Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

17 February 2021


(tink), amy_c, becky, christos, Ela, Fazio, Fazio_, Fredrik_Fischer, IanPouncey, Irfan, janina, JF, JonnyJames, JPaton, LĂ©onie, Matthew_Atkinson, MichaelC, NeilS, paul_grenier
Becky, Gottfried
JF, paul_grenier

Meeting minutes

<christos> who's here?

<JF> +1 to enabling captions/transcript in Zoom

Agenda Review & Announcements

janina: any annoucements?

Rechartering CfC: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa-admin/2021Feb/0001.html

janina: we've had only a few votes on the charter. We need more members to vote. Reminder, there's an open cfc that runs through Friday midnight EST.

<Fazio_> We didn't get a chance to discuss in coga last week

Task Force Updates

<Fazio_> I'll make sure we discuss tomorrow

janina: pronunciation did not meet this week, working on publishing documents. Personalization also did not meet.

janina: any other TF need to provide updates?

FAST Progress

joconnor: we're working on consolidating user needs, structure of relationships, and Michael is working on the database.

New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

MichaelC: web machine learning working group

MichaelC: we owe them comments

janina: I have an action item for that, incomplete

janina: let's sign off on it, too low of a level for our concern right now

MichaelC: spacial data on the web working group

<MichaelC> Spatial Data on the Web Working Group

MichaelC: we looked at it last week and asked the question to update liason from WAI to APA. They replied about how they're coordinating with linked data.

janina: I think that's sufficient, we can sign off.

<Fazio_> COGA also interested in smart cities

Fazio_: coga is very interested in the ISO smart cities work in progress

Horizontal Review Issues Tracker https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

<MichaelC> [css-ruby] visibility:collapse on ruby annotations

<JF> +1 to Paul there

JF: "how do you envision this working in the browser, with a keyboard?" so be proactive with our concerns rather than just wait and see

JF: I'm willing to work on a draft before we respond in github

JF: paul_grenier and amy_c I'd like your comments as well when I kick this off

Action: JF to kick off an email thread to respond to https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5927

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2283 - Kick off an email thread to respond to https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5927 [on John Foliot - due 2021-02-24].

janina: yes, we'll track this

<MichaelC> <select multiple> is exposed as a listbox, not a combobox

janina: we'll track it

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

MichaelC: none this week

CSS Update (Amy) https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues

<amy_c> https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues/32

amy_c: is already being tracked

<amy_c> https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues/34

<amy_c> https://www.w3.org/TR/css-color-4/#a11y-sec

amy_c: the CSS color module level 4 Ian stated no concerns. There's now an accessibility considerations section. It would be great if it were reviewed.

we can do without the word "sufferers". Alternative: "people living with migraines or epilepsy"

janina: we can drop that issue over there and close this one.

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/open

PG: inwebmanifest spec, there is a sentence on a11y" Authors are encouraged to provide a label..."

PG: think it should be a MUST not a SHOULD

<Fazio> donq+

Q: if there is no other MUST or SHOULD in document, if there are no other instances of those terms what to do?

MC: we should ask them to use the non RFC 2119 term of Must

MC: we've struggled with this issue previous with ARIA.

PG: so then suggest to add a sentence "If there is a question of what to use as a label, use the page heading (<title>?)

MC: Sounds like a useful comment

PG: will do so then

<paul_grenier> Fazio: is the point to provide a label to know that a screen shot is there or to provide a good label.

<Zakim> JF, you wanted to comment on needs

<paul_grenier> Fazio: there's a disconnect between the amount of information from a screen shot and what would fit in an accessible name

<paul_grenier> JF: i agree it would be helpful to have all description information available, but right now the bigger issue is making sure we have a good accessible name in the dom/axtree

<paul_grenier> janina: rather than hearing screenshot screenshot screenshot it would be helpful to have something that provides a little more context. we're not likely to get the level of manual intervention needed to fully describe the image.

<paul_grenier> JF: it's going to be used like a thumbnail, not a fully detailed examination of the page

<paul_grenier> JF: a description would be also helpful (not currently in spec)

<Matthew_Atkinson> +1 to the idea of emphasising "accessible name" and to the idea of having an optional description.

Other Business

Summary of action items

  1. JF to kick off an email thread to respond to https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5927
Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 127 (Wed Dec 30 17:39:58 2020 UTC).


Maybe present: joconnor, MC, PG, Q