16 September 2021


harris, jamesn, Jemma, MarkMcCarthy, Matt_King, sarah_higley
PeterKrautzberger JamesCraig WilliamTennis

Meeting minutes

<sarah_higley> present_

<sarah_higley> I can type :D

zakim next item

[New Issue Triage](https://bit.ly/3AepDmN)

James: this is a great first issue

Jory will do this

[Deep Dive planning](https://bit.ly/aria-meaty-topic-candidates)

<jamesn> https://www.w3.org/events/meetings/e8bf3a32-c3c8-4a97-aafa-7e8063233e2a

jamesn: next deep dive is the link above, we don't have anything else yet

please let jamesn know if anyone has a topic

[TPAC 2021](https://github.com/w3c/aria/issues/1482)

jamesn: we don't yet have any requests from ourWG for cross-group meetings. Let us know soon if you have one, we are running out of time

jamesn Oct-25-29 is the timing for joint meetings

<jamesn> https://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC/2021/SessionIdeas

jamesn there are currenty 13 proposed breakout sessions

JaEun sessions can be open to TPAC only or public

jamesn perhaps we could have a plenary on latest for ARIA APG and AT

see https://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC/2021/SessionIdeas for info

cyns would like to do an AOM session

<Jemma> [optional] Timeslot: one slot at 7am UTC, 2pm UTC, or 3pm UTC any day except Wednesday

<Jemma> @cyns AOM session would be great!

7AM PST (GMT -8) is the timeslot if you only want to present once

jamesn its best to submit proposals by Oct 8

Any w3C member can submit a proposal.

jamesn The working group sessions for TPAC week would be a good time for deep dives where we want a lot of participation, e.g. Data Viz

cyns it sould be great to get the SVG WG folks into the data viz talk

jamesn will propose a data viz session with SVG, cyns will talk AOM, Matt will organize APG

[Updating ARIA 1.2 due to IDL implementations (exit and re-enter CR?)](https://github.com/w3c/aria/issues/1598)

<jamesn> https://github.com/w3c/aria/pull/1611

jamesn there is a pr (#1611) for this with a few outstanding comments

jamesn will update fix the HTML URIs

scott O re: "get" vs "getting" this idea is new to our spec, jsut wanted to see if we should define this

jamesn prefers not to define these in ARIA, but would be for referencing an external definition (Web IDL? HTML?)

scott O doesn't want this to be blocking

jamesn will get this merged and into CR

[When is hidden content taken into calculation of name and description?](https://github.com/w3c/accname/issues/57)

<jamesn> https://github.com/w3c/accname/pull/137

jamesn (PR: https://github.com/w3c/accname/pull/137) there were comments around how innerText works when a hidden label is referenced

sarah_higley why don't hidden elements use the same computation as non-hidden elements?

jamesn the issue is the browser not understanding if children of hidden nodes are explicitly hidden or not

sarah_higley it sounds like we have both a conceptually inconsistent thing AND a browser issue

<cyns> Found WebIDL definitions of getter and setter, linked in issue https://github.com/w3c/aria/pull/1611#discussion_r710340270

cyns this approach is the one that is possible for Apple

sarah_higley it would be preferable to not need to understand browser internals to understand name resolution

<Jemma> https://github.com/w3c/aria/issues/1055

jamesn reliying on these internals may be the only path to consistency

<Jemma> +1 to james' suggestion

jamesn would like to hear from Aaron on this

jamesn I was suggesting that we say "if the current node is RENDERED"

<Jemma> to resolve this PR, using html definition rendered

cyns let's get JamesC and AaronL

<Jemma> +1 for distinguishing hidden info in note section.

cyns we can and should reference the HTML definition concerning hidden vs. rendered

<Jemma> visibilty hidden rendered.

Matt_King ARIA has generally considered things hidden in relation to CSS display none, are we changing that?

cyns because the Apple implementation hinges on RENDERED we need to use that

Matt_King wants to be sure we don't make authors chase the definition of rendered to understand this

jamesn cyns can you ping jamesc and aaronl about this?

cyns yes

this = https://github.com/w3c/accname/pull/137

jamesn would like people to comment on his review comment

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 136 (Thu May 27 13:50:24 2021 UTC).


Succeeded: s/hiden/hidden/

Maybe present: James