Spoken Pronunciation Task Force Teleconference

11 August 2021


Alan, Alan_, Dee, Irfan, janina, JF, mhakkinen, NeilS, paul_grenier, PaulG, Roy, SteveNoble_
Irfan, Irfan Ali

Meeting minutes

Agenda Review & Announcements

PaulG: standard agenda and nothing major

janina: TPAC planning needs to be discussed

Roy: will talk to officers to invite Sam as an invited expert or follow up with her company.

New Publishing Timeline

PaulG: we need to have our publishing every after 90 days which will make it look like active work

PaulG: we have got more issues in our github. we can take the things that we have talked before and take it forward.

PaulG: it will be nice to prioritize the tickets

<PaulG> https://github.com/w3c/pronunciation/issues/91


janina: based upon my discussion at Amazon, people have misunderstanding what are we proposing. They should know that this will be only applied where necessary.

janina: I was surprise to know that people still do not under the scope of our task

JF: there is another use case, such as poxy server in middle. In Education domain most company have office of accommodation where they legally permit modifying documents to make it accessible. I can think of a case where they can copy the document locally to make it accessible.

PaulG: To Janina's comment, current documents is geared to showing off complexity of SSML. May be we can add some good examples to make users understand. We can include some other example with every day's common problem.

janina: I dont believe that TTS is going to solve all the pronunciation problem. But I believe that better TTS is going to handle some of the regular problems. As of now most of the TTS engines are not capable to handle all these easy problems.

janina: we could perhaps add the example of edu domain.

PaulG: if we can get authors to understand how it should be pronounce, may be AI will figure out about the rules

janina: our first target should be making our specs recommendations so that people can start using it

PaulG: for robustness, it does provide another mechanism where a device is not connected to server, we may be able to get some people for that. even a community lingo that doesn't come across well for tts engine, those examples might be very helpful.

PaulG: some of the commercial examples will be helpful

PaulG: i can add some examples for localization

Action: Alan to create a paragraph for i18N

<trackbot> Created ACTION-33 - Create a paragraph for i18n [on Alan Reeve - due 2021-08-18].

Incorporate Feedback

<PaulG> https://github.com/w3c/pronunciation/issues/94

Alan_: the data-ssml-voice-languages attribute - How does this interact with the existing lang attribute? Could probably benefit from an example.

Alan_: data-ssml-say-as-detail - I am unclear as to how I would use this. I didn't find the link to the SSML spec to help much.

PaulG: may be we can address this and I can take a look on this

PaulG: I will create a response to it and if group agrees, it will be on deck for future change

Other Business

janina: APA is re-chartered which was announced this morning. being a new charter means that everybody in APA needs to renew without exception. in Member organizations, AC rep can nominate. Invited experts need to follow the joiing process for renew the membership.

janina: I have sent an email with an attachment which has all additional information. There is a 45 days grace period

<janina> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Meetings/TPAC_2021

janina: TPAC- in an overview of emerging specification, I am proposing it for breakout session, grouped with personalization. Other place I put it which is more futuristic, proposed meeting with ARIA and members of TAG and other members.

janina: how to bridge what browser wants to do vs AT needs, we get some good help. currently proposed in second week session. James Nurthern agrees that we should talk about it. Got some validation on this approach. we will take our problem there.

janina: if we do not get these people, we will look for another avenue to address this.


Summary of action items

  1. Alan to create a paragraph for i18N
Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 136 (Thu May 27 13:50:24 2021 UTC).


No scribenick or scribe found. Guessed: Irfan