Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

09 February 2022


becky, david-swallow, Irfan_, janina, Jonny_James, Joshue108, Lionel_Wolberger, Matthew_Atkinson, MichaelC, mike_beganyi
David, Lionel

Meeting minutes

zakin, next item

Agenda Review & Announcements

janina: brief reminder that TPAC planning has begun. tentative dates are 12-16 September in Vancouver, British Columbia.

janina: hybrid meetings, a lot of planning meetings

Matthew_Atkinson: David Swallow on the call. need to do introductions.

all: introductions

New Telecon Time Effective Next Week!

janina: starting next week, this meeting will move back two hours. same day, just two hours earlier.

MichaelC: will update page

Task Force & Deliverables Updates


<janina> term: heteronym

Irfan_: swapping time with APA. deliverables to share with ARIA working group, especially renders. updating gap analysis document with more use cases. decision made ot create a poll with properties and prioritizing the properties and going to ARIA.


janina: continuing on various deliverables, nothing ready for CFC yet. SAUR focused on hyperlinks if we want to point to something, keeping things in their proper place.


Matthew_Atkinson: making progress towards resolving one blocking issue with i18n. about display of symbols in right-to-left languages. progress is being made. our demonstration/rendering is getting close to completion. still needs some tweaking. can send to other i18n chairs for review. only thing blocking CR

Matthew_Atkinson: feedback from AGWG to suggest we write one technique that would use personalization's attributes to help people implement and facilitate understanding.

FAST and Maturity Model Deliverables Update

janina: no news on maturity models since last week. proposal to APA without objection. should consider whether there are objections. not today, but soon.

Joshue108: discussing getting something ready to show. two documents we're working on. one is a matrix, one is a main outcomes document (taxonomy). now looking at finalizing. help validate approach for our work. hoping to have something to show in early March. something to show APA at the beginning but then AGWG later on.

MichaelC: might show APA and AGWG at the same time. might be APA that has more of a directive on it at the moment. draft published to TR.

janina: APA, then TR, then AGWG, then we can update the working draft

MichaelC: we need to publish the FPWD (first public working draft). FAST may be better for note track first.

New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

MichaelC: no new charters that are new to us. some sitting there for bureaucratic purposes but no further action at the moment

A11y Review Comment Tracker https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

MichaelC: no activity in the tracker this week

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

MichaelC: nothing new on TR that's relevant to us. lots of registrations but they're there for web codex registrations.

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/open

janina: any actions to report on? mine is holding for Roy's return

Web of Things (WoT) "Middleware" Update -- Josh, Janina

janina: Josh and I need to find our last interaction with Web of Things

Joshue108: a "middleware" type of software that does technical mediation that can support people with disabilities. something here that needs to support user needs. profiling, sensory aware networks, etc. application (mobile app, etc.) can sit on top of a network and do some useful things for people with disabilities

Joshue108: app is front-end, however my conception of "middleware" is somewhat lower-level. need to get on the same page about definition.

janina: expound on use case. what I see all the time is "supported". the omission is there's an app in-between. it may be one, or many, companies with involvement.

janina: some things that claim support are not available. how do you know in advance that the app is accessible?

janina: other apps that claim support but it is not clear. "could" be supported is not sufficient

Joshue108: question is what to do at the moment

janina: look through and find our last interaction with them (remembering TPAC 2020). we shared comments in a document. was anything pulled out of that document? pushing us for cases.

janina: now we have accessibility use cases

Joshue108: we looked at the sensor stuff, home security systems, etc. variations of use cases. I'll follow-up with you Janina and we'll connect about this

<Matthew_Atkinson> Fredrik's email to the list on Matter: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2022Feb/0004.html

Fredrik: seems that people are sitting around and talking about this and we need to connect with them. will send an e-mail to the list.

Matthew_Atkinson: put a link to the e-mail above

Dangling Spec Review Cleanup: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Category:Spec_Review_Assigned

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/WebRTC_Encoded_Transform

MichaelC: web RTC swamped with deliverables. is there anything for them to work on?

janina: did you cover everything in HTML and in our AUR, my only question

janina: I don't recall what we would be looking for in an API

MichaelC: inclined to say let's close this then.

janina: same response with 4 of us that we can let it go

Matthew_Atkinson: seeing the spec, it mentions funny hats, virtual reality gaming, etc.

janina: it needs to mention our RTC accessibility user requirements

Matthew_Atkinson: sounds like it's lower-level. happy to defer to that

janina: would like to be able to send content separately to a Braille display and a screen reader

Joshue108: parallel conversation about attributes

janina: what may have happened is that no confirmation was sent that we're done working on this and need input

janina: need to send that over. how far away from a spec are they, Michael?

MichaelC: not sure. not clear what the timeline would be. last report is still working draft

MichaelC: can't answer that clearly at the moment

MichaelC: close this then?

janina: leave it open as we need to send chaser

Lionel_Wolberger: definition of "funny hats" is between end user consumption and author. how do we define this?

janina: let's see how Web of Things responds to the "middleware" term

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 185 (Thu Dec 2 18:51:55 2021 UTC).


Succeeded: s/list on this/list on Matter/

Maybe present: all, Fredrik