SDWIG monthly meeting

24 June 2021



Meeting minutes

<roba> scribe brinkwoman

...workshop report: https://www.w3.org/2020/maps/report
… accessibility requirements were a strong theme. Every feature needs to have an accessible name
… so adding a featurecaption element
… implemented in polyfill and in server component
… [demonstrates accessible popups on map]
… feature caption makes it efficient to tab through features. Not perfected yet, still work to do.
… Doug Shephert mapped MapML to requirements for maps on the web identified earlier. [shows matrix]
… Looking for an editor to help continue this process
… A student worked on custom projections. One of the comments of this group was that MapML was limited as to projections.
… [demonstrates]
… of interest is linking within maps
… [demonstrates] not only within maps, but also linking out to external (map) sources
… creating a web of feature information
… zoom levels described in header of resource
… and go to another resource for additional zoom levels as needed
… shareable primitive APIs: providing interface to developers. We have a prototype for that.
… zoom and pan buttons, layer controls, etc
… Why I invited Gobe Hobana: a key thing is that you need parameters like origin, resolutions, bounds, tilesize for web mapping
… need this to be retrievable somewhere.

jtandy_: so you want to understand how you can group up these things to get the atomic unit of info needed to generate a map.

PeterR: yes, and we need to have standard definitions for this

Gobe: we already have such descriptions for scale sets, I shared the links in the [Teams] chat.
… these are already registered. New well-known scale sets can be added.

<RobSmith> Descriptions of example WKSS in the 2D TMS standard http://docs.opengeospatial.org/is/17-083r2/17-083r2.html#56

Gobe: only issue is OGC API Tiles SWG is considering if this concept needs to be included in the next revision of the standard. Because they can be derived from TMS.

<jtandy_> Cross-posting Gobe's chat:

Gobe: currently asking for comments on this issue

<jtandy_> Descriptions of example WKSS in the 2D TMS standard http://docs.opengeospatial.org/is/17-083r2/17-083r2.html#56 Registrations in the OGC Definitions Server http://www.opengis.net/def/wkss/OGC Definitions of common Tile Matrix Sets, as specified in the 2D TMS Standard http://docs.opengeospatial.org/is/17-083r2/17-083r2.html#61

PeterR: I would go in the other direction. These parameters are important for interoperability, similar to an EPSG code.

Chris: EPSG code components can be parameterized

<ogc-gobe> Registrations of TMS in the OGC Definitions Server http://www.opengis.net/def/tms

Chris: and there are other authoritative bodies

jtandy_: great conversation. We have more on the agenda unfortunately.
… further discussion in a github issue

PeterR: happy to have more conversation

<roba> NB on defs-dev (development) we have implemented access to technical resources too.. http://defs-dev.opengis.net/def/tilematrixset/OGC/1.0/WorldMercatorWGS84Quad?_profile=alt


<roba> - so perhaps we need to separate concerns - identifiers vs parameterised information vs description publication

RobSmith: my most notable news: I have managed to change HTML
… undefined endtime ended up in HTML spec, in collab with WebVTT, and wrote web platform tests
… second thing is I finally published the Android app

<PeterR> Scale set issue: https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/1237

RobSmith: basically tracks where you are with video in sync on a smartphone, and it's free
… Next thing is I got involved with GeoPose group in OGC, creating a standard for 'where are you and where are you looking'

<ogc-gobe> Thanks @PeterR. I will take an action to the bring the issue (SDWIG#1237) up in the next OGC API - Tiles SWG meeting.

RobSmith: first draft already available, working on user guide and reviewers guide
… considering putting some new features into the android app related to geopose / recording camera orientation
… danger of overloading the text format
… ties in with OGC testbed 17 moving features: trying to extract location of moving features observed in the video
… trying to extract use cases: traffic, attempting to track school buses for example, from a gopro by the road, or from a drone.
… currently trying to get British roadside footage to get metrics on traffic flow, in anonymous way, maintaining privacy.
… second use case is river discharge. Using footage, measuring flow rate of water. Could be from drone, airplane, satellite
… finally there's autonomous vehicles, with cameras, LiDAR, trying to work out where the footage the vehicle is showing, is being taken.

jtandy_: do you need our help with something?

RobSmith: yes, looking to get in touch with Perspective imagery, or Oblique Imagery DWG.

ogc-gobe: I can get you in touch with the chairs

Christine Perey: could you include me, also need to get in touch with them.

ogc-gobe: will send you their email addresses and also those of some active members.

jtandy_: well done getting HTML changed
… Linda and I will put out a call for some work items we identified.
… Simon sent some slides about OWL Time update, can skip this item and distribute the slides

Chris: Three things were changed. IANA links and two small changes.

Responsible Use note

RobSmith: Emily asked me to give the update
… there was a workshop on the 25th of May, inviting a larger audience to give feedback
… 65 participents, very interactive meeting
… actors: user, developer, regulator, and other
… other is a significant group, because that's all of use - you are involved because data is created about you
… strava use case: cyclist who attacked black lives protestor, police tracked the wrong person based on data. Discussed this use case from the 4 perspectives

jtandy_: as a result of that workshop, is new info going into the ethics doc?

RobSmith: yes, hoping to make an update to capture the feedback. Also looking to promote to a wider audience. It is not covering Asia, Africa, South-America yet

jtandy_: thank you very much. Apology to the speakers for small audience. Will make sure this gets attention of the group
… the new charter is about to go to review in the relevant W3C body and we should have a new Team contact soon

roba: Been having some discussion with O&M group related to SOSA/SSN. Better guidance on observable property description is needed. Will get back about that

jtandy_: thank you all

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 136 (Thu May 27 13:50:24 2021 UTC).


No scribenick or scribe found. Guessed: brinkwoman

Maybe present: Chris, Gobe, jtandy_, ogc-gobe, PeterR, roba, RobSmith