Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

17 March 2021


becky, Fazio_, FredrikFischer, IanPouncey, IrfanA, janina, JF, joconnor, John_Paton, JonnyJames, Lionel_Wolberger, LisaSeemanKest, paul_grenier
Amy, Christos, Gottfried
becky, JF, Lionel_Wolberger

Meeting minutes

<FredrikFischer> Hi everyone! Still out of a mic (working on that...). Hope you're all well.

<LisaSeemanKest> david take a look at https://www.w3.org/2020/10/TPAC/apa-personalization.html

<FredrikFischer> Welcome Lionel!

Agenda Review & Announcements

janina: Some add'l items
… responses to an APA comment that resulted in a seperate agendum
… Lisa Seeman, a co-facilitator is here to kick start "content useable"
… any additions to agenda?

<janina> https://www.w3.org/groups/

janina: a new calendaring tool is available
… integrates with Google Calendar and Outlook
… at some point we should review the a11y of this tool

Lionel_Wolberger: points out, this "groups" link does not show calendar

paul_grenier: Under working groups are accordions, under accordions there is a calendar tab, took some digging.

janina: It's new
… in beta

becky: login, look on left hand side of the profile page, there is a my calendar section
… you can start there

Task Force Updates: COGA -- Lisa

janina: Welcome, Lisa

<LisaSeemanKest> https://raw.githack.com/w3c/coga/consistency_checks/content-usable/index.html

LisaSeemanKest: COGA is asking to publish "Making Content Usable for People with Cognitive and Learning Disabilities"
… this is a note, not a specification
… scenario: I've got a website and I want to include people with cognitive and learning disabilities
… this document will help
… not intended for legal compliance assessment, but meant as an actionable document
… started by looking at research into an array of very different disabilities (learning, cognitive, intellectual, early stages of dementia)
… a lot of this research was behind paywalls, so we had assistance from University personnel

<JF> I'm love, love, LOVING the pesonas: https://www.w3.org/TR/coga-usable/#persona

LisaSeemanKest: asking APA to publish this as a note
… might be a version 2 in future
… that would include mental health, artificial intelligence
… impact of different languages (feedback from i18n)
… next version would include co-morbidity (when a person has two problems)

janina: lets not allow the perfect ot be the enemy of the good-enough

LisaSeemanKest: We may have some proofreading needed, editorial review

janina: there will be a call for consensus in the next hour

Lionel_Wolberger: (sees some funny characters on this line, to "œthe driver's side" or "œthe East Wing".)

<LisaSeemanKest> yes, that is what we were talking about

JF: Super +1 to including the personas

<becky> +1 on JF comment on the great personas

davidfazio: this is very useful to functional needs

<joconnor> Also congrats on the personas

<Zakim> MichaelC, you wanted to say AG CfC delayed, best to do in parallel

MichaelC: The AG call for consensus is going to be delayed, so APA CFC may need to be held off

Lionel_Wolberger: (asks davidfazio-- what is your handle in this IRC chat?)

Lionel_Wolberger: Fazio_ : I see Fazio now, ignore.

JF: Personas are so helpful to bring people gently to "things they dont know", they break down barriers

<FredrikFischer> +1 on the personas. Brilliant!

Fazio_: I have seen these personas taken up already, so they are helping.

janina: Personas are particularly important when disabilities are "hidden"

Lionel_Wolberger: We have sought out a PTSD persona, and found it hard to find, partially because the vulnerable population itself often denies having the issue

LisaSeemanKest: A lot of people hide COGA-related disabilities, particularly at work
… cultural issues are relevant

Lionel_Wolberger: shout out to becky , can you take over scribing

<Lionel_Wolberger> Lionel_Wolberger: thanks Becky! see y'all soon

<FredrikFischer> I'd also like to submit myself for COGA consideration if possible.

paul_grenier: just a reminder that sleep deprivation and other "common" issues does affect mental health

LisaSeemanKest: yes there is an overlap

janina: there will be a cfc soon

Task Force Updates: Other TF

janina: anything from other task forces? ... nothing heard so moving forward

FAST Progress

MichaelC: Silver TF restarted functional task force, looking at user needs, Josh has updated list of user needs at a high level - will cycle through the functional tf and then back to silver

