Cognitive and Learning Disabilities Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

29 April 2021


cweidner, johnkirkwood, krisannekinney

Meeting minutes

<LisaSeemanKest> regrets jenny

<LisaSeemanKest> regrets, jenny

<LisaSeemanKest> agenad+ actions and updates https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/PlanningPage#Timelines_and_actions

<LisaSeemanKest> close item 1

<LisaSeemanKest> regrets, jenny, EA

<Rachael> I am on the silver call but Many many congratulations to the group on publication!

<LisaSeemanKest> small meeting so dession need to go to the list as well

<LisaSeemanKest> next item

<johnkirkwood> small meeting

<johnkirkwood> LS: Jenny and Rain and JK working on image subbroup.

<johnkirkwood> Rain: selected 3 patterns to start with

<johnkirkwood> … putting together slide deck this week with three examples

<johnkirkwood> Rain: finalizing images to designer, jenny connecting with Michael Cooper find out how the images will be implemented in doc to conform with structure required

<johnkirkwood> Rain: we had questions about timeline

<johnkirkwood> … Jenny will try to connect with you Lisa

<johnkirkwood> LS: one comment might want to look at granularity of user stories

<johnkirkwood> LS: our first thing with Silver will be at user story level, not married to it and can change it around

<johnkirkwood> LS: will stop doing repetive aspect of same thing

<johnkirkwood> LS: user needs similar granularity to pattern, might be easier and have same affectiveness

<johnkirkwood> LS: to go from pattern to user story

<johnkirkwood> LS: online version of guide

<johnkirkwood> LS: publish this version, not most usable. want to make a web version as well, put in images as natural integration point

<johnkirkwood> LS: two publication points. one is the web online version that Steve is working on, published when ready

<johnkirkwood> … might be 3 weeks or year might make version 2 befre

<johnkirkwood> … there is all integration online

<johnkirkwood> Version 2 of this note in at least a year or probably two

<LisaSeemanKest> maybe version 1.1

<johnkirkwood> … might be a version 1.1 as well if make lots of changes

<johnkirkwood> Rain: as we are creating these, if possibly have note at earlier stage?

<johnkirkwood> LS: yes we could on github and the wiki

<johnkirkwood> LS: we can just do that with wiki, lots of links to it

<johnkirkwood> Rain: John Jenny and I can talk about it

<johnkirkwood> LS: jenny and i reviewed EO videos

<johnkirkwood> … we had similar comments

<johnkirkwood> LS: both felt COGA centric ones needed more input

<johnkirkwood> LS: its catered to studens and learning disabilites

<johnkirkwood> LS: can add it as issue in next version

<johnkirkwood> LS: David and John and user needs. John send email to David and send to list.

<LisaSeemanKest> next item

<johnkirkwood> Krias Anne: EO did not have a meeting past friday, nothing to add. survey sent to group

<johnkirkwood> LS: got 3 feedback from group

<johnkirkwood> Kris Anne: didn’t see feedback

<johnkirkwood> … its completed

<johnkirkwood> LS: we have XR one from APA and Silver pending waitng for OK from Jan to start

<johnkirkwood> Kris Anne: after long meeting today will get back

<johnkirkwood> LS: writing guideline for findable help

<johnkirkwood> LS: will put you in as well

<LisaSeemanKest> next item

<johnkirkwood> LS: reach out to communities with different cognitive and learning disabilites, what are there challenges when do they give up

<johnkirkwood> LS: open to discussion of next steps, draft email to sent to reach out to groups for input, fact we just published helps. What is missing etc. We can draft and people can change it

<Rain_> +1 as well

<johnkirkwood> +1

<johnkirkwood> LS: first option to draft an email, maybe as a google doc.

<johnkirkwood> agree on the draft email

<johnkirkwood> LS: reach out to different communities

<johnkirkwood> LS: how would you tweek those steps

<johnkirkwood> think a spread sheet that captures differnt communities

<johnkirkwood> LS: that a good idea

<johnkirkwood> LS: which groups are under sampled

<johnkirkwood> Rain: regarding email to say and engage in community, being versy specific in our request

<johnkirkwood> … on task force, advisory group, how much time, regularly read something?

