Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

26 May 2021


amy_c, becky, Fredrik, Irfan, janina, JF, Lionel_Wolberger, MichaelC, paul_grenier
David_Fazio, Gottfried_Zimmerman, Ian_Pouncey

Meeting minutes

<Fredrik> Hi everyone! I seem to have my old trouble with my headset again, so I'll be in written form today.

Agenda Review & Announcements

Janina: stock agenda, RAUR published

TPAC Planning

Janina: no specifics on TPAC yet, discussed in RQTF, reminder that we need to think about groups we want to meet,

Task Force Updates

Janina: Pronunciation FPWD is published, have started to get comments, actively seeking comments - esp. from folks who specialize in TTS engines

Janina: Personalization - Lisa has stepped down as co-facilitator and Lionel will co-facilitate with Sharon

Janina: RQTF had a joint meeting with deaf and hard of hearing community about sign language and other implications; They will continue to participate

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/TR/raur/

Josh: Yeah, RAUR is published

Janina: on behalf of group, chairs filed comments on the process updates being considered for Notes and WAI documents

FAST Progress

MichaelC: survey has been a bit stalled, hoping to pick up pieces next week

New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

<MichaelC> https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues/268

MichaelC: PNG working group we looked at a few weeks ago and asked for more info; Michael filed an issue to respond to comments

<JF> +1 Michael

MichaelC: believe color correction and other items are of interest to this group

Janina: believe the draft response is fine, agree with adding a few examples

JF: yes, want to give them a hint of what type of info we are looking for

<MichaelC> https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues/269

MichaelC: Web applications WG

MichaelC: charter is minimally changed from previous one, they are adding a few items and removing a few others

MichaelC: believe no comments need

Janine: agreed

<MichaelC> https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues/271

<Fredrik> The internationalization WGÖ could that be something for pronunciation_

MichaelC: I18n working group; they don't have an APA liason but don't believe it is needed

MichaelC: I18N interest group also recharting; sounds like we can sign off on these charters

Janina: agreed

Janina: we have interest in a charter when their topic is of interest to APA, one example is the area of media, if there are particular features that we want to see added we can have input into the charter scope

Horizontal Review Issues Tracker https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

<Fredrik> Congratulatiosn Lionel_Wolberger !

<Lionel_Wolberger> Lionel_Wolberger: Says to Fredrik, Thank you

<MichaelC> https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/6310

MichaelC: CSS issue about breaking color in HCM

Janina: will ask Amy to track; believe those involved will resolve well

MichaelC: CSS color adjustment; issue with the way system colors are exposed

<MichaelC> https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5710

MichaelC: Shielding system colors to avoid fingerprinting?

MichaelC: believe we want to track it but do we want to more?

Janina: yes to tracking

MichaelC: is there anyone we can recruit for color, some people suggested

MichaelC: I will watch for now and we will track

Michaelc: above is filed twice: color adjustment and color module

<MichaelC> https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/6040

Clarification on use of the term "speak-as" and possible alternatives

MichaelC: we will track and ask Lisa

MichaelC: to take a look

<MichaelC> https://github.com/w3c/html-aria/issues/318

MichaelC: 3 aria and HTML issues - I believe two are already closed

Should <iframe> support role=dialog?

MichaelC: Steve Faulkner and Cynthia Shelly have been commenting on it

<MichaelC> https://github.com/w3c/html-aria/issues/319

MichaelC: APA will not track - no need

Should <img> support role=figure?

<MichaelC> https://github.com/w3c/html-aria/issues/317

MichaelC: also being tracked by a11y folks, no need to track

MichaelC: same fo issue 317 - being tracked by a11y folks, no need to track

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

MichaelC: 4 today

MichaelC: CSS color adjustment level 1, believe we want to review

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/TR/css-color-adjust-1/

amy_c: I will review

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/TR/device-posture/

MichaelC: device posture api, api to allow web apps to be notified of posture of foldable device

paul_grenier: This is the same specification that I read and APA commented upon

MichaelC: has been renamed from screen fold api - which we already have tracking for

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/TR/webgpu/

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/TR/WGSL/

MichaelC: web gpu and web gpu shading language - 2 related

MichaelC: api related to graphics processing unit - seems very low level, seem we can skip tracking

Lionel_Wolberger: seems to be focused on processing unit

Janina: agree that no need to track

CSS Update & Comment Feedback (Amy) https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues

<Fredrik> Hooray!

amy_c: I finally officially part of CSS group

amy_c: our comments on multicolumn have been addressed - draft has been updated

<amy_c> https://github.com/w3c/a11y-request/issues/2

<amy_c> https://github.com/w3c/a11y-request/issues/3

amy_c: will look at CSS color Adjust but can't assign the issue to myself

<amy_c> https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues/17

amy_c: CSS fonts module level 4 - had comments on font glyphs; what to clarify the need to alt text

amy_c: I'll suggest that it needs alternative text when glyph is used for other than it's assigned unicode value

Janina: agreed

<amy_c> https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues/37

amy_c: reviewed overscroll behavior module level 1

<amy_c> https://www.w3.org/TR/css-overscroll-1/

amy_c: would like to get input AT users how overridng scroll behavior affects them

amy_c: another example is pull to refresh and also infinite scroll

paul_grenier: when browser is zoomed scrolling is much more prevalent and hijacking the zoom can create problems

Janina: I can't think of examples

paul_grenier: I wonder if this is a better replacement for scroll padding

paul_grenier: this may allow scroll positioning to prevent fixed content from overwriting other content

paul_grenier: sounds like we should probably watch this;

amy_c: was last updated in Feb 2021

amy_c: agrees we should watch; perhaps close this ticket until request for a formal review?

janina: sounds reasonable

Lionel_Wolberger: seems to enforce concept of "page"

general discussion of infinite scroll

JF: mentions impact of infinite scroll on keyboard users

amy_c: will add a note that we want to watch this spec

Janina: may want to include concerns about keyboard

MichaelC: we can mark it as deferred on our apa page and those interested should follow the issue

irfan: Pronunciation has submitted to AHG conference

<Fredrik> Happy holidays and happy weekend everyone! Thanks!

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 131 (Sat Apr 24 15:23:43 2021 UTC).


Succeeded: s/review/track

Succeeded: s/refesh/refresh

Maybe present: Janine, Josh