Cognitive and Learning Disabilities Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

11 Feb 2021


Fazio, Jennie, kirkwood, present, Rain, Rachael, stevelee_, krisannekinney_
Roy, Lisa



<Jennie> scribe: EA


<stevelee_> prsent+

Jennie confirmed starting with Inclusive language topic - Jennie the link for the resolution process

Rachael is reminding everyone of behalf of W3C that we need to be careful to ensure we use inclusive language

Jennie thanked Rachael for her comment

Jennie also mentioned the fact that we have a topic on inclusive language related to person first language

<Jennie> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/PlanningPage#Timelines_and_actions

Image subgroup as first item - Justine has been working on the items and sends regrets

<krisannekinney_> +present

Abi will add changes 195 - 163 and will get back to the team

E.A. and Rachael to finish personas next week

Roy's action items to be left till l later.

Steve confirmed that he will be meeting Lisa on Monday and has nearly finished the pattern review.

Rachael suggested a final check to review all updates.

Rachael is keeping on going issues open for the next week

<Jennie> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/PlanningPage#Timelines_and_actions

Jennie sending PDF as failed to reach the list.

Proposed Content Usable publication date

Steve wondered when the publication was due...

Roy will take the Google docs and get them into Github. Then final review and then AG and APA will CFC prior to publication, taking account to possible changes, the date may not be till the first week in April


Inclusive language

<Jennie> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/COGA_Resolution_Processes

Issues when raised may need different decision making - edits are often done by smaller groups

Rain asked about the public materials relating to identity first for those who may be on the Autistic spectrum and how decisions were made

David replied that they had tried to contact different Autism organisations and then developed a poll and several individuals who have Autism repled that they felt it was part of them and so a link will be provided to the research.

Jennie felt there needs to be further discussion and that the outcome could be put into the beginning of the document.

David has linked to the survey in his Linkedin profile

Rain confirmed that the question about person first has been answered.

<Jennie> https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6755550272950554624

Jennie requested that this should be high profile and need to document the process

Jennie asked if we have to document the survey in a different way

Rachael - suggested possibly sending an email to the list about the process and a snap shot of the survey

<Jennie> Justine: Is the group comfortable moving forward with identity-first language throughout Content Usable for autistic people? Per David F. there is overwhelming support for the use of identity-first language.

David said that poll included a mix of those who have Autism as well as those working in this area and family and friends. Those with Autism felt they wanted it as 'a characeristic of their identity"

David confirmed that this goes into the AAC and John Kirkwood confirmed the same with the blind community.

<JohnRochford> https://autisticadvocacy.org/about-asan/identity-first-language/

Jennie added that she read a similar trend being mentioned in an Autism publication.

<Jennie> https://autisticadvocacy.org/about-asan/identity-first-language/

Jennie mentioned that other groups are also mentioned this and John Rochford said it is also true of the Deaf community.

<kirkwood> +1 to JR

Rain is concerned that when thinking internationally there are still very strong views about the way language is used in different cultures. Need to ensure we are being fair about the way we use identity first language

Rachael is going to write a specific paragraph about the variations in the way language is used for people's identity

David mentioned that we are heading in the direction of personalisation and this choice can be made when working with documents.

Rachael feels this may be hard to achieve in our present documents for W3C and this could be rather difficult.

Jennie added that it is also an issue when working with a group of individuals not just as a single person.

Rachael will add this idea for future work due to the complexity.

David agreed, knowing it was going to be a lot of work

<Jennie> Poll: Is the group comfortable moving forward with identity-first language throughout Content Usable for autistic people, knowing we will have an explanatory paragraph?

<JohnRochford> +1


<krisannekinney_> +1

<Rachael> +1

<Rain> +1

<kirkwood> +1

<Fazio> +1

<Jennie> +1

<JohnRochford> Gotta go, All!

Jennie confirmed decision

RESOLUTION: Move forward with identity-first language throughout Content Usable for autistic people, knowing we will have an explanatory paragraph


Steve is sharing the document with the images/icon designed to support the document.

Comments requested by Jennie

David felt that the significant navigation elements felt too light - make them bolder and heavier font

Rain had many issues and offered to help by marking it up and sending round to everyone - hard to identify as clickable. Font is a tight font, the patterns below do not help, shoppig cart and search too close. Use of italics challenging,

<Fazio> heck yeah. do it


<Rachael> +1 to Rain's offer

<stevelee_> +1, very good offer!

<kirkwood> +1

Jennie thanks Rain and the group for their help but need to be careful about timeline for publication - need to submit changes by end of tomorrow so the designer can work on it over the weekend

<Rachael> ACTION: Rachael to make sure designer is included in acknowledgements

<trackbot> Created ACTION-333 - Make sure designer is included in acknowledgements [on Rachael Montgomery - due 2021-02-18].

Rain confirmed that she could get it out by the end of the day

John Kirkwood said he could check the result

Yes please thank the designer


<Fazio> good job facilitating Jennie

<Jennie> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aRoYev1aAIHhIq37Itt96ueBwLh5zXMUeJBYxL0MCkQ/edit

Jennie - three icons for remembering - a/b/c around sticky notes - added comments

<Jennie> EA +1 (b) sticky notes for remembering please

<Jennie> Lisa: > I love option b as the sticky notes really represent remembering > things over other cognitive processes. > To me the check boxes represent deciding things and other executive > functions which are covered in others objectives.

<Jennie> Steve: +1 to to Lisa's thoughts on this

<Jennie> Jennie: These look really good. I opened the current content usable document and sized these images in the email to the same as those used in the Summary to try to imagine them in the size they may appear in the document before being magnified (https://www.w3.org/TR/coga-usable/#summary). With this in  mind, I like the first one with the checkboxes (A), but think the pencil may not be necessary. A suggestion would be to remove the pencil and [CUT]

<Fazio> B

<kirkwood> B

Jennie asked in it was (b) as the first image and the answer is that I think we thought it was the second one!

The screen we are seeing is very different from the email link we saw originally!!!

Ok going for B now and +1 to David's comment

Now moving the discussion about the icons to the list.

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Rachael to make sure designer is included in acknowledgements

Summary of Resolutions

  1. Move forward with identity-first language throughout Content Usable for autistic people, knowing we will have an explanatory paragraph
[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.200 (CVS log)
$Date: 2021/02/11 16:03:15 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision VERSION of 2020-12-31
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Default Present: Fazio, Jennie, kirkwood, present, Rain, Rachael, stevelee_, krisannekinney_
Present: Fazio, Jennie, kirkwood, present, Rain, Rachael, stevelee_, krisannekinney_

WARNING: Replacing previous Regrets list. (Old list: Justine)
Use 'Regrets+ ... ' if you meant to add people without replacing the list,
such as: <dbooth> Regrets+ Roy, Lisa

Regrets: Roy, Lisa
Found Scribe: EA
Inferring ScribeNick: EA

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

WARNING: No date found!  Assuming today.  (Hint: Specify
the W3C IRC log URL, and the date will be determined from that.)
Or specify the date like this:
<dbooth> Date: 12 Sep 2002

People with action items: rachael

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]