Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

13 October 2021


amy_c, anevins, becky, Fazio, Fredrik, janina, JF, Joshue108, PaulG
Fredrik, janina, PaulG

Meeting minutes

Agenda Review & Announcements;

NAUR published Tuesday,

<Fredrik> Working to get my sound up and running.

Accessibility of Remote Meetings expected tomorrow--Thursday

TPAC Planning https://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC/2021/GroupMeetings

becky: Notes schedule

<becky> https://web-eur.cvent.com/event/2b77fe3d-2536-467d-b71b-969b2e6419b5/websitePage:efc4b117-4ea4-4be5-97b4-c521ce3a06db

<becky> https://www.w3.org/register/tpac2021virtual for registration

janina: it's important for everyone to register for TPAC and individual sessions. We're updating the page. Not everything has been set yet. We're still working out the times. Please monitor the page for updates.

janina: it will be in chronological order eventually. Right now it's not.

janina: at the bottom of the page there are links to other accessibility-related sessions

becky: you have to be logged in to register

becky: on the cvent page

MichaelC: it's not your w3c login, there's a link from the TPAC page. You have to request a verification code and that's your login.

<becky> https://www.w3.org/2021/10/TPAC/

janina: we're working as quickly as possible to resolve the issues and finalize the schedule

<becky> awk JF

JF: the calendar you create doesn't seem to export correctly either

janina: we're only complete for week 1.

janina: what I learned this morning from Judy, there's a meta-provider for calendaring that's managing all this for w3c. We're probably going to find quirks. If you're facilitating a meeting, be ready in IRC.

janina: you'll get several emails and some may not come until the last hour before the session

EPUB reviews before TPAC joint meeting

becky: Recalls we're meeting with Epub to provide reviews.

becky: This is our time to discuss in advance

janina: Suggests in advance is best

Fredrik: Have found nothing in main spec -- 3.3 -- good work

Fredrik: May be because they've been incorporating a11y for sometime

becky: ano others?

becky: Notes we should post to the list for discussion before we get to our joint meeting so we can be well prepared

CSS Update & TPAC Meeting planning (Amy) https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues

General discussion on the TPAC meeting with CSS.

janina: Did anyone set CSS and APA up on the gneral TPAC calendar?

Joshue108: <looking>

becky: Breakout?

Joshue108: Yes.

becky: Should be provided by the typical TPAC.

Joshue108: It's on the APA TPAC page, linked to the Cvent page.

janina: We might get the actual Zoom details last minute.

janina: We should decide whose IRC channel we should use as long as the infrastructure works, we can use ours or theirs. We should probably propose something.

janina: What do we want to cover inthe call with CSS?

janina: We had some issues that started to queue 0on our end and Iäve some that have started popping up int eh last four hours.

janina: Put Amy down as a contact for that, please, Josh.

amy_c: I'm okay with using the APA IRC channel.

janina: Weäll do that.

janina: Amy, if I could turn to you for details about things you're familiar with.

janina: Does CSS have any issues they wouldlike to bring to us? We have had successful meetings with them for years.

amy_c: We want to discuss the MediaQueries thing further.

janina: We'd like to see that expandded into something like what we saw from Gottfried's student.

janina: There was a privacy concern, though. We think that MQ is golden.

amy_c: Niklas is the name of the student.

janina: We hsould put his presentation or notes thereof in the Github to give a pointer to where we think MQ should e going.

becky: Do we need to put it together into an agenda?

amy_c: They pull in existing issues and put it ina repo.

<becky> https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/projects/23

becky: We can do agenda+TPAC on taht page, probably. If you go to that page, we can potentially create issues and tag them with agenda+TPAC.

janina: Since Amy is familiar with that and we're not, can we email them to you, Amy?

amy_c: Yes.

janina: Great.

becky: CSS MediaQuereies would be good if we included the link to the emo of that. I can find that.

