Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

24 June 2021


Addison, Atsushi, Bert, Felix, Fuqiao, JcK, Peter, r12a, Richard
Addison Phillips

Meeting minutes

<addison> trackbot, prepare teleconference

<addison> scribenick atsushi

richard: Peter will join this call.

Agenda Review

Action Items

<addison> https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

addison: couples of docs, changes for string-meta which has not been done yet

<addison> action-1032?

<trackbot> action-1032: Richard Ishida to Propose text for html 4814 (datalist find/string search) -- due 2021-06-03 -- OPEN

<addison> close action-1032

<trackbot> Closed action-1032.

richard: 1032 in agenda

addison: 1034 next week

<addison> action-1035?

<trackbot> action-1035: Richard Ishida to Update string-meta to use new mustard format from specdev -- due 2021-06-24 -- OPEN

richard: update string in string-meta (1035), in back and forth

<addison> close action-1035

<trackbot> Closed action-1035.

Info Share

Action: Felix to provide a definition of 'metadata' for the i18n glossary

<trackbot> Created ACTION-1037 - Provide a definition of 'metadata' for the i18n glossary [on Felix Sasaki - due 2021-07-01].


RADAR Review

<addison> https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

addison: new one, mediastream image capture
… both I and richard reviewed.

addison: move this one to completed

richard: one infoshare, tracker for language enablement, had one bug which has already fixed

<r12a> https://www.w3.org/International/i18n-activity/textlayout/

Developing Localizable Manifests (draft)

<addison> https://aphillips.github.io/i18n-drafts/temp/developing-localizable-manifests.en.html

addison: continuing some edits, look at section 3.2

richard: do we have a repository for this?

addison: currently temp under i18n-drafts
… not yet decided to where this should go
… will add an action to build a repository for this

addison: any objection to make a new repo for this?

Action: richard: create repo for developing-localizable-manifests


<trackbot> Created ACTION-1038 - Create repo for developing-localizable-manifests [on Richard Ishida - due 2021-07-01].


<addison> https://aphillips.github.io/string-meta/#

<addison> https://aphillips.github.io/string-meta/#defining_bidi_keywords

addison: hopefully not miss anything
… one thing LTR/RTL and auto thing.
… but other major points have finished

richard: brief look on this, interesting document

bert: terminology for direction, display direction?
… feels somehow smaller from display

[sorry missing due to battery out of speaker, exchanging]

addison: totally open for different names, these are platform container

richard: if you have a manifest, which has string in with direction for each string, in this case data can say directions are all one direction, and could specify at the top as document direction

addison: field or ...?
… both string and layout could have

richard: could worth to have another example for clarify

richard: I'm not yet convinced with text on direction
… we should dictate the naming

richard: message should say use direction of field

addison: string-meta is the most best practice

richard: why they should do?

addison: consistency on naming
… wire-up document and consumer

richard: would less worried, on name of direction

<r12a> propose using the RECOMMEND keyword

Datalist find (Richard's proposed text)

<addison> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2021Jun/0012.html

<addison> If filtering based on the user's input, user agents should use substring matching against both the suggestions' label and value (as opposed to prefix matching). Such substring matching should be done after Unicode normalization and case folding have been applied. User agents may apply other matching techniques as desired for their user experience, for example accent-stripping, matching kana with kanji, matching against potential misspellin[CUT]

<addison> https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/4814#issuecomment-522741220

richard: quite not the same as suggested one
… saying you should use substring match

addison: there were long standing story why its hard

richard: this thread is for what you will get from when you match with ones typed

addison: could be somehow control less
… most of the time, less powerful on finding
… simple one is substring match, we recommending something like unicode normalization or case sensitivity
… considering potential misspelling

richard: we are suggesting, definetly unicode normalization, definetly case folding
… that should be the minimum to do

<addison> https://github.com/w3c/string-search

richard: whatelse you do

richard: don't care of NFKC/NFD, normalized text is the all

addison: want to link to charmod norm?
… string match has wide variety, and difficult to define

addison: any other observation here?

richard: do they use capital letter?

addison: might be

richard: add a comment saying clarifying our thought, in parallel to raising PR

richard: want to say is that two item should be performed, at some point in series. if there is no reason to remove

Action: r12a to propose PR for https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/4814

<trackbot> Created ACTION-1039 - Propose pr for https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/4814 [on Richard Ishida - due 2021-07-01].

Publish glossary to TR?

<r12a> https://w3c.github.io/i18n-glossary/

richard: talked on this before, currently available for ED
… updating document and definitions

richard: question is whether to publish FPWD

bert: thing in good shape, it is fine, and could be published


<xfq> +1

<fsasaki> +1

<Bert_> +1

<r12a> +1

<addison> +1

addison: agreed to publish as FPWD

Resolution: Publish i18n-glossary as a FPWD

Review of article update: Declaring language in HTML

<addison> https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/questions/qa-html-language-declarations

richard: check on changes
… not substantive, small
… any objection to be published?

<Peter> I need to drop off. Thanks/ciao!

Action: r12a add a side note about dir to https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/questions/qa-html-language-declarations#contentvsattribute

<trackbot> Error creating an ACTION: could not connect to Tracker. Please mail <sysreq@w3.org> with details about what happened.

richard: that section, I will change, some person commented also
… need to decide whether it is a good or not.
… this is an anchor element in the main document in spanish, label for anchor is different language

richard: span in English

addison: title is not

<r12a> https://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-html-language-declarations#contentvsattribute

richard: so, I think to publish this

addison: other observation is there is many XHTML header

richard: baseically under detail, could move detail section to the end

Action: r12a to de-emphasise XHTML in https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/questions/qa-html-language-declarations#contentvsattribute

<trackbot> Created ACTION-1041 - De-emphasise xhtml in https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/questions/qa-html-language-declarations#contentvsattribute [on Richard Ishida - due 2021-07-01].

addison: otherwise looks good, push them

richard: no substantive change, no need to be re-reviewed


[chat on slow server]

Summary of action items

  1. Felix to provide a definition of 'metadata' for the i18n glossary
  2. richard: create repo for developing-localizable-manifests
  3. r12a to propose PR for https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/4814
  4. r12a add a side note about dir to https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/questions/qa-html-language-declarations#contentvsattribute
  5. r12a to de-emphasise XHTML in https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/questions/qa-html-language-declarations#contentvsattribute

Summary of resolutions

  1. Publish i18n-glossary as a FPWD
Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 136 (Thu May 27 13:50:24 2021 UTC).


No scribenick or scribe found. Guessed: atsushi