Cognitive and Learning Disabilities Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

13 May 2021


JustineP, Rain, Jennie, LisaSeemanKest, Fazio, Albert, JohnRochford, MichaelC, cweidner, johnkirkwood
Steve, Roy, rachael and Kris anne


<LisaSeemanKest> https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG22/

<LisaSeemanKest> scribe: Jennie

*Nope, just a woman that can type quickly (smile)

<LisaSeemanKest> next item

<JohnRochford> Jennie is my scribing hero too!

Lisa: WCAG 2.2 went out for review

<LisaSeemanKest> W3C WAI invites you to review the updated Working Draft of WCAG 2.2 at:

<LisaSeemanKest> https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG22/

<LisaSeemanKest> This Working Draft is ready for wide review before finalizing WCAG 2.2.

<LisaSeemanKest> The WCAG 2.2 draft includes 9 new success criteria since WCAG 2.1. They are introduced in:

<LisaSeemanKest> What's New in WCAG 2.2 Working Draft

<LisaSeemanKest> https://www.w3.org/WAI/standards-guidelines/wcag/new-in-22/

<JohnRochford> +1

Lisa: Does anyone want to speak to that?

MichaelC: We published a version last August for wide review
... We have gotten through the comments, and this incorporates those comments
... Did we address the comments well enough?
... At this point - major revisions are not on the table
... Guidance missing is for 2.3 or 3.0

JohnRochford: Accessible authentication is part of 2.2
... If there are calls for commentary COGA should submit some in support

Lisa: Is it helpful to say we like the COGA ones?

MichaelC: That is not an actionable comment.
... I suggest that if there are specific success criteria of interest - we can monitor specific ones in terms of the comments
... We can make a wiki page, and a comment does something you don't like, then it would be worth countering that comment

Lisa: Near the end of the commenting period we could review the comments
... I will add that
... Review comments on WCAG 2.2
... In about a month?

MichaelC: The due date for comments is June 11th

Lisa: Around June 11th we will do that.
... I'm adding this to our list of things to do with other groups
... Thank you

<LisaSeemanKest> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/PlanningPage#Actions

Lisa: Now we are looking at the planning page, the actions ...1st: mental health subgroup
... Setting up the first meeting

Fazio: I'm creating a Doodle poll to see what works best for people

Lisa: (lists the people interested)
... Please send it to the COGA list
... We also have some recruiting to do
... I know that the image subgroup is moving along
... Jennie was tasked with scheduling a call for the WCAG 3 subgroup

Rain: I am realizing there is a lot of interest in the mental health group
... Since I'm on others, please remove me from the mental health subgroup
... I can track it down on the wiki

Lisa: it might be in a few places

<Zakim> Rain, you wanted to ask that I step off the mental health subgroup since I'm on the others as well

Jennie: I will connect with those on the WCAG 3 subgroup to be sure we get a date on the calendar firmed up

Lisa: Albert has the first version of his document
... I resent it in an email with a different subject line to get more attention to it
... I have also added it to the agenda

<LisaSeemanKest> https://docs.google.com/document/d/10IB2vpDH5EE8Xp4_SbXEO7MA4fy0m9bQAZnUNpWE_WA/edit#

Lisa: This is for people that are new, or have questions

*Glad you are working on this Albert!

Lisa: group members please add any questions you feel might be helpful to this document

<Rain> +1

Lisa: Steve is working on the web changes

<LisaSeemanKest> https://docs.google.com/document/d/10IB2vpDH5EE8Xp4_SbXEO7MA4fy0m9bQAZnUNpWE_WA/edit#

Lisa: Now we are discussing the actions request
... David and John K - you are working on the augmented reality
... Did you manage to review all of it?

Fazio: We have not gone through the entire document yet
... They have questions about the comments

Lisa: You probably want to review the entire document

Fazio: Yes, we are working on it

Lisa: They are on pause for us, so it is urgent
... Do you need help?

JohnKirkwood: It is pretty sizeable, but I am not sure who might be available

Lisa: It is a list of requirements for augmentative reality

JohnRochford: I have a colleague that specializes in this area, but she is not available
... I don't have expertise in this area

Lisa: Anyone else interested?
... I did write to Jamie at the BBC

<Albert> Which team are we talking about?

