19 May 2021


Cristiano_Aguzzi, Daniel_Peintner, Ege_Korkan, Kaz_Ashimura, Kunihiko_Toumura, Michael_Koster, Michael_Lagally, Michael_McCool, Ryuichi_Matsukura, Sebastian_Kaebisch, Tetsushi_Matsuda, Tomoaki_Mizushima, Zoltan_Kis

Meeting minutes


McCool: we have the time schedule for the f2f
… also some other minor updates from liaisons
… any other updates to the agenda?
… ok no guest

invited experts

McCool: we have a new invited expert application from the university of Vienna
… he will probably be active in discovery and he might contribute to the TD


<kaz> May-12

McCool: minor problems with Dave speach

McCool: do we already have the end date for Schaeffler membership?
… not sure if the invited experts are reached by mail

Kaz: they have a dedicated archive and mailing list

McCool: going on, we discussed the liked data stuff
… we might talk about that later
… also we touched the smart cities workshop

Kaz: there was a typo and I've just fixed

McCool: today we are going to review and publish TD document

McCool: minutes are good, any updates or fixes?
… ok we will publish them

quick updates


McCool: I did some work on signatures for TDs
… it seems that the only candidate is xml Signatures
… the only problem is that they are xml not json
… my plan is to get inspired from them and report the same machanism to json
… about hashing and singing algorithms we'll pick two to cover requirements from different countries
… we need the ability to canonicolize TD fragments or Partial TD to be enable signing
… an alternative is to use json pointers instead of canonicalize TD fragments
… anyhow I am close to a final PR about signing
… the overall plan is to have a signature block and support different signing solutions
… for example we can support LDS in the future
… any comments?

smart cites workshop

McCool: the deadline is now over
… we still need more cites

Kaz: yeah

McCool: did we get a proposal from singapore?

Kaz: not yet

<mjk> If we are planning to use a list (array) of JSON pointers to select TD elements for signing, the list can be used to order the TD. A list containing all of the TD elements would help to canonicalize the TD.

McCool: we got a good coverage of standards and frameworks, the only thing left is more coverage for cites

McCool: Andrea has a pitch about ontologies and Sebastian about orchestration
… how long should be the presentation?

Kaz: I am thinking about 5 min and for pre-recorded video, we expect all the submitters use the W3C zoom to record their presentation, so I could create a doodle to identify their preferred slot.

McCool: why don't we plan to have draft ready for june 1st
… so that we can armonize our presentations for the 11th

test fest

<kaz> Testfest wiki

<kaz> GitHub repo

Ege: I updated the readme
… we had a short call

McCool: We can continue today

Ege: I cannot join the first half of the call

McCool: ok maybe we could reschule cause the td call will be just one hour long


McCool: We had a doodle but not many people answered
… so we will try to set a tentative day and maybe people will complain if that doesn't work

<McCool> https://doodle.com/poll/p7dher5i2umr4ap8

McCool: if you have any problem with the schedule above use the doodle to propose your availability
… we should work on the proposed topics
… I alredy fixed 3hours for discovery

McCool: ml do you have any topics for arch?

<kaz> vF2F wiki

Lagally: We have also profiles

McCool: adding that
… also liaison and marketing as topics

resolutions planned

<kaz> PR 1145 - Changelog for 2nd WD

<kaz> PR 1142 - Update abstract and introduction section

change logs

McCool: we plan a resolution for today to finalize TD
… but before that we have to merge two PRs both informative
… we still had namespace problems because we have to wait for the CR before allocating them
… you had some comments, Sebastian

Sebatian: yeah there were some confusing sentences
… like error fixing that should not be there

McCool: why don't we merge and then we fix it later, right before the publication?

McCool: ok, I'll merge it as it is
… any objections?
… we'll do a resolution after Sebastian's edits
… ok?
… merged

abstract edits

McCool: sebastian added a sentence in the abstract about Thing Model
… it is fine but it has a minor error

Sebatian: I added also new sections to have better structure

McCool: is there a name space for tm?

Sebatian: yes there is but is embedded in the main td context file

McCool: can you define security metadate with thing models ?

Sebatian: yes, you can

McCool: it would be better if the examples explain template keywords

Kaz: about namespaces, would be better to have a preliminary discussion to solve the issue.

McCool: maybe an editor note would be fine

Sebatian: there is a note now

McCool: ok I think we'll use it also for discovery

Kaz: in any case it would be good to have a preliminary discussion with Philippe and Ralph

McCool: don't forget to add the discovery namespace

McCool: any objections to merging pr 1142?

<McCool> proposal: publish update to TD 1.1 WD as given in https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/tree/wd-update-candidate

Resolution: publish update to TD 1.1 WD as given in https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/tree/wd-update-candidate

publication status

<kaz> Use Cases and Requirements Note

McCool: use case document is published
… discovery is in progress
… it is going to be published soon


Kaz: echonet is planning to contribute to use cases and plug fest
… I am trying to clarify an actual schedule for their contributions

McCool: it would be good to have their feedback before TPAC so that we can do adjustments
… any news from CDD?

Kaz: I met with them last week
… we need to get in touch with ISO TC184/SC4 who defines concrete ontology for industries
… we are going to have another call with the authors

McCool: eclass are going to have a presentation for Smart Cities workshop

Sebatian: not really news from there

TF reports

McCool: any news from the TF?

Daniel: script call cancelled next week

Sebatian: today I am not able to moderate the TD meeting
… only one hour
… taki will be the moderator

Kaz: the call will start at the usual time

<kaz> [Plugfest call right after this call; TD call right after the Plugfest call for 1 hour]

Sebatian: note regading thing description round trip, it turned out there's a bug in json-ld spec
… now is fixed

<sebastian> https://github.com/w3c/json-ld-api/issues/514

Sebatian: they also had to issue an errata

McCool: good, it might affect canonicalization

<kaz> [adjourned]

Summary of resolutions

  1. publish update to TD 1.1 WD as given in https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/tree/wd-update-candidate
Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 131 (Sat Apr 24 15:23:43 2021 UTC).