<janina> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/video-examples

becky: So: Amy is going to create issues int he CSS issue tracker, tag them with Agenda+TPAC so that they get into this page, and if you hava additional items you want on the agenda, you e-mail them to Amy.

janina: We have an exploratory kind of topic, possibly MQ beyond what Niklas showed. Or they tell us it's not an appropriate use of CSS.

JanFrom MIT, a PDF docuemtn to demonstrate how to use video streaming buffering to eliminate flashing so that the physical hazard, the life-threatening hazard for some people, we can provide a technological solution ot that.

janina: I'm wondering if that is something to implement through CSS or if we should look elsewhere.

janina: If the answer is yes, can you CSS ina similar vein to programmtically prevent autoplaying?

janina: There may be a maybe, or a probably not, or "some other spec" or maybe 2this is interesting and we'll talk about it and come back to it".

becky: That's a topic.

JF: The technoology we're talking about, might there be a link to the autostart attribute in HTML?

amy_c: That's what I'm thinking about. Even audio has these things.

JF: This is a great question to explore further, to make technology make user experiences better. I wantto broaden the discussion beyond CSS.

janina: Thanks for the suggestion.

janina: Judy has seen this working.

JF: They have tot a proof-of-concept technology. But is this the best way to do it?

janina: Let's at least raise the question.

JanThe other thign in the last four hours is that we should touch base betwen the Pronunciation TF and CSS speech (Leonie Watson is the head of that).

janina: Between us and CSS, we need to coordinate. We're not trying to solve the same problem. Related, because it's audio ikn the browser environemtn, but those are different aspects.

janina: We should, however, clear the air between our groups.

janina: And we have to look for an Amy replacement. She's seimply too good and there are far too few Amys around.

JanThanks for all the great work, Amy, and stying up to speed on everything.

becky: Anything specific, Amy? Anything still out there?

<Fredrik> amy_c: What are we still having hanging out there? Has anything been discussed that I would need to address?

Task Force Updates;

<Fredrik> becky: We generally said Amy would be back in October.

<Fredrik> amy_c: And so I was.

<Fredrik> PaulG: We have some new Github issues due today.

paul: Pronunciation has new github issues -- reviewed today

paul: Significant response after TPAC

<Fredrik> PaulG: Delay significant repsonse until after TPAC and be off for TPac meetings teh coming two weeks.

<JF> https://raw.githack.com/w3c/personalization-semantics/tpac-2021-talk/talks/2021/tpac/index.html#20

jf: Personalization prepping TPAC

<Fredrik> JF: Personalization hasn't made a lot of advancements on the specs. We have been preparing for TPAC (surprise!).

jf: Matthew has a brilliant slide deck for TPAC

<Fredrik> JF: Matthew Atkinson created a nice slide deck he shared yesterday which got agood feedback.

<Fredrik> JF: Teh first module is out for reviedw right now.

<Fredrik> JF: After we return from TPAC, the next focus of the group will be modules 2 and 3.

<Fredrik> becky: We should also satisfy internationalization.

<Fredrik> Fazio: We've got several TPAC sessions from COGA. On Content-Usable and so forth.

<Fredrik> janina: We should hightlight there¨s a joint session with RQTF and Personalization (separate sessions) beginning at 1400Z in two weeks, COGA and RQTF on hwo to do successful research and with Perosnlization, Lisa wanted to know what is coming out of that group.

<Fredrik> becky: That's two weeks from now.

<Fredrik> janina: COGA should lead those meetings since they requested them.

<Fredrik> Joshue108: RQTF: we've been doing some pubolishing. NAUR docuemnts were published. Remote Meetings will be published tomorrow.

<Fredrik> Joshue108: Apart fofm TPAC, those are the primary thigns we have at the moment.

<Fredrik> janina: There's also presentations on SAUR and Remote Meeetings during TPAC in breakouts. When we return from TpAC we have thigns like how to handle auotmated audio, and Flash and so on.

<Fredrik> janina: Weä'll see what RQTF can do to help move thigns forward with CSS.

<Fredrik> janina: We also have the symposium with the univeristy of Portugal whose name I can't remember. That is on Nov 10.