MichaelC: for feedback before encorporating into FAST

New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

MichaelC: no new charters this week

Horizontal Review Issues Tracker https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

<MichaelC> Content Security Policy Level 3

MichaelC: Content security policy level 3; there is an old action to ask them if this affect bookmarklets

becky: I believe I was supposed do that and have not done

MichaelC: image resource - JF has an action on this one

MichaelC: indexed data API 3.0

<MichaelC> Indexed Database API 3.0

MichaelC: defines apis of a database of apis of key value pairs; dev uses api to search fo db entries

Janina: no objections to signing off

<MichaelC> Post-Spectre Web Development

MichaelC: Need to adopt new strategies for threat model for detecting and addressing threats

paul_grenier: spectre is threat detection

MichaelC: believe it is lower level after a skim read and don't believe we need to worry about

paul_grenier: yes, this is lower level, don't believe we need to worry

this last was new on TR - now moving to HR

<MichaelC> https://github.com/w3c/silver/issues/474

<MichaelC> https://github.com/w3c/silver/issues/475

<MichaelC> https://github.com/w3c/silver/issues/476

MichaelC: issues about meetings; were discussed these at RQTF

MichaelC: if we track these, we could hold up WCAG 3 moving forward until we respond

janina: expect a quick resolution within weeks via RQTF

MichaelC: will need to circle back when we have a response to the above

<MichaelC> https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5983

MichaelC: CSS fonts - advance override details

ian: I looked at this last week; No concerns from me, has to do with font shaping at the font level; nothing will override user preferences; it adds additional ways of displaying fonts

janina: want to consider further; reference at silver call to bbc research into the usability of fonts

IanPouncey: more result presented at conf. last week - result was there is no really best guidance - everything is individualized; this spec doesn't override any set user preferences

<JF> I believe the 'expert' Janina is referencing is Bruno Maag, Typeface Designer at Dalton Maag, who did work for BBC, and as Ian notes, continues to do so

MichaelC: just recently CSS decided to drop the advanced override feature, are we still okay with that

LisaSeemanKest: people have used extension to put your own css on the page; I think we want to promote user preferences - these can make the page more readable for the person;

ian: this just allows an adjustment at the font level - you can still make font adjustments via user preferences

IanPouncey: this override is not about user preferences, it is overriding the settings within a font definition

Janina: want to defer further discussion on the override user preference - this doesn't seem to be the specification. for that

<Fazio_> +1

LisaSeemanKest: need to be aware of movement when font is changed

IanPouncey: that is not part of this spec.

Janina: okay to pass on this

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

TR was taken up above under horizontal review

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/open

janina: John F from last week #2284

JF: no action this week

JF: the notion of label has been introduced within the image - rather than alt; we need to make sure that label info is included into the a11y tree

APA Manifest Comment Response https://github.com/w3c/manifest-app-info/issues/29

becky: we had a comment with a CfC that Paul did for Web Manifest

we've received a response and they have a pull request for our first issue, but they are "on the fence" on the second issue

not sure we want an actual "description" field

PG: the label = the Accessible Name, but we also need the ability for an Accessible Description

so perhaps we can clarify the comment for a clearer response

Action: Paul G to follow up on the response to https://github.com/w3c/manifest-app-info/issues/29

<trackbot> 'Paul' is an ambiguous username. Please try a different identifier, such as family name or username (e.g., paulbohman, pgrenier).

<FredrikFischer> Thanks everyone, scribes aplenty anbd the rest! All the best from Vienna. See you!

ACTION on paul_grenier to follow up on the response to https://github.com/w3c/manifest-app-info/issues/29

<trackbot> Error finding 'on'. You can review and register nicknames at <https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/users>.

Summary of action items

  1. Paul G to follow up on the response to https://github.com/w3c/manifest-app-info/issues/29
Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 127 (Wed Dec 30 17:39:58 2020 UTC).


Maybe present: davidfazio, ian, MichaelC, PG