Jennie will reach out to the group from the XR access symposium to see if anyone has expertise and interest to help

<LisaSeemanKest> next item

Lisa: Michael has asked us to get a scope for each subgroup
... and give it a home page
... If you are focused on a particular subgroup, you can bookmark this page

<LisaSeemanKest> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/Subgroups/Mental_Health

Lisa: Starting with the mental health page
... (reads the text on the page)

<LisaSeemanKest> The Mental Health Subgroup are working on a research module on Web accessibility for mental health.

<LisaSeemanKest> This may result in new user stories, user needs, patterns and other guidance in Making content usable for people with cognitive and learning disabilities

<Fazio> I think it'ss sufficient

<LisaSeemanKest> +1

Suggest replacing "are" with "is"

<JustineP> +1

<cweidner> +1

<johnkirkwood> +1

<Fazio> +1

<Rain> +1 and add a period at the end of the final sentence


Will group members be able to go in and edit those pages?

Lisa: I think people can.

Rain: I will check

*Suggestion: group members on the subgroups can verify they have editing writes, post to the list if they do not

Lisa: I put a July date for the first draft
... Ask Roy and Michael if you need editing rights

<LisaSeemanKest> next item

Lisa: The WCAG 3 Coordination group

<JohnRochford> BRB. Will be listening.

<LisaSeemanKest> WCAG 3 Coordination in working on turning user stories and other guidance in Making content usable for people with cognitive and learning disabilities into the Silver format and help get it though the wcag 3/ silver process

<LisaSeemanKest> Note that different people will be involved for each user story / silver guideline

Lisa: Prioritization of the items will be in the main group

<LisaSeemanKest> +1


<Rain> +1

<johnkirkwood> +1

<JustineP> +1

*Thanks Rain!

<LisaSeemanKest> next item

Lisa: Scope for the images subgroup is next

<LisaSeemanKest> The Images Sub Group will make images to help people understand the objectives and patterns in Making content usable for people with cognitive and learning disabilities


<LisaSeemanKest> +1

<JustineP> +1

<Rain> +1 and I can help keep this up to date, too

<Fazio> +1

<johnkirkwood> +1

<cweidner> +21

<LisaSeemanKest> next item

Lisa: We have some recruiting to do
... 1st tab is groups and people, 2nd tab is community
... John K has suggested the Brain Injury Association
... Jennie is suggesting the state of Minnesota staff working in mental health
... I suggested the Cost Astep network
... Jennie has suggested the National Alliance on Mental Health

<Albert> National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)

* thanks Albert!

Lisa: I think we may need a bit more

<Albert> https://www.verywellmind.com/leading-mental-health-charities-and-organizations-4147842

Lisa: Albert - is there someone there you want to reach out to?

*Albert is on mute?

<Albert> can you not hear me?


Albert: That link I shared has leading mental health charities and organizations
... How do we reach out?

Lisa: Normally we reach out for a more aggressive look at a topic
... I wouldn't put that on the FAQs

Is this helpful? Draft email: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DoohB2-tREjXx7PF6sCi3jLt6OrjE1ciAb0Dcb7FgyU/edit#heading=h.y2s7r73z4e90

Lisa: Jennie added the link for the Google doc where we draft an email
... If you have a suggestion of someone you think we should recruit, add it to the spreadsheet
... We ask for any objections
... We go over it the next week in the call
... If no objections, you send it to your contact

Jennie: can you add the contact information into the draft emails in the Google doc?

Lisa: Yes. I will add a signature line
... I will add the comments email address

<LisaSeemanKest> next item

<LisaSeemanKest> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-cognitive-a11y-tf/2021Apr/0050.html

Lisa: Next we are talking about the methodology
... When we did the first module we had people from universities involved. They did a literary review
... Mental health is a bit harder than other areas - it fluctuates
... Conditions change
... Research repeated after a period like 5 years of time, the results find differences
... Some links have expired
... We might want to consider where something is published
... Last time we had 2 red flags ...1: commercial research that implies the use of proprietary products
... This doesn't mean it would be excluded, but we need to review those carefully
... And if members of the task force are aware of contradictory evidence

<LisaSeemanKest> https://w3c.github.io/coga/user-research/#methodology-in-user-research

Lisa: We did not receive reports of trouble with certain things, though some people reported that they just don't go online or avoid
... We could pick up a bit on the methodology of asking why and when people avoid certain online activities
... What do we want to change with the methodology?
... My proposal: add a sentence that indicates that we are aware that information changes
... I can draft a sentence
... Any comments?
... Proposal 1: capture sources and references, and critically look at the credentials

<LisaSeemanKest> capture the sources and refrences, and critily loo at the credials of where it is published and by wholme

<LisaSeemanKest> 2. add a sentice the topic is hard to have long term reserch

<LisaSeemanKest> 3. revilate when we have acedemic input

<JustineP> +1

<cweidner> +1

Lisa: Are we happy with this direction, and we can re-evaluate in a month or 2 when we have more academic input?