FAST Progress

Joshue108: Have been working on a matrix "methodology"

<Fredrik> Joshue108: We've been making progress on the methodology and prepari9ng for the meeting on TPAC.

Joshue108: Preparing for TPAC presentation; session has moved to Thursday 21 October 1400Z

<Fredrik> Joshue108: Session has moved from onday to Thursday, now 2PM UTC.

New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

<Fredrik> MichaelC: No new charters to review!

Accessibility Review Comment Tracker https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

<MichaelC> https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/6351

<Fredrik> MichaelC: We've been keeping all the CSS scrollbars issues and add-wide-scrollbars open on our part.

<Fredrik> becky: Any more discussion on that one?

MichaelC: Notes we've been keeping scroll bar wide open

<Fredrik> janina: That should be in our conversations next week.

<Fredrik> amy_c: They've kind of rebuffed it but we've said it's important.

<Fredrik> janina: Let's just duke it out, shall we? ;)

<Fredrik> becky: That's good.

<MichaelC> https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/6319

<Fredrik> MichaelC: If we're looking for CSS issues. CSS Colour 5 make it easier to select the right WCA colour level.

<Fredrik> janina: Are we waiting fr better definitions form AGWG?

<Fredrik> MichaelC: That's all.

Dangling Spec Review Cleanup: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Category:Spec_Review_Assigned

<Fredrik> amy_c: Should I be looking over this?

<Fredrik> janina: We'll just wave our hands, mindful that a new computational algorithm is expected for WCAG 3 where they have formulations with text and background involved.

<Fredrik> janina: There's talk of expanding it further for other types of contrast and so on.

<Fredrik> amy_c: We're kind of monitoring it.

<Fredrik> janina: If we get really good research back with a math formula, we'll want CSS to pik that up and, wellk, make the world better.

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/open

Dangling Spec Review Cleanup: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Category:Spec_Review_Assigned

<MichaelC> https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3040

<Fredrik> MichaelC: One of the dangling issues is on CSS display module.

<Fredrik> MichaelC: We filed an issue three yreas ago or so and one year ago we escalated it and it's been sitting htere.

<Fredrik> becky: The history is rather vague.

<Fredrik> MichaelC: When you do a review you'll need to be able to raise them in teh call and be able to go through tjem

<Fredrik> MichaelC: Please walk through the reviews on the call.

<Fredrik> Joshue108: We'll do that after TPAC tthen.

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/CSS_Color_Adjustment_Module_Level_1

<Fredrik> MichaelC: CSS Colour Adjustment Module. Amy took this on six months ago.

<Fredrik> MichaelC: Soemhow this wasn't closed.

<Fredrik> MichaelC: The WebXR ones that Josh mentioned.

<Fredrik> MichaelC: I thin we've pinged on everythign else right now.

<MichaelC> close action-2307

<trackbot> Closed action-2307.

<Fredrik> https://www.w3.org/TR/virtual-keyboard/

<Fredrik> Fredrik: Virtual Keyboard: nothign to report.

<Fredrik> becky: I'll take a look at it, too.

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/open

<Fredrik> Cricetae cricetae.

<Fredrik> anevins_: I thought I'd mention: EPUB: watch out fo rtables that don't have captions and sometimes there's 2d scrolling when people post code snippets. I think sometimes permanlinks are a little off. And some grammatical issues.

<Fredrik> becky: Thanks a lot!

<Fredrik> becky: Thanks everyone fo rall the work ou've done, especially Janina on TPAC.

<Fredrik> becky: Attend as much as you can on TPAC. Try to prioritize the TPAC sessions where you have interest and experience.

<Fredrik> janina: Next year in Jerusalem.

<Fredrik> becky: Thanks for all the scribing.

<Fredrik> becky: Amy, thanks for all your work.

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 136 (Thu May 27 13:50:24 2021 UTC).


Succeeded: s/VirtualKezboard:/Virtual Keyboard:

Maybe present: MichaelC, paul