Cognitive and Learning Disabilities Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

22 April 2021


Albert, cweidner, jasonjgw, Jennie, johnkirkwood, JustineP, Rain, Roy, stevelee

Meeting minutes

<LisaSeemanKest> ircagent, publish minuet

<LisaSeemanKest> Scope for mental health research module (see metal health email

<LisaSeemanKest> <https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-cognitive-a11y-tf/2021Apr/0026.html>

<LisaSeemanKest> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/PlanningPage#Actions

<LisaSeemanKest> close item 4

<Fazio> preseent+

actions and updates: https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/PlanningPage#Timelines_and_actions

<LisaSeemanKest> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/Actions_Requests

Lisa: Made new page regarding action requests to help track/coordinate our work with other groups.
… idea is to track requests, owner, deadlines, in such a way that everyone can access the information. If anything is wrong, please suggest a correction.
… left a space to request action/review task force members
… Google docs is easier to write in, but this forum is easier for screen reader users so it might be a better option
… you don't need to edit it, please ask Roy/Lisa if you need to have an edit made. Any objections?

<Fazio> works for me

Lisa: this might also replace the doc for other coordination issues. Might be replaced in 6 months simply by joining the other groups.
… EO requested a review of their scripts. Please take a look and submit feedback this week. A survey is available for people to give feedback.

<LisaSeemanKest> https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/1/WCAGvideos_batch1thorough/

Justine: Reviewed the first three scripts and submitted feedback on the third one

Jennie: Can I confirm a deadline of the 27th?

Lisa: Yes.

David: They are more like loose screen calls than scripts.

Jennie: I can hold time on Monday morning to review and submit.

Lisa: Okay, you can submit on your behalf rather than on behalf of COGA. I will also review if I have time.

<Fazio> XAUR

Lisa: APA has virtual reality augmentation draft. If we have specific changes, they will address.
… did anyone offer to look at the doc/review?

David: I missed yesterday's meeting.
… I intend to review depending on my availability

<johnkirkwood> DAvid you and i can touchbase on it as well

Lisa: Thanks, send to the list if you are able to review within the next week.

John K: David, let's touch base as I've done some work with AR/VR.

Lisa: Great. We can send feedback to COGA list and then share with Janina.
… Rachael, do we have an action item with Silver?

Rachael: We have an all day event on the 29th during which we will review conformance. We'll be on hold with subgroup until we have a clear result. I think we are supposed to prioritize based on Content Usable.

Lisa: I think we wanted to focus on user stories/help first.

Rachael: Makes sense. Someone should let Jan know.
… do we know who is interested in working with subgroup?

Lisa: If I remember correctly, John K, Rain, and Jennie were interested. David do you want to be involved?
… focusing on user story regarding help and putting into template.

David: wasn't me

Rachael: I would send a note to each of those individuals.

<LisaSeemanKest> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/Actions_Requests

Lisa: Anyone liaising from COGA, please make sure your actions are listed in the table.

<LisaSeemanKest> next item

Lisa: Jason is the facilitator of an APA task force working on research questions.
… synergy between task forces should be stronger. Let's pull them in when we have a need for research. Likewise, they can request our assistance (e.g., user needs list)

Jason: Task force is part of the APA working group. I am a co-facilitator and happy to provide an overview of our activities.
… purpose of task force is to investigate issues that require research and discussion that arise from APA's review of draft specs.
… task force can also accept requests from other groups. We've accepted issues from Silver, primary purpose is to inform development of upcoming W3C technology specs.
… It includes literature reviews, discussions, and preparation of W3C notes. Real time communication is important and its making its way into web browsers/web apps which is the reason the task force developed user requirements doc which is close to completion.
… CfC was recently released for formal note status and we are processing issues submitted in response to the CfC.
… now is the time to engage on any issues. XR user requirements is a similar doc that addresses VR/augmented reality. It was inspired by W3C standardization efforts.
… Also was a W3C workshop on immersive web technologies last year. In addition, the task force is examining issues of media synchronization (time requirements) including audio, video, captions, descriptions...and is a matter of literature review and documenting findings.
… Another line is related to accessibility of remote meetings. Its a broad documentation attempt to determine requirements for making remote meetings accessible. Probably will not result in a W3C note and is more likely to find its way into other working groups' deliverables.
… It has a broader scope which includes those developing and using media applications. Scope is broader than RTC user requirements document.
… Early work is also underway for a W3C note that would capture natural language-based user interfaces including text-based interactive interfaces, spoken interaction, etc.
… Intention is to produce a note track deliverable. We've received COGA task force input within the last few weeks. Not yet ready for a public working draft though.
… That's a summary of work that's underway and its tied to W3C's technical specs efforts, upcoming technologies, changing to existing tech/specs, and intended to inform APA working group as well as W3C technology devt. working groups
… Work can inform other groups such as EO and AGWG. Primary focus is on APA spec review and devt. process.

<LisaSeemanKest> mental health: current work - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1G9SJSiAT-SYDVNxBfwOe7A6VPqsmX4Ua0QT7-NrfQTA/edit#heading=h.uf4tmgrjcioj , methofolgy - https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-cognitive-a11y-tf/2021Apr/0050.html and

Jason: Questions?

