Cognitive and Learning Disabilities Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

05 August 2021


Albert, Albert_, Jennie, JohnRochford, kirkwood, LisaSeemanKest, Rachael, Rain, Roy, stevelee

Meeting minutes

<LisaSeemanKest> If no one signs up, we will start signing you up

<LisaSeemanKest> Please don’t take a time someone has already taken

<LisaSeemanKest> Bring Common Objects issue back to the group: (find owner) https://github.com/w3c/wcag/issues/1902

Check in with all sub-groups and action requests https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/PlanningPage

Jennie: had to move the meeting. waiting for one more response for the meeting date. Sent reminder to John this morning.

<LisaSeemanKest> figma

Image subgroup. Working on tool called Figma.

<LisaSeemanKest> https://www.w3.org/groups/tf/cognitive-a11y-tf/participants

Jennie: github account on that link but don't see email addresses or select individual

Rain: check top right corner

Roy: will check what the issue is and get back

<Jennie> Thanks for working on that - Roy!

Holiday (6th is labour day) Will we take the last two weeks of August? Or last week of August, 1st week of September?

Lisa: normally TF take two weeks off. when do we want to take the days off?

<Jennie> I am on holiday August 26

<Jennie> either

Lisa: Show your preference for dates to take off

<kirkwood> 19th and 26th

<JohnRochford> Either

<Rain> 19th and 26th

first week of September

<Rachael> 26th and first week of September (but flexible)

<Rain> I am also flexible

<Rachael> I am fine with the last two weeks. :)

Works with me flexible

<kirkwood> 19th is my birthday, 26th is my ‘rebirth day’ ;)

Update on community group, outreach

Lisa: we will take the last two weeks off

Lisa: last two weeks of August

Lisa: Rain sent out final draft of community group

<LisaSeemanKest> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-Mk1ygGNCpkH7UA5fW1aVtgk-Z7MWDY6Zr95nnlDjnM/edit

Rain: One open item for Steve in the community guidelines. Asked in comment. Which link I should use?

<Rain> can you confirm the link we should use? Should we use the general about page (https://www.w3.org/community/about/) or be more specific with the code of ethics and conduct (https://www.w3.org/Consortium/cepc/)?

<LisaSeemanKest> are we ready to build iut?

<LisaSeemanKest> +1

<kirkwood> +1

<Jennie> +1

Albert: wanna take a look for another day

Rain: planned postpone for 1 day. So deadline: tomorrow

<Rachael> +1

Jennie: Title change to final version after confirmed would be helpful

Jennie: If no longer comments open, mention in the doc please

Lisa: Next thing is spreading awareness about this group. We can be very open about it. No need for experience. if people have interest, that should be good enough to join

<kirkwood> that was my question too. Rachael

Rachael: do we have draft communications for spreading awareness of the community group?

<LisaSeemanKest> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DoohB2-tREjXx7PF6sCi3jLt6OrjE1ciAb0Dcb7FgyU/edit#heading=h.y2s7r73z4e90

Rain: it is on my to do list and will do it today

<Rachael> Thank you

Please sign up to scribe https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/Scribe_list

<LisaSeemanKest> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RPD4pRLngZslj-KsRBlxknECCe0q1cDIx1eo0XyFGks/edit?usp=sharing

Lisa: If you invite people to the community group, you should probably add to the spreadsheet

<LisaSeemanKest> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RPD4pRLngZslj-KsRBlxknECCe0q1cDIx1eo0XyFGks/edit#gid=1127865154

Lisa: so that we can make sure we have invited a lot of people but not multiple times for same people. looks unprofessional


Lisa: Rain will let us know when the community group promoting draft is written

Lisa: W3C wants us to come up with proposal. We should have standard thing in the form.

Jennie: what would be helpful is to define how the community group members will participate in terms of interactions before we go down in the defining the solution.

Jennie: for example, if we use quotes in research documentation, or summarize individuals inputs

Jennie: in general, when we get closer to publication, if someone is not their own guardian, we have individuals names and contact information closer to the publication, it would be helpful

Jennie: publicity of names of those without guardianship can make them vulnerable in terms of some states so we need permission for those

Lisa: someone should write up a draft of proposal

Lisa: asking about someone is under guardianship or whether they want their names on the publications

Lisa: maybe we don't want the meeting to be public or open

Rachael: I would treat them separately. Guardianship and publication question

Rachael: Anonymous is for experts who do have the preference

Rachael: ask them if they want to be anonymous for guardianship case as well

Lisa: Jennie or Rachael do you want to write this up?

<Rachael> Option 1: Anonymous (defaults to no publication); 2: Not Anonymous but on no publications 3. Not Anonymous and asked for each publication

Jennie: nervous to be doing alone

Jennie: willing to do in consult with other person

<LisaSeemanKest> ach r

John: I can potentially collaborate on this as well

Jennie: in terms of similar laws in other countries, John and my experience is mostly North America. Are there any other countries guardianship law I should take into consideration of?

<JohnRochford> https://www.international-guardianship.com/yokohama-declaration.htm

Jennie: John and I will connect to start drafting

Design update from Steve (15 mins)

<Jennie> Thank you John Rochford!

Do I scribe this part as well?

<kirkwood> very good other John ;)

Can anyone help summarize this part for scribing? I am having a hard time understanding.

Steve: Steve is working on creating a web version of content usable

Steve: discussing design decisions to date

Steve: there is a new At A Glance Page. I added the summary document to this.

<LisaSeemanKest> https://www.w3.org/TR/coga-usable/#appendix-mapping-user-needs-personas-and-patterns

Lisa asked about our request to have the personas in the right hand box. Steve will add them

<LisaSeemanKest> https://www.w3.org/TR/coga-usable/#test-objectives

would also like to see the user testing elements referenced, as well

John: pattern and design pattern used interchangeably?

John: personally prefer to see Design pattern instead of pattern

Lisa also asked about the lack of a left navigation that can be collapsed and visible. Steve has tried to address this by putting the previous/next navigation at the top.

Rain: want to go back to the navigation at the left. Giving the user option to expand and collapse the navigation at the left would be exceptionally helpful for a lot of people. Gives opportunity to see the overview.

+1 with Rain

John: agree with Rain

<kirkwood> +1 agree with rain

Albert, John: +1 with Rain

Lisa: Looking at this, when you get a small screen like mobile, you can have reactive design and have the menu left side bar navigation we are talking about.

Lisa: you can close the bar, etc.

Lisa: a bit confusing is what's the pattern and what's an objective

Lisa: also colors. so maybe objective, the text is always in one color and pattern having another color always would be helpful

Lisa: too much jargon in the page

<kirkwood> Yes agree think it needs a plain language look at it?

<kirkwood> graphics would help

Jennie: examples in graphics can help

Jennie: graphics sub group can review the page and make comments

<JohnRochford> Great work, Steve!

<Jennie> +1

<Jennie> *dropping to prep for next meeting. Talk to everyone next week.

<JohnRochford> Same here. Bye.

<LisaSeemanKest> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/Scribe_list

<Rachael> +1 Steve

Lisa: one other item for scribe list. please choose week when you want to scribe.

Lisa: 2 dates good for you

Lisa: otherwise, we will just put you down for 1

<LisaSeemanKest> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/wiki/Teleconference_cheat_sheet

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 136 (Thu May 27 13:50:24 2021 UTC).


Succeeded: s/top/left

Maybe present: John, Lisa, Steve