<johnkirkwood> LS: i was asking to read document and see what is missing

<johnkirkwood> LS: like a one time question i was thinking

<johnkirkwood> Rain: maybe offer a couple of differnt asks

<johnkirkwood> Rain: wheas being availble for half an hour on a meeting might be les dauning

<johnkirkwood> LS: lets offer both

<johnkirkwood> LS: maybe join meeting on an issue or join TF

Action: draft email and create spreadsheet

<trackbot> Error finding 'draft'. You can review and register nicknames at <https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/track/users>.

<johnkirkwood> spreadsheet to fill out maybe work on XAR this week

<LisaSeemanKest> next item

<johnkirkwood> LS: first is scope

<johnkirkwood> LS: web accessibility but also when it can be harmful

<johnkirkwood> LS: main emphasis on web accessibility and some on harm

<LisaSeemanKest> main emphasis is web accessibility with secondary ed designs and web content that can do harm (such as addictive)

<Rain_> +1

<johnkirkwood> LS: do you like proposal

<johnkirkwood> +1

<cweidner_> Do we feel like we have the right expertise in house to be prescriptive about harm?

<johnkirkwood> Rain: this reminds me of dark patterns and trying to have more inclusive technology

<johnkirkwood> Rain: vulnerablity of people being taken advantage of, such as addictive images, triggers, intentional introduce things that may not realize being taken advantage of

<johnkirkwood> LS: mental health we did an issue paper with cyber unit of Israeli police force didn’t want to give a list of what to do

<johnkirkwood> LS: said to include concerns without being too explicit

<johnkirkwood> LS: intrinsically know, but with mental health we may need to recruit a bit more as well

<LisaSeemanKest> main emphasis is web accessibility with secondary emphasis on designs and web content that can do harm (such as addictive)

<johnkirkwood> LS: do we like the idea of web accessibility with a secondary emphaes on design patterns that can do harm?

<LisaSeemanKest> +1

<Rain_> +1

<johnkirkwood> +1

<cweidner_> +1

<krisannekinney> +1

<johnkirkwood> LS: what groups are we focusing on we have a lot on depressing anxiety and trauma, social anxiety? personality disorder? othes dissassociation disorder, psychosis

<johnkirkwood> … impulse control, eating disorders?

<johnkirkwood> LS: not sure how it works need input

<johnkirkwood> LS: worried about framing to not do harm

<johnkirkwood> Rain: wondering if want to do similar approach to how cognitive elements, from the challenge person is having rather than the diagnosis

<johnkirkwood> Rain: such as social anxiety, the stories rather than diagnosis

<johnkirkwood> LS: plus one to that

<johnkirkwood> +1

<johnkirkwood> LS: for full recruiting, lots of intersectionality

<johnkirkwood> Rain: starting mental health maybe

<johnkirkwood> LS: can do a band of recruiting

<LisaSeemanKest> + nero cognative

<johnkirkwood> LS: social anxiety

<johnkirkwood> LS: broad scope of expertise would be helpful and see how we do after recruiting

<johnkirkwood> LS: people happy with that?

<johnkirkwood> LS: draft another email asking people

<johnkirkwood> LS: mental health research community

<johnkirkwood> LS: and real people in community that have the issues

<cweidner_> +1

<Rain_> +1

<johnkirkwood> LS: my feeling is that’s the most important group

<johnkirkwood> +1

<johnkirkwood> ChrisWeidner: how have recruited in past?

<johnkirkwood> LS: wrote to organization of main groups to see, but didn’t always a great response

<johnkirkwood> Chris: thinking need to task within W3C or outside

<johnkirkwood> LS: outside

<johnkirkwood> LS: but there may be inside as well

<johnkirkwood> Chris: if outside, Understood has partnered with MTV might have opportunity to share messaging aournd need

<johnkirkwood> LS: need database for recruiting, any addition suggestions for recruiting?

<johnkirkwood> LS: we will send an email for mental health recruiting

<johnkirkwood> LS anyone willing to help?

<johnkirkwood> LS: mental health subgroup is a possibility

<johnkirkwood> LS: next thing decide to agree on methodology is important, such as dark patterns

<johnkirkwood> LS: lat 5 minutes toasting

<johnkirkwood> cheers!!!

<johnkirkwood> LS: it is historic!

<Rain_> toasting with my coffee!

<cweidner_> Have to drop everyone. Thanks you and congratulations again!

Summary of action items

  1. draft email and create spreadsheet
Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 131 (Sat Apr 24 15:23:43 2021 UTC).


Succeeded: s/emphsis/emphasis

Succeeded: s/understood/Understood