<Rain> +1

<johnkirkwood> +1

Lisa: Any objections?
... Are there any objections to (Lisa can you add in name?)

<LisaSeemanKest> hebrew unversity

<LisaSeemanKest> can i reach out to them?

<Rain> +1

Lisa: Any objections?

<johnkirkwood> +1

<cweidner> +1

<JustineP> +1

Lisa: I think that is what we can do for now

<LisaSeemanKest> next item

Albert: talking about the FAQs

<LisaSeemanKest> faq's X

Albert: I don't know the answers to the FAQs

<LisaSeemanKest> https://docs.google.com/document/d/10IB2vpDH5EE8Xp4_SbXEO7MA4fy0m9bQAZnUNpWE_WA/edit#

Albert: I know we will record the next orientation meeting

Lisa: Yes. Once we have the information finalized here we can move it to the wiki
... If group members want to add questions, that would be great
... Think about what your questions were when you joined
... Especially newer members, as it may be easier to remember
... For members that have been members for longer, it is also helpful to have you add questions

<JustineP> Definitely can think of a few questions. Will take a look.

Lisa: If you have answers to questions, that would be helpful as well
... I have added in some new questions.

<LisaSeemanKest> https://docs.google.com/document/d/10IB2vpDH5EE8Xp4_SbXEO7MA4fy0m9bQAZnUNpWE_WA/edit#

Lisa: this is for groups that want to work with us - it is on making inclusive working groups
... as a participant or as a chair, what would make it easier for you to participate with the W3C?
... Some of these things have been addressed. If we can capture those things, it would be a useful resource.
... What tips do we want to give chairs inside the W3C.
... this one is from our group
... MichaelC is working on a general one, and Jennie will help with that one
... We could also add examples (going back to the COGA tips)

Rain: I would be happy to take a look and add notes and examples

<LisaSeemanKest> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RbjN7fLaucSzVfTqQdoCHoX3GFEoyHz2iiz3ap9Yd6k/edit#

<Zakim> Rain, you wanted to say that I'd be happy to take a look and add notes and examples

Justine: I would be happy to take a look as well

Lisa: If anyone else wants to, they are welcome
... It would help me to know what else could help make things work better

JohnKirkWood: I would be willing to look as well

Albert: Me too

Lisa: Thank you
... We do have a meeting next week

<scribe> scribe: Jennie

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.200 (CVS log)
$Date: 2021/05/13 15:04:22 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision VERSION of 2020-12-31
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Default Present: JustineP, Rain, Jennie, LisaSeemanKest, Fazio, Albert, JohnRochford, MichaelC, cweidner, johnkirkwood
Present: JustineP, Rain, Jennie, LisaSeemanKest, Fazio, Albert, JohnRochford, MichaelC, cweidner, johnkirkwood

WARNING: Replacing previous Regrets list. (Old list: Steve and Kris anne)
Use 'Regrets+ ... ' if you meant to add people without replacing the list,
such as: <dbooth> Regrets+ Steve, Roy and Kris anne

WARNING: Replacing previous Regrets list. (Old list: Steve, Roy and Kris anne)
Use 'Regrets+ ... ' if you meant to add people without replacing the list,
such as: <dbooth> Regrets+ Steve, Roy, rachael and Kris anne

Regrets: Steve, Roy, rachael and Kris anne
Found Scribe: Jennie
Inferring ScribeNick: Jennie
Found Scribe: Jennie
Inferring ScribeNick: Jennie

WARNING: No "Topic:" lines found.

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 13 May 2021
People with action items: 

WARNING: No "Topic: ..." lines found!  
Resulting HTML may have an empty (invalid) <ol>...</ol>.

Explanation: "Topic: ..." lines are used to indicate the start of 
new discussion topics or agenda items, such as:
<dbooth> Topic: Review of Amy's report

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]