Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

24 February 2021


(tink), amy_c, becky, christos, Christos_Petrou, Ela, Fazio, Fazio_, Fredrik_Fischer, Gottfried, IanPouncey, Irfan, janina, JF, JonnyJames, JPaton, Léonie, Matthew_Atkinson, MichaelC, NeilS, paul_grenier
Amy Carney, Matthew Atkinson

Meeting minutes

<becky> https://raw.githack.com/w3c/apa/charter-2021/charter.html

<becky> https://github.com/w3c/webauthn/issues/1557

<becky> https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

<becky> https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

<becky> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/open

<becky> https://raw.githack.com/w3c/apa/charter-2021/charter.html

<becky> https://github.com/w3c/webauthn/issues/1557

<becky> https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

<becky> https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

<becky> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/open

Agenda Review & Announcements

BG: discussion on turning on captions - need to have a chair made host

BG: any other reviews or announcements?

GZ: have discussed personalization and media queries Lvl 5. Has a student who has done a great PoC - includes some features we've looked for. Student has a polyfil if interested
… Student could come and do a presentation either for here, or for another group

BG: thinks personalization would be interested. Open question - anyone else?

<paul_grenier> +1 interested

JF: thinks that APA should host this and invite other interested parties

MC: we can invite people to any meeting on a one-off basis

BG: not sure if we have anything critical - Propose to work with Gottfried to arrange a call

GZ: Can work with student to do that

BG: can we shoot for next week? will that be enough time?

GZ: can investigate and respond tomorrow

JS: do we know who we want to invite

BG: share with AG WG?

JS: suggest we spend some time on a call - invite as many as we can think of, and then maybe even create a brief demo video

GZ: student already made a video for thesis - in German with english Captions/sub-titles

BG: plan for 2 weeks for now? (March 10)

GZ: will need to check with student

BG: Any other announcements?

<fredrik_fischer> Sorry, for some reason my mic is out of joint. How much time should be allocated for Mar 10?

<Gottfried> Video with demo of my student's work: https://youtu.be/cmnjqyWQvvw

Rechartering CfC:

<fredrik_fischer> Thanks!

BG: we have a CfC - most agreed but a few editorial changes needed to be made
… so some minor updates to charter

<becky> https://raw.githack.com/w3c/apa/charter-2021/charter.html

BG: believe that because these were simply editorial changes no need for another CfC. Next step is to send to W3M review

BG: note that some start and end dates remain TBC

Task Force Updates

BG: anyone who can provide updates?

<Fazio> Nothing in COGA

PG: Pronunciation are moving ahead to complete our FPWD - target end of this week early next week

<Fazio> still working through issues on our Making Content Usable doc

BG: Personalization - moving through issues to prepare for CfC for CR - slogging thrrough issues

JO: RQTF had a good call - RAUR almost ready. couple of i's to dot and t's to cross with XAUR.
… interesting conversations around 'conversational applications' (sic?)

JS: we also discussed a color workshop
… hoping to put together a presentation to offer to workshop, but unable to do that.

Seeking an APA member to participate - looking to set up virtual workshop sessions (+interactive), and believe there are at least 2 items of interest
… daltonization and flash mitigation - can those be addressed in the user-agent space?

<becky> https://www.w3.org/Graphics/Color/Workshop/

JS: workshop in April/May - schedule not yet announced

DF: some small editorial updates on Content Usable

FAST Progress

<fredrik_fischer> @JF: like your responses to it at least. And your wit. ;)

JO: Michael and I have been meeting regularly - making good progress. Have some questions that we'll want to surface (shortly)

we'll be seeking input - want buy-in and feedback

MC: Looking to restart Functional Requirements group
… there is a connection here with WCAG 3 and other activities - we have ideas on how that would work, but want the feedback
… working on a database to illustrate a demo - almost there

Final review of Web Auth issue #1557

<becky> https://w3c.github.io/webauthn/#sctn-accessiblility-considerations

<becky> https://github.com/w3c/webauthn/issues/1557

BG: we had a CfC that we responded to. Group has closed our issue and provided an accessibility section

Thanks to paul for responding to questions

BG: [reads aloud their edit]

BG: we need to close the loop here - note we've reviewed response and then officially close it

PG: happy with changes - makes it clear for implementors

<fredrik_fischer> I'm very happy with the changes, too. Looking forward to implementations.

<fredrik_fischer> Thanks for the good work Paul!

BG: thanks to Paul for that

New Charters Review

MC: web auth issue has been dealt with

<MichaelC> PROPOSED Web Application Security Working Group Charter

MC: a new charter: web applications security WG

a re-charter

[MC reviews key elements of the new charter]

MC: includes a section on a11y impacts, but no liason to APA

but given they added an a11y section, suggest we let them be

MC: they have a hook if we need to pursue

BG: Fine with charter and not having a direct link to APA

JS: also agree - fine as is. This group/community have been responsive to our concerns and feedback

Horizontal Review Issues Tracker

<MichaelC> [css-ruby-1] What properties apply to annotation containers?

MC: there is a CSS Ruby item we discussed last week

JF: This *may* have an impact on Pronunciation

JF & PG subscribed to that issue

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

MC: new on TR - ePub accessibility 1.1 and ePub TEchniques 1.1

BG: suspect twe don't need to review - any thoughts?

+1 to being comfortable with that work

<MichaelC> EPub Accessibility 1.1

<MichaelC> EPUB Accessibility Techniques 1.1

CSS Update (Amy) https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues

BG: Amy sent regrets, but provided this feedback

<becky> Amy provided the following comment: Update: Issue created in CSSWG repo to address people-first language in Accessibility Concerns section of CSS Color Module Level 4. https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/6035

JF: leave this in Amy's hands

Actions Checkin (Specs)


Action: 2282

<becky> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2021Feb/0048.html

JS: believe we're promoting longer descriptions using summary/details

[process discussion]

BG: will take care of that - will add link to ARIA Accessible Description

BG: will issue a CfC on that comment
… reminder that everyone stay on top of their assigned actions

[discussion on ACTIONS maintenance]

+1 to closing ACTIONS OBE

Other Business


BG: give back 10 minutes

<fredrik_fischer> Thanks for a great meeting! And bon appetit, Becky!

Summary of action items

  1. 2282
Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 127 (Wed Dec 30 17:39:58 2020 UTC).


Maybe present: BG, DF, GZ, JO, JS, MC, PG