Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

01 September 2021


becky, Joshue, Joshue108, Lionel_Wolberger, mike_beganyi, PaulG
Fredrik_Fischer, Gottfried_Zimmerman

Meeting minutes


<janina> ~.

<janina> q!

Agenda Review & Announcements

janina: std. agenda, asking for announcements? None heard.

TPAC Planning https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Meetings/TPAC_2021

janina: making progress getting meetings set up for TPAC; have moved some meetings between weeks; expect to be finalized by mid-september

janina: don't expect many more meetings, just need to get people engaged

Task Force Updates

janina: process change for how to move to CR - now require 90 days of horizontal review from 5 groups. Personalization may need to perform those horizontal reviews before we can go to CR. Some are likely complete - but def. need accessibility and security and one open issue from I18N

Janina: US holiday next Monday, religious holidays next week

janina: research questions resolved to publish synchronization accessibility user requirements (SAUR); will refer to FCC guidance within the document - working out the language for that statement; After that is complete will be issuing a CfC; will make it a bit longer due to holidays.

Lionel: curious about the FCC document

Janina: we may need to track the FCC work more closely in the future

PaulG: putting together an updated working draft for pronunciation

Janina: no one here from COGA, have been discussing TPAC meetings with the chairs around symbols and internationalization - suggests that a meeting with RQTF might be a better first step

janina: to talk about putting together another AUR doc around symbols

Lionel_Wolberger: (a bit off topic) but many APA and W3C emails are going to spam; suggest people check their spam

MichaelC: this has been a periodic problem for W3C - explains basic reasons (but W3C isn't doing anything wrong)

janina: perhaps we need to add something to onboarding emails that reminds people to whitelist W3C lists

MichaelC: AG and ARIA have already done that, we can use that as a template

FAST Update

MichaelC: talked with Josh this week, have the seeds of a project plan, want to show it off at TPAC; my geek week project (W3C staff gets to spend time doing fun tech stuff) will be to work on this

josh: geek week starts on sept. 13

josh: thinking of including the evolution of how the FAST has progressed in the demo/talk

New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

<MichaelC> https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues/284

<MichaelC> https://w3c.github.io/charter-drafts/html-2021.html

MichaelC: HTML draft re-charter has been looked at from ARIA perspective; APA is not listed as a liaison - we have asked for that but it seems to be on hold/in discussion

janina: think we need metadata at element level in addition to page level -- personalization

Lionel_Wolberger: this could help advance personalization and get more interest

janina: registry is part of the story - there is a proposal within W3C that we provide a registry repository/ schema

Lionel_Wolberger: similar to a namespace in XML?

janina: yes, this can let people know "features" of a resource before exploring - example: knowing if a movie has audio description before renting

Janina: can selectively review the registry - for example, I care about audio description and not captions

A11y Review Comment Tracker https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

MichaelC: a11y self review for CSS scrollbars

<MichaelC> https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/6555

MichaelC: they adapted our FAST checklist; they meet many req. but saying there is not provision for exposing colors of scrollbars to a11y api - they believe this is the responsibility of the a11y API

janina: is there a req. document for the A11y API?

MichaelC: will try to find;

MichaelC: this issues shows up in wide review tracker and the a11y review tracker

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

MichaelC: 6 new ones today

MichaelC: 3 are Web XR- overlays module, hit test module, and depth sensing

janina: how do they define depth

MichaelC: there is an api for how to get the information but doesn't seem to have a definition

josh: challenge with XR is identifying where there are a11y touch points that are embedded in the specs; suggest that we need to review

michael: they are FPWD should we defer?

josh: I will look at dom overlay and hit testing

janina: I will look at depth sensing

MichaelC: secure payment confirmation - FPWD

<MichaelC> Secure Payment Confirmation

MichaelC: hoping for a secure accessible receipt but this is just that user has agreed to pay

janina: group agrees no need to review

<MichaelC> DID Method Rubric v1.0

MichaelC: group indicates need to better define what decentralized means;

PaulG: lack of examples, esp. for AT

PaulG: may need an alternative form of DID - for example, git hashes aren't recognizable but we use names for branches to identify them

Lionel_Wolberger: group is passionate about decentralization; this rubric is a checklist or evaluation tool to define/access/measure.

Lionel_Wolberger: compares to robert's rules of order - they don't include accessibility, they are just rules; likewise does the decentralization "rules" operate in the same manner

Lionel_Wolberger: don't believe we need to review; when they get down to user experience we can dive deeper; currently too theoretical

janina: we won't review for now

<MichaelC> CSS Nesting Module

MichaelC: add ability to nest style rules within one another; believe it is low enough level that we don't need to review

janina: agreed

CSS Update & Comment Feedback (Amy) https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues

Dangling Spec Review Cleanup: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Category:Spec_Review_Assigned

janina: any reports on outstanding items?


janina: end of call

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 136 (Thu May 27 13:50:24 2021 UTC).


Succeeded: s/pure/secure

Maybe present: janina, josh, Lionel, michael, MichaelC