Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

16 June 2021


amy_c, becky, Fazio, Fredrik, janina, JF, Lionel_Wolberger, paul_grenier
janina, Lionel_Wolberger

Meeting minutes

<becky> regrets, Gottfried Zimmerman, Michael Cooper

Agenda Review & Announcements;

janina: Early stage conversations regarding promoting a11y & AT
… A topic raised, is extend the a11y APIs
… Needs keep growing
… pronunciation for example, and automotive WG, XR immersive environments, ARIA discussing same
… if we undertake this, APA would be very involved and it would be a multi-year effort

David: we offer to test

janina: If this is to occur, the next step would be a W3C workshop likely 2022
… These are the Accessibility trees that are exposed to AT: iAccessible2, UIAutomation, atk/atspi...

TPAC Planning https://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC/2021/GroupMeetings

<Fazio> sounds exciting!

Task Force Updates;

janina: RQTF continues to have well-attended meetings (with ASL)

<janina> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Wot_usecases

janina: re-opening the Web of Things use cases
… RQ wanted APA to know, RQ is looking at the Web of Things document
… document the need for a restart in small devices (aka 'get out of jail free')

Joshue108: Automotive TFis trying to develop a best practices document....
… and a vehicle specification that may have a11y implications

<Fazio> sounds interesring

paul_grenier: Pronunciation TF
… still waiting for feedback and working on communications

<Zakim> Lionel_Wolberger, you wanted to discuss personalization

<janina> scribe:

<becky> scirbe: janina

<janina> Lionel_Wolberger: Personalization still wrangling whether we have 3 attributes or 1 ...

<janina> Lionel_Wolberger: Matt and John have been working on it via use cases

Lionel_Wolberger: Still hoping to move to CR soon

<Lionel_Wolberger> Fazio: COGA responded to way finding, mono audio, breadcrumbs, actionable targets

paul_grenier: hitting hard on mental health as well

FAST Progres

Joshue108: Open survey with the FAST user needs, requesting review from APA

<becky> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2021Jun/0009.html

<Fazio> agreed

Discuss Media Stream Content Hints https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2021Jun/0001.html

Lionel_Wolberger: Media Stream Content Hints

Lionel_Wolberger: Provides an optional hint to give consumers info on making choices

Lionel_Wolberger: e.g. your audio codec in a Zoom call, phps a different codec?

Lionel_Wolberger: same for video

Lionel_Wolberger: Content hint definitely helpful for decoders

Lionel_Wolberger: phps should be clearer this could be beneficial to AT users

Lionel_Wolberger: Also, these hints are actually authored, so the hints could be authored with pwd in mind

Lionel_Wolberger: Also, spec makes no mention of support files

Lionel_Wolberger: No support for possibly linked media, e.g. 3rd party described video

becky: Is this hint for people who create/modify UI? How provided to user?

Lionel_Wolberger: Don't think in the UI

becky: not for end users?

Lionel_Wolberger: Yes

becky: so at would take advantage

Lionel_Wolberger: yes

Lionel_Wolberger: not an UI/UX spec, but great impact on UI/UX

Lionel_Wolberger: also thought of 2 use cases not covered ...

Lionel_Wolberger: e.g. video content hints -- motion, you want to preserve display of motion

Lionel_Wolberger: so if motion with transcription/caption, those could become blurry

<Zakim> janina, you wanted to talk about captions

janina: asks about captions, still burned in?

jf: still far too common, e.g. facebook

jf: So agree with this use case

Lionel_Wolberger: suggests can make the observation that we prefer not burned in

<Fazio> good point

jf: Notes it's possible to have the one atop the other--a mess

Lionel_Wolberger: also thinking of ua and dom ...

Lionel_Wolberger: does the aapi pass this on?

Lionel_Wolberger: should we require ua passes hint to aapi

becky: not necessarily the specification's responsibility?

janina: so it's exposed somewhere

Lionel_Wolberger: yes, in the ua player

<Zakim> JF, you wanted to ask about metadata schemes?

jf: perhaps it should be addressed in metadata -- via the containing document

jf: maybe we need to promote a better authoring pattern

Joshue108: at may variously use, or not info from the dom

Joshue108: still variants, the old osm plus aapi still out there

becky: you wouldn't know at the doc level

becky: video may be coming from elsewhere, and containing page wouldn't know

becky: so it has to be part of the stream

jf: good point

jf: maybe embedded in the stream container

[discussion on next steps]

<JF> MP4 files can contain metadata as defined by the format standard, and in addition, can contain Extensible Metadata Platform (XMP) metadata. (source:: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_Part_14)

<JF> Metadata: https://schema.org/MediaObject

Discuss Permissions and Permissions Policy https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2021Apr/0013.html

<JF> Metadata Pt. 3 https://schema.org/caption

<Lionel_Wolberger> becky: Permissions can limit browser features

<Lionel_Wolberger> ... concern that this spec might be too low level

<Lionel_Wolberger> ... APA concern if browser capabilities are turned off

<Lionel_Wolberger> ... since turned off for everyone, it's not an a11y issue

<Lionel_Wolberger> janina: USB can be turned off? What if the AT is relying on USB?

<Lionel_Wolberger> becky: spatial tracking, picture in picture are both in there

<becky> https://www.w3.org/TR/permissions-policy-1/#examples

<Lionel_Wolberger> Lionel_Wolberger: There are examples in the policy spec

<Lionel_Wolberger> becky: Add that implementers should be aware of the possibility of accessibilty features that rely on features that are switched off, e.g. an AT relying on USB

<Lionel_Wolberger> janina: If they are focused on iFrames thats fine

<Lionel_Wolberger> becky: They are talking about cross-browser issues as well

<Lionel_Wolberger> janina: Can we use this to disallow automatic audio auto-play

<Lionel_Wolberger> Lionel says to Janina and becky +1 to no audio and +1 to no auto-play

<Lionel_Wolberger> becky: I will provide the note

CSS Update (Amy) https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues

<Lionel_Wolberger> amy_c: no topics this week from CSS

<Lionel_Wolberger> akim, slose this item

<Fredrik> Thanks for a good meeting!

<Fredrik> Have a great week everyone!

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 136 (Thu May 27 13:50:24 2021 UTC).


Ignored empty command "scribe:"

Maybe present: David, Joshue108