and that's where maturity model e-mails go

Fazio: APA and RQTF, get back into things, GitHub, making updates as we speak

Task Force & Deliverables Updates

Matthew_Atkinson: Personalization and COGA did not meet


<Fazio> also trauma triggers

PaulG: guests from Accessibility for Children Community Group, use case discussion we had not included, as well as ongoing guidance. make use case for certain spects of pronunciation are important for children in an environment where they are learning a second language. has pointed out some gaps in SSML, moving it to the web but still in that process

janina: not just an accessibility use case. It has massive implications beyond that, think of newcomers to different countries for example. Will talk to the task force responsible for language codes.

PaulG: SSML has a variant for voice, which is a positive integer targeted to a system. If it's a match it'll find the variant. Preserve the author's intentions

Fazio: Downs Syndrome has been changed from a severe cognitive disability to a mild one due to AAC and other devices. this work is important to provide a richer experience on the web


janina: SAUR is out, messaging has gone out. remote meetings draft is about to go out for second wide review. working on messaging. group agreed this morning that we needed to write AUR for collaborative tools

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/open

Matthew_Atkinson: on-screen keyboard review with Becky. I'm aware of issues and review it within the next week

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 185 (Thu Dec 2 18:51:55 2021 UTC).