Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

23 March 2022


becky, David-Swallow, Fredrik, irfan, janina, Joshue108, Lionel_Wolberger, Matthew_Atkinson, mike_beganyi, Roy

Meeting minutes

Agenda Review & Announcements

Matthew_Atkinson: calls out email cross posted from RQTF - draft document circulated for review by APA about ethics in machine learning; will be review meetings week of April 4. Is a google doc, contact Matthew for a different format

janina: suspect there will be issues we want to make sure are covered; there will also be APIs related to this. I see this as an ongoing issues

<janina> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa-admin/2022Mar/0004.html

janina: Open CFC on the COGA work statement, expires midnight Boston time tonight

janina: US is now fixed at -4 UTC, Europe has not adjusted yet so still some time differences

<Zakim> kevin_, you wanted to ask how significant the funding gap is that requires a separate partner and ask how we maintain a balance in member influence with some mebers being on the board

<Zakim> EricSiow, you wanted to react to dsinger to respond

<Zakim> Judy, you wanted to briefly clarify the current system for external funding that only aligns with W3C membership goals and why that has been important and (imo) should continue to be so

New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

<MichaelC> https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues/279

<MichaelC> https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues/w3c.github.io/vc-wg-charter/

MichaelC: verifiable credentials - Lionel was going to look at that

Lionel: no progress due to CSUN

<MichaelC> https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues/304

<MichaelC> https://w3c.github.io/rdf-star-wg-charter/

MichaelC: RDF* working group - out growth of community group to extend RDF to provide a concise way to make statements about statements; not clear why that is needed. Believe it is out of our scope

MichaelC: group agrees to sign off on this item

A11y Review Comment Tracker https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

<MichaelC> https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/7732

<MichaelC> https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/7707

<MichaelC> https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/7708

MichaelC: 3 HTML issues raised to our attention; consider preventing page scroll when modal dialog is visible; clarify keyboard behavior for dialogs, address dialogs with large blocks of text

Janina: these make sense for APA to track

MichaelC: SVG native and a11y apis - still open (due to CSUN distractions)

<Lionel_Wolberger> present?

MichaelC: waiting for follow up from ARIA group

<MichaelC> https://github.com/w3c/imsc-hrm/pull/41

<MichaelC> https://github.com/w3c/imsc-hrm/pull/41/files

MichaelC: add user customization section for imsc; updated the accessibility considerations sections; contains its original paragraph and user customization;

MichaelC: group agrees to close/sign off on the imsc one

New on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/TR/autoplay-detection/

MichaelC: autoplay policy detection - provide web devs. to determine if auto play is allowed in different situations; short spec; can't tell if it defines the policy or if read an existing policy

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/TR/fingerprinting-guidance/

Matthew_Atkinson: doesn't seem to have reason for autoplay but just determining policy for it; might have fingerprinting issues

Janina: would formally object to allowing authors to override overplay - I can review and look for that; on the positive side, allowing further user agent control of autoplay (vs. the content author)

janina: is good

ACTION: janina to review autoplay detection (https://www.w3.org/TR/autoplay-detection/) due 22/04/06

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2318 - Review autoplay detection (https://www.w3.org/tr/autoplay-detection/) due 22/04/06 [on Janina Sajka - due 2022-03-30].

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/TR/media-source-2/

MichaelC: skipping CSS ones that are not new to us

MichaelC: media source trademark - extend media to support more use cases

janina: suspect many WCAG concerns

MichaelC: this is from the media working group

ACTION: janina to review media source (https://www.w3.org/TR/media-source-2/) 22/04/06

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2319 - Review media source (https://www.w3.org/tr/media-source-2/) 22/04/06 [on Janina Sajka - due 2022-03-30].

Matthew_Atkinson: I can review from a color contrast / graphical elements perspective

MichaelC: we have some Web of things and CSS stuff that is dangling but have reviewed the new ones

Dangling Spec Review Cleanup: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Category:Spec_Review_Assigned

MichaelC: there are a few WebXR ones we wanted to further discuss at end of March 2022

MichaelC: Joshue108 did a review in Sept. and we never discussed

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Web_of_Things_(WoT)_Discovery

Joshue108: will come next week prepared to dicuss

MichaelC: Web of Things discovery - Paul was going to review

MichaelC: doesn't seem to be urgent;

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/VISS_version_2_-_Core

MichaelC: VISS version 2 core - vehicle information service specification

Lionel_Wolberger: thought I handed off the vehicle stuff to Frederik?

MichaelC: will move to Fredrik

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Internationalization_Glossary

MichaelC: i18n glossary - assigned to Lionel

Lionel_Wolberger: will work to get that done for next week

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/open

MichaelC: probably not useful because we use tracker

janina: not clear we have a replacement

Matthew_Atkinson: we were going to consider using the wiki; will take it up with chairs and bring a proposal to the group

CSUN Review

Matthew_Atkinson: I met colleagues and friends in person that I have worked with for a while; also met some W3C colleagues; lots going on with XR and collaboration with W3C; many comments about how nice to meet in "3D"!

Matthew_Atkinson: accessible escape room was great!

Lionel_Wolberger: yes, agree with Matthew's comments, AGWG was great; spoke with Brad from Sorenson; he educated me about the Deaf community; captions are not a substitute for Deaf - there is a lack of literacy, that is why ASL is so important; also learned about braille literacy as well.

janina: RQTF regularly has ASL and have regular participation from a Deaf professor from Gallaudet

Lionel_Wolberger: lip reading is not usable unless you have previously had hearing

general discussion about how much fun karaoke was at CSUN!

janina: I think you might have seen multi-line braille displays at CSUN? I think they are coming to the market soon

Matthew_Atkinson: another technology is emerging for braille displays will discuss with those interesed offline. Called the Orbit display in US

Matthew_Atkinson: also work going on relating to accessible tactile books

Task Force & Deliverables Updates

FAST and Maturity Model Deliverables Update

Joshue108: no updates about FAST but did meet with AGWG recently and did workshop sessions on outcomes and guidance;

Task Force & Deliverables Updates


Matthew_Atkinson: lots of interaction with EO

Lionel_Wolberger: went through process with EO for suggesting for naming; they came up with suggestion of ADAPT; New suggestion was APT

Matthew_Atkinson: no update from COGA - they did not meet



janina: new CfC from RQTF early April for Synchronization A11y user requirements (SAUR); a second review of online meetings also coming soon

janina: will also be involved in reviewing ethics of Machine learning as discussed in the beginning of the meeting

Summary of action items

  1. janina to review autoplay detection (https://www.w3.org/TR/autoplay-detection/) due 22/04/06
  2. janina to review media source (https://www.w3.org/TR/media-source-2/) 22/04/06
Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 185 (Thu Dec 2 18:51:55 2021 UTC).


Succeeded: s/topic/subtopic

Maybe present: Lionel, MichaelC