Lisa: Thank you, Jason. Apologies for mix-up on timeline for your presentation. All of these topics that you raised, COGA has a unique perspective (e.g., natural language processing simplification)
… a 80-90% success rate can be a failure from our perspective. We would like to get involved. Jason, we need a mechanism to ensure we know when an early document is ready for review.
… We also write issue papers, have research modules that we are looking to update. Next topics will be mental health and reaching out to COGA-related communities for feedback.
… We also have two other issue papers: conversational interfaces which has a large overlap with RTC paper, and other is wayfinding. Are those of interest to you? Would also like to discuss mental health topics, methodology, and scope.

<LisaSeemanKest> +1 to jennies question

Jennie: When you begin working on research paper, do you reach out to task forces to discuss specific areas of concern before writing begins?

Jason: Let's start with coordination arrangements. At this point, the task forces discusses in the early stages whether to take note-track course, define topic/requirements, which leads to early draft that evolves over time.

Task force activities are discussed during APA working group meetings. Seems to be the appropriate mechanism for coordination. For other groups not directly part of APA, those communications are less formal including through review of first public working drafts.
… At that point, the public has the opportunity to submit comments. Questions?

Lisa: In AG, there's an awareness that we don't coordinate enough. We are working to address. It makes sense to pull in APA...Rachael, thoughts?

Rachael: Janina and Becky have already been in those meetings. We are trying to figure out how to work with APA.

Jason: Being involved in a task force that is part of APA includes communication, public documents, etc.

Lisa: Also great that you join us because some people in COGA weren't aware of the task force. COGA, if you hear of Jason working on research/papers please add to action table.

David: Just looked at the Wiki and I might end up sending edits to you, Lisa.

Lisa: Jason, maybe we should list concerns/questions to be included in your research.

Jason: On RTC work, there are W3C groups that need output quite quickly so work has been prioritized. COGA's comments came up during task force discussion this week. In some cases, we weren't sure about requirement that was commented on so rapid resolution of comments would be helpful.
… The XR user requirements doc is also heading toward note status but is a second priority so has more time to receive comments.
… Note that in both cases, additional issues/requirements following publication might result in development of new versions of the note.

<Fazio> we participated

Jason: Natural language interfaces doc is also at an early stage so plenty of opportunity to provide feedback. To the question of wayfinding, a W3C workshop was held that resulted in a potential spec.
… Research question task force was engaged in that workshop.

<LisaSeemanKest> https://github.com/w3c/apa/issues/172

Lisa: Do you have time for RTC user needs? Do you need something specific from us? Issue 172...Joshua was assigned to it.

Jason: The feedback is under discussion but if you can clarify the "ask" that would be helpful.

Lisa: We've tried to be clear in terms of which user needs need to be tweaked. Written a draft of user need for you.

Lisa: Issue was related to independent volume control that could benefit from further discussion. Others are still under consideration including newly proposed user requirements.

last was Jason, not Lisa

Jennie: Two SLP are in COGA, but the one that Jason referenced refers to the way microphone use is leveraged (audio output vs. microphone/telephone)
… what sort of technical requirements do you need to satisfy understanding?

Jason: Understanding scenario and user need would help. Wasn't clear what types of AAC devices were in question and relevant usage scenario.
… you've explained just now, so perhaps just revisit issue and add appropriate clarification. I can ensure that task force understands specific "ask".

Jennie: I'll send an email to Justine, EA, any other interested parties and we can draft user scenario that will hopefully be helpful.

Jason: That would work. I think we have an open issue in Github that could be commented on.
… with natural language work, some comments are already included in draft but they aren't comprehensive. Not complete and requirements need to be expanded.

Lisa: Jason, would you email a link to these documents? When do you want comments by?

Jason: Earlier is better. Informal comments are welcome whenever they arise. More formal comments are needed as calls for reviews are released.
… FPWD stage is important although earlier comments are welcome.
… subsequent working drafts will also be open to comment although it would be helpful to receive feedback before CfC.

<Fazio> dfazio@helixopp.com

Jason: only one that is in early stages is natural language user requirements doc that Lisa has responded to. A Wiki page exists related to media synchronization and I'll share a link to that.

Lisa: Methodology for working with people that have mental health concerns...is this a topic that your task force would be interested in? Particularly key questions on methodology, etc.?

<Fazio> I've got lots a research

<LisaSeemanKest> mental health : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1G9SJSiAT-SYDVNxBfwOe7A6VPqsmX4Ua0QT7-NrfQTA/edit#heading=h.uf4tmgrjcioj

Jason: Should be noted that that research questions TF did review Content Usable. Task force is part of APA so anything put forward for note track would be reviewed by the task force participants.
… I'd be happy to help coordinate other issues that need to be looked at via APA chairs. Rest assured task forces will review any note track documents.
… Focus of research questions task force is on specific/types of technologies and their implications for accessibility. For example, doc that focused in intersection of mental health and disability would be of interest to help inform requirements although the paper itself may not be a relevant
… deliverable for the task force.
… Hope that's helpful.

Lisa; Yes thanks.
… thank you for joining us, Jason.

<Albert> Do we have orientation after?

<cweidner> I'll be the primary one, Lisa

<Fazio> I need to get going.

<johnkirkwood> david when do you want to touchbase?

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 127 (Wed Dec 30 17:39:58 2020 UTC).


Succeeded: s/call/calls

Maybe present: David, Jason, Justine, Lisa, Rachael