Cognitive and Learning Disabilities Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

21 June 2021


Fazio, johnkirkwood, JustineP, Rachael

Meeting minutes

<JustineP> start the meeting

<JustineP> list attendees

preferred approach to meet and greet any new members

<Fazio> I'm multitasking sorry

Justine: How does everyone feel about providing a meet and greet for new members?

Lisa: Add periodically asking whether people would like it to the to do list. When we invite people, ask about what format works well for them

David: I don't want people to get their feelings hurt. Hard to find the time.

Justine: These meetings are focused. No opportunity to develop working relationship.

Rachael: Lot of work setting up. Maybe 2 times a year. Maybe invite COGA.

Lisa: Massaging that when we get new people. If really important to them put it near to when they join.

Justine: Depends on individual needs. Introverts may find it helpful. Twofold approach. Once invited, have mentor foster the relationship. Maybe COGA host?

Lisa: put on suggestion list.
… can't put pressure on people.

Rachael: Maybe keep lighter.

Justine: Try it and if no participating, table it.

Lisa: Put on agenda for coga planning.

Lisa: Two tracks right now. 1) lit review, people need actions. 2) Need clear methodology. We can then show it to new members and ask for comment.

Justine: Was someone going to reach back to the research taskforce to check the methodology?

Lisa: Jason felt out of scope. Michael feels in scope. I think we should have our methodology and then send them a friendly question and cc Michael and Roy asking them to review it. Ask Michael to follow up

David: Reached out to 2 institutes. If we can get members from those orgs, they may be able to help us structure the research methodology.

review to do's

<JustineP> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/Subgroups/Mental_Health

Justine: Aiming to review one article per person. Aiming to compete lit review by end of June. Seems unlikely. Targetting end of July. Also seems questionable. Can adjust as needed.

<JustineP> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cF0PjPkEBeXGZqj0_0SKl-H2QE0sCHVIAL07UnD8vzc/edit#heading=h.f4x9omv4xb5d

Justine: if you have time, look at sensitivities and add to this. Think about which conditions we should cover in the issue paper. Last piece is the recruiting

Lisa: Wrote and need to follow up.

scribe list reminder

Justine: Reminder that on our mental subgroup page I added a section to add yourself as a scribe

discuss one research paper per person

Rachael: See https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cF0PjPkEBeXGZqj0_0SKl-H2QE0sCHVIAL07UnD8vzc/edit#heading=h.8yd5cqntxbt3

David: Research around anxiety , finding that if there is an association with a trauma or anxiety, people will avoid or not see the content. Fear based content causes avoidance.

Lisa: Chatting with people. Yes there are common traumas. But there are others that are less common (in dance hall, roof fell in). Other triggers. Interesting space because both common or uncommon triggers.

Lisa: May want to put together a list of common triggers or things to avoid. Sometimes people found that being asked about the trigger also reminded them. So personalization settings, where you can say anything with the triggers, don't ask me. Turn it off or on. Then forget about it.

Better than a warning.

<Fazio> a "triggers" button

<Fazio> Step 1 is reading to get an idea

Rachael: Are we just getting information or are we also pulling together themes?

<JustineP> Rachael mentioned keeping record of document with themes

Lisa: Just putting key findings next to review.
… call out when implied vs what they were testing for.
… then we can gather together.

Justine: Personalization is key. Tricky content. Essentially recommending to website authors to censure content. If a website has spiders and the user is arachnophobic, they can turn off images of spiders.

Rachael: Designing eHealth applications to reduce cognitive effort for persons with severe mental illness: page complexity, navigation simplicity, and comprehensibility.

Lisa: I reviewed Accessing web based healthcare, resources for mental health. Also moved some to not important. First checked against WCAG 2.0. No correlation.
… icons overlapped with WCAG but we shouldn't assume WCAG is sufficient
… beautiful overlap with COGA. Important for us to note that they actually tested WCAG.
… don't have what scope was covered.

Justine: Also reviewed article without putting name next to it. Had similar findings. Also noticed they focused on anxiety and depression.

Conversation around assigning articles

scribe list reminder

put issue paper draft into research template

<JustineP> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/Phase_2_research

Justine: Please put your name next to an article when you start working on it so that we are not repeating. A slow burn action is to put research paper into correct template.

<JustineP> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/Phase_2_research

Justine: we need volunteers.

<JustineP> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/Phase_2_research

discussion of functional needs group.

Rachael: Question about whether Motor function (clumsiness) tics and nonfunctional (and often rhythmic) movements & Stuttering Cluttering falls under mental health, cognitive or other functional area
… should we meet with them?

Lisa: Even coga's functional needs are behind the times.
… originally coga was not looking at mental health
… add to To Do List

I'm not sure how to talk about mental health from the functional needs lense
… yesterday someone described depression as a chronic, pervasive disability that results in the inability to appreciate sunsets

Justine: How can we connect with the functional needs group?


Rachael: Likely talk to Michael Cooper to initiate conversation.

Action: Justine, follow up with Michael Cooper. Rachael and Lisa will follow up at coga planning call

<trackbot> Error finding 'Justine,'. You can review and register nicknames at <https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/track/users>.

address comments in issue paper draft

<JustineP> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1G9SJSiAT-SYDVNxBfwOe7A6VPqsmX4Ua0QT7-NrfQTA/edit#heading=h.uf4tmgrjcioj

Justine: Last piece. Lot of comments in existing issue draft to address in some fashion.

Justine: If you have time to look at comments, it would be helpful. Want to focus on lit review.

Lisa: Suggest doing this as a group

Justine: That is fine. Anything else?

Summary of action items

  1. Justine, follow up with Michael Cooper. Rachael and Lisa will follow up at coga planning call
Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 136 (Thu May 27 13:50:24 2021 UTC).


Maybe present: David, Justine